Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Has anyone tried to change a flight with Ryanair?

11 replies

hoomans · 04/06/2021 08:32

I'm trying to reschedule a flight to Barcelona at the end of June for September and the cheeky feckers have tripled the prices! I've spent hours on the phone trying to get though to them to ask if I can have a voucher instead due to the price change and I'm told there's nothing we can do, sorry. I've just changed a flight with easy jet no problem.

OP posts:
Please
or

WeAreTheHeroes · 04/06/2021 08:36

And this is one of the reasons they are cheap. We vowed never to fly with them again a few years ago, nothing to do with their terms or charges. Check the terms and conditions. If they cancel the flight you're booked on they will have to refund you.

Please
or

hoomans · 04/06/2021 08:44

I wouldn't have booked with them if I had a choice but they are the only airline that fly there from my local airport, won't make that mistake again! I could wait for them to cancel it but they only waive the no change fee if you re book at least seven days before the flight leaves. They are a terrible company.

OP posts:
Please
or

Melitza · 04/06/2021 08:48

I've just looked at several flights to Barcelona from various airports and they're about £25.
Is it the return that's expensive?
I assume many people are changing to September and it pushes prices up.

I have made mistakes on my bookings with Ryanair and they've changed them for me. I find them really helpful.
You do have to follow their terms to the letter though.

Please
or

hoomans · 04/06/2021 08:51

It comes up as about £20 pound per flight and then when you click on the price it triples for some reason. The man on the phone said it's not them doing it is automatic depending on how many people are looking at the flight Hmm

OP posts:
Please
or

hoomans · 04/06/2021 09:04

And also strangely if I want to book on Skyscanner it's cheaper but if I want to change my flight through the Ryanair website it's more expensive but that's the only way that you can reschedule.

OP posts:
Please
or

Catquestion · 04/06/2021 09:08

I tried to reschedule a flight from June to September. The flight prices themselves were ok but there was a £90 admin fee and they were charging an additional £48 on top of what I’d already paid for an additional cabin bag. I’m going to just cancel the holiday 😔

Please
or

backinthebox · 04/06/2021 09:17

This always amazes me. The price of fuel is volatile but as a general rule the cost of fuel between the uk and Spain is going to come in at about £8-15 per passenger depending on a variety of factors, assuming the flight is full. This means that the OP hopes that the remaining £5-12 of their £20 ticket price will cover:
Pilots
Cabin crew
Dispatcher
Check in (or terminal) staff
Security
Take off fees
Landing fees
Parking fees
Cleaning/loo emptying
Insurance
Oh, and the purchase cost of a £70000000 aircraft to start with! Yes, 70 million pounds. That’s an awful lot of flights at £20 per ticket. The first thing that goes out of the window in these cases is customer service.

Also bear in mind that the aviation industry is on its knees atm. The UK government imposes quarantine on destinations with only days notices, and has offered no aid beyond the standard furlough to it (although it is doubtful Ryanair would benefit even if there was aid, as it does everything in its power to be not-uk in order to avoid tax, decent employee work conditions, UK flight time limits, union representation, etc) But the state of aviation means atm that airlines are treading a very thin line between selling tickets at a price low enough to entice potential passengers in while charging enough to keep their head above water. Airlines are not interested in making a profit atm - they are trying not to go out of business before business picks back up, whenever that might be.

So though I generally have no sympathy at all for Ryanair, in current climate I do. I don’t have any sympathy for a passenger complaining that they can’t just shuffle their below-break-even value ticket around at will when it is clear that the industry is staggering along. You could pay more and book with an airline that offers flexibility.

Please
or

hoomans · 04/06/2021 09:25

Actually the basic flight was £20 but by the time baggage and choosing a seat was added it was about £50 each way so £100 for the whole flight Confused

OP posts:
Please
or

hoomans · 04/06/2021 09:26

So no I'm not trying to do down poor Ryanair.

OP posts:
Please
or

backinthebox · 04/06/2021 11:25

My apologies, the flight was £50, not £20. But I forgot to add in Air Passenger Duty, (APD,) and I had deliberately left of baggage handling charges because I had assumed you would try and put your stuff in a cabin bag.

APD costs £13 per person per short haul flight no matter who you fly with, so the amount you are paying to Ryanair is still only £37. Take off the fuel costs and that’s roughly about £25 going to the airline, out of which they still have to pay for:
Pilots
Cabin crew
Dispatcher
Check in (or terminal) staff
Security
Take off fees
Landing fees
Parking fees
Cleaning/loo emptying
Insurance
Baggage handling
And the £70million jet.

And somehow they still have to find the means of staying afloat in an uncertain world that presently closes borders with no notice. Surely you can see how the amount you are paying does not add up? The only way those cheap tickets can continue to exist is when the airlines have total certainty that they can fill every single seat and that the flights will go. That certainty is gone - the government has been changing travel rules on an almost weekly basis for over a year now. Flights are not going to be cheap or easy for a long time, and YABU to expect anything otherwise.

Please
or

rookiemere · 04/06/2021 12:44

Sorry OP but I don't see how this is Ryanair's fault with flight price more expensive for desirable dates shocker. It's simple economics that certain dates ( when we're more likely to be able to travel) are more expensive. Just pick another date if you don't like it.

Oh and skyscanner has different prices I think because its not fully live dynamic pricing- it may take a few hours or a day for price changes to be reflected.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?