Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Need UK mini-break inspo

9 replies

AnnieShrill · 17/06/2021 20:46

Hello,

Where would you recommend for a mini-break in the UK?

Ideally no more than a 2 hour drive from Bedford.

Will be me, DH, 3 year old, and almost 1 year old.

Since coming out of lockdown I've lost my way with organising things.

Thanks in advance!

OP posts:
Please
or

deplorabelle · 17/06/2021 22:18

What do you like doing? When in the year do you want to go? Are you happy to do everything that's allowed under current restrictions or are you more cautious?

I would consider places that are massive draws for international tourists - London, Oxford and Cambridge.

For something quieter I'd go to the coast more or less anywhere that has sandy beaches.

Please
or

fuzzyduck1 · 17/06/2021 23:45

North Norfolk coast some nice places to go around there.
A day on a boat on the broads, Cromer, Wells next to the sea has a train that takes you from the town to the beach. (Could be your last chance to ride that train the council is trying to shut it down).

Or Great Yarmouth if you want entertainment.

Check out the Waveney river center. stayed there a couple of weeks ago. They have lodges and yurts and an indoor swimming pool.

Please
or

dohdohdoh · 18/06/2021 08:04

@deplorabelle DH and I like a long walk, pub lunch, museum etc. But not sure how possible it will be with two (I guess it is possible but not relaxing!). DC2 is a lockdown baby so we really haven't done many days out with two. We did last summer when restrictions were loosened, but she was an easy newborn then.

We've done a lot places near us, Oxford, Cambridge, Norfolk (we like Wells-next-Sea, and did the Sheringham to Holt line), Suffolk - but only Southwold I think, Lincoln/Stamford, and the Cotswolds. Sorry I've drip fed. We don't mind revisiting these but just can't decide which one would be best with a 3 and 1 year olds. Probably can't go too wrong with any of them I guess. Also not sure if we should may do 3 days at centreparcs or something like that (we've never done it before).

We'd be looking to end of August I think, probably not the best time I know but it's the only time we can fit with work.

Please
or

deplorabelle · 18/06/2021 09:29

Centerparcs is great but you will be paying through the nose for it at that time of year, and I think they are rationing access to the pool so less relaxing than normal.

I think you'll be governed by where you can book - look for a cottage you like that's near a pub and snaffle it.

Because you like walking, pubs and museums, you will enjoy the break virtually anywhere in the UK I'd say. Just take it easy and find the joy in the location you find yourself in.

Please
or

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet · 18/06/2021 09:35

I'm near Bedford and North Norfolk coast would be ideal. Anywhere from Holme next the Sea to Holkham is gorgeous sandy beaches.

If you go you should check out Pensthorpe - their indoor play area Hootz House - is amazing. Loads of cute villages. Drove Orchards is great with the kids for food (pizza place and fish and chips now I think).

You've got the light railway Walsingham to Wells, and the Poppy Line steam railway (Holt to Sheringham).

Please
or

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet · 18/06/2021 09:38

@dohdohdoh What I would say is that Centerparcs is very booked up this year, and therefore what's remaining for this summer very pricy (my friend is looking at the Norfolk one, and the only thing she could find was 3 nights for £4k!!!). And I think you only get 2 x 1.5 hour pool slots too.

Please
or

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet · 18/06/2021 09:39

Also @AnnieShrill, Peak District? I think it took us 2hours 15 from near Bedford. Absolutely tonnes to do - we went at Easter - and all the eateries were well set up for Covid measures etc.

Please
or

idontlikealdi · 18/06/2021 09:42

I looked at Elveden Centre Parcs and it is booked through until October.

Please
or

Funf · 18/06/2021 20:35

I would head up north away from the crowds and try something new, Shropshire is fantastic a hidden gem
www.donthibernate.co.uk/shropshire-autumn-weekend/

Liverpool is a fab compact city with plenty going on, it has busy and quiet, some excellent parks and beaches nearby
www.donthibernate.co.uk/liverpool/
North Wales is also excellent a little bit of everything
www.donthibernate.co.uk/conwy/

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?