Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Cancelling holiday due to illness - how hard to get insurance payout?

4 replies

BG2015 · 19/06/2021 13:06

Does anyone know how hard this would be.

We've got a holiday to Kos in August (booked in 2019) paid in full.

I'm awaiting a cancer diagnosis and could really do with the £5k as opposed to the holiday being amended for next year.

We also have a second holiday to Cape Verde booked for October.

I just get the impression that it won't be easy.

OP posts:
Please
or

chocolatesaltyballs22 · 19/06/2021 13:11

If you didn't know about the illness at the time you booked your holiday, it shouldn't be too difficult. You'll probably have an excess to pay, and you'll need to check how much cover you have for cancellation.

Please
or

MayflowerMaisie · 19/06/2021 13:21

We’ve cancelled trips twice…. Once DS in hospital, the other DBIL was given weeks to live.
Both times our travel insurance paid out without any quibbling. Though we did need to provide evidence.
You may need letter from your consultant explaining why you can not travel.

Please
or

BG2015 · 19/06/2021 13:39

Ok thanks

With £7k in total over the two holidays it's money we will need going forward.

OP posts:
Please
or

NeverDropYourMoonCup · 19/06/2021 13:41

If you took out the insurance at the time of booking and prior to experiencing any symptoms or seeing the GP, it'll be easy as anything.

The GP can complete the form confirming the first date you sought attention, confirms you aren't fit to travel, you provide the booking invoices and the cancellation invoices along with proof of insurance with your claim and it's dealt with relatively quickly because you've provided everything the handler needs to process the claim in one go.

When I used to do these claims, if I had everything I needed, a cancellation claim would take roughly 2 and a half minutes from looking at it for the first time to raising the payment including having a couple of sips of coffee in the process.

I hope your claim goes as smoothly as that, and that your treatment is as manageable as it can be for a full recovery.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?