Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Travel insurance and anaphylaxis diagnosis / needing epi pens

7 replies

Cuntingseal · 16/06/2021 21:44

I have recently been diagnosed with having anaphylaxis and carry epi pens .
I usually have an annual travel policy but haven’t needed one for awhile !
Can anyone recommend an insurer that I could get cover with ?

OP posts:
Please
or

Neolara · 16/06/2021 21:49

My DD has anaphylaxis to peanuts. We get insurance through the Post Office.

Please
or

travailtotravel · 16/06/2021 21:54

Insurance for pre existing medical conditions. Have a google.

Please
or

MancyNitford · 16/06/2021 21:56

I had cancer last year. Luckily all now under control and I've insured with Staysure. They cover pre-existing conditions and I've found them pretty reasonable.

Please
or

MrsAvocet · 16/06/2021 21:56

We use goodtogoinsurance.
We've got a few different medical conditions including allergies in the family and they cover everything.
Bear in mind some airlines will insist you need a doctor's letter to take an epipen on board and it can take a few weeks to get one, so don't leave it too late - I nearly got caught out a few years ago. I'd always just had the prescription with me and it hadn't been an issue but when I enquired about safe food on one flight I was told I'd need a doctor's letter to authorise the EpiPen. (Never actually got asked to show it mind you!)

Please
or

Birnamwood · 16/06/2021 22:02

Bloody hell, I didn't know about the doctors note to carry epipens Shock

I've been abroad/flown many times since diagnosis and have never been questioned/refused even with them in hand luggage

Sorry op, I've not answered your question Grin

Please
or

MrsAvocet · 16/06/2021 22:15

No, me neither @Birnamwood, though after the woman on the helpline had mentioned it, I checked the airline's T&Cs and it was indeed written down. Can't remember which airline it was now though sorry. They didn't actually ask me for it, but now I know it's a possibility I do always carry the letter, just in case.

Please
or

Cuntingseal · 16/06/2021 22:16

I didn’t know about a doctors letter . I have the prescription paperwork and my NHS app shows my meds etc etc . I will ask my doctor for a letter.
I am going on a ferry within the UK but live in hope I will be able to fly to a hot country within the year….. .

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?