Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Mexico/Caribbean help please

18 replies

Thischarmlessgirl · 13/06/2021 14:59

Hi all

We are hoping to go away in December/February for some winter sun (Covid permitting!) looking for a luxury all inclusive, we were recommended Moon Palace in Cancun but it looks absolutely enormous and the latest reviews are mixed. The Maya Riveria Hyatt looks great. Does anyone have any experience or tips? Also considering Barbados but that seems much more expensive for Christmas and half term, we are five with three tweens. Budget £8k or thereabouts for 9 nights

OP posts:
Please
or

KentuckyCriedFricken · 13/06/2021 16:00

8k is unlikely to get you anything nice in Barbados at Christmas for 5 people. Mexico is more likely. Moon palace was the number one choice for honeymooners about 20 years ago (when we got married I was in a wedding chat group and if I had a quid for everyone going there for their honeymoon…) and back then it was a really good place. But it’s had its day and newer and better ones have taken over. Dreams properties are really nice. There are a few of them on the Mexican riviera and Dom Rep (not as glamourous as Barbados but it’s the Caribbean, it’s the same sun and cheaper).

Please
or

Thischarmlessgirl · 13/06/2021 16:15

Thank you
To clarify, didn’t mean actually for Christmas itself but early Jan potentially. You are right Mexico definitely is more bang for our buck but Barbados is appealing as it’s a shorter flight etc. Could probably push to 10k. Good to know about Moon Palace!

OP posts:
Please
or

20viona · 13/06/2021 16:26

I can highly recommend secrets the vine in cancun it's absolutely amazing. We went in december it was glorious weather every day.

Please
or

bookgirl1982 · 13/06/2021 16:31

Barbados is beautiful and well set up for villas and eating out. Not the same as Mexico which has the big teen-friendly all inclusives.

What are your 'must-haves'?

Please
or

Thischarmlessgirl · 13/06/2021 18:06

Thanks both
I’m leaning more towards AI and a resort rather than villa as the children would really enjoy other kids and activities etc, we have a home in Portugal so we spend a lot of time there in our villa but as they get older they need other kids!
Good choice of restaurants on site, spacious enough accommodation for five (ideally not all shoved in one room) we’d like to a little exploring but mainly flopping by a pool. I’ve heard the beaches in Mexico are a bit hit and miss with the seaweed problem but that’s not a deal breaker. Is the weather decent in Mexico at that time of year?

OP posts:
Please
or

20viona · 13/06/2021 18:59

Sorry didn't see you were taking kids that means secrets the vine is out it's adult only.

Please
or

BackToWhereItAllBegan · 13/06/2021 20:55

We've been to Finest Playa Mujeres, just north of Cancun, a few times. The swim up rooms are lovely and there's lots of good restaurant choices so no one will get bored of eating the same food every night!

Please
or

PieonaBarm · 13/06/2021 21:02

I've been to Mexico in January and it's good weather, not humid like in September/October.

My brother loves Moon Palace for kids, he's been twice with his (aged 8 and 11 last time) there's loads to do for them there and plenty restaurants. I can't advise on hotels though as we've no DC and go adult only!!

Please
or

Thischarmlessgirl · 13/06/2021 21:12

@PieonaBarm that’s helpful thank you, my kids are 8 and 10 so that might work, it’s just the sheer size of it which puts me off a bit.

OP posts:
Please
or

017HF · 13/06/2021 21:44

I went to Mexico for Christmas a couple of years ago and the weather wasn’t great. I went for a fortnight and it rained non-stop (torrential style such that the hotel grounds were flooded) on at least 5 days and most of the other days had some heavy rain - not trying to be a complete killjoy but I was expecting blazing sunshine every day and was bitterly disappointed!

Please
or

017HF · 13/06/2021 21:45

Also my friend got married at The Grand at Moon Palace (more expensive than Moon Palace but believe they share a complex?) and absolutely loved it, I think she’s been 3 times and said it’s amazing.

Please
or

Thischarmlessgirl · 13/06/2021 21:51

@017HF I’ll definitely avoid December then! I’ve looked at the Grand just now, looks like it’s on my short list as well as the Hyatt at Riveria

OP posts:
Please
or

cataline · 13/06/2021 21:53

We did Hotel Xcaret in Mexico with tweens in December a couple of years ago and it was incredible.

It would push your budget but the sheer number and quality of the activities, excursions, food, hotel etc make it actually really good value!

Please
or

CovidCorvid · 13/06/2021 22:22

I stayed at xcaret occidental a few years ago and it was amazing. A proper resort. Monkeys come on your balcony. The xcaret Park next to the hotel would be great for the kids.

Please
or

Thischarmlessgirl · 14/06/2021 15:53

@CovidCorvid
@cataline
Thank you! I’ll have a look 👀

OP posts:
Please
or

motogogo · 14/06/2021 16:03

If you want February, have you considered somewhere like Sri Lanka. Cheaper than Mexico and nowhere near the crime problems. Fairly cheap there to get a private driver to do trips, Uber operate so found going around town easy. We didn't bother with ai, just b&b and paid for what we wanted, we loved going to independent restaurants, often in people's front gardens! Saw crocodiles and snakes on a river trip, shirking, sailing, bottle fed elephants. Including flights, 5 * hotels and all activities, private driver etc came to around £1500 a head feb half term 10 nights pre covid, 2 rooms. Weather was glorious

Please
or

Chihuahuacat · 14/06/2021 16:25

I went to the moon palace (albeit about 20 years ago) and it was gorgeous. Really great for families (we actually stayed at the sun palace which is smaller and I believe adults only now) but visited moon palace.

I’ve also heard good things about the Excellent / Dreams resorts.

Please
or

Thischarmlessgirl · 14/06/2021 17:01

@motogogo thanks I hadn’t thought about Sri Lanka but will certainly have a look, we’ve done Malaysia a lot before kids but never Sri Lanka.
@Chihuahuacat that’s good to know! Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?