Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Amber destination-Please help me understand Covid testing

8 replies

whataboutbob · 10/06/2021 14:25

It seems the french government has dropped the requirement for 10 day quarantine if coming in from Britain. However as it’s amber it seems I need a PCR before going, then 2 tests in the way back and 10 day quarantine with option to release on day 5. My questions are: can I self administer a lateral flow after return instead of paying private company for a PCR ( I have lots of lateral flow test kits at home as DH and I both public sector). Would that be valid as a “test to release “? I’m booked to go in the 22 nd of June but could postpone the flight ( I’d get a voucher). Not sure if the trip justifies the hassle.

OP posts:
Please
or

ursuslemonade · 10/06/2021 14:30

You have to pay for all your tests. Can't use your own.
It sucks, I know.

Please
or

whataboutbob · 10/06/2021 14:47

Thanks ursus. Have you done this. What is the likely cost? People talk in terms of 100s but I’ve found companies online doing tests for £29 so that would be below £100
for 3. It’s just me going. Or am I missing something?

OP posts:
Please
or

ursuslemonade · 10/06/2021 14:52

I haven't no, but I'm facing the same thing. Cheapest I've found was 60ish quid per test, are you sure about the 29 pound one?

Please
or

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep · 10/06/2021 15:02

You have to use the government approved list of testers
You can't use a cheap private test, a LFT or a NHS test
It's a racket, either to line the pockets of their mates or to provide research data free of charge to the government (or both)
I wouldn't travel abroad until they have reviewed their requirements personally.

Please
or

Hermie12 · 10/06/2021 15:50

I’d also think about what day of the week you’d do a day 5 early release test . My husbands fell on a Saturday so he didn’t get results until the Wednesday and ended up annoyed that he wasted extra money and only effectively got back to work a day earlier than if he’d just waited .

Please
or

whataboutbob · 10/06/2021 15:51

The £29 was found on a quick browse round the government Covid and travel page. It would be good to get feedback from someone who has recently returned from an amber country.

OP posts:
Please
or

Franklin12 · 10/06/2021 17:27

I am eyeing up Maderia and they say you can use the CV19 App to show you have had two jabs and are fully covered. No PCR or rapid test needed. Coming back to the UK you do need a rapid test under supervision by booking a video call with a supplier or something similar like taking a photo of the test and sending to the supplier. They need to see you doing it and then send you via email a confirmation. I also believe the chemists in Maderia are offering rapid tests for £20 or so.

The test I presume has to be supervised otherwise you could use any old test that was done months ago and perhaps not even undertaken by you!

Day 2 and Day 8 needs to be booked before you leave the foreign country as you need the reference number for your passenger locator form.

I will do all of this but can fully understand why some people just wait until next year!

Please
or

whataboutbob · 11/06/2021 15:23

I’ve decided with a heavy heart not to go. What’s really put the Kybosh on it is I committed to a long weekend in Scotland with DH a week after I get back. Even with test to release not getting the results back within 24 hours would mean I can’t go to Scotland. The cost: benefit ratio just doesn’t work out 🙁.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?