Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

What do you want in a bungalow/apartment/villa on arrival

9 replies

Joolz2000 · 03/06/2021 00:30

I have just tried to find a service which fills the fridge before arrival on the Canary Islands.

Couldn't find one.

If there were one available what sort of stuff would you like to be available?

It might be nappies or wet wipes (OK not in the fridge), cold snacks, ice or even gin/prosecco (Mamma needs a break too!).

Does this sound like something folks might use or is it just me over thinking the problem? There are fantastic tips here on things like lining the outer layers of your suitcase with nappies.

I am thinking there may be a business in ensuring your apartment is packed with the stuff you need so when you arrive at 8pm after a long flight you don't have to then go shopping.

Would you be willing to pay for such a local service? Everything would be charged at local supermarket prices (with receipts) plus a charge for someone to do the shopping and deliver to your room so it's there when you arrive.

OP posts:
Please
or

DelilahTheParrot · 03/06/2021 00:38

Have a look at centre parcs OP. They do this. I think you can pick based on 2 or 3 options for family grocery packs which are in your lodge on arrival. Standardise your options and make it a single price, don’t bother with the faff of receipts etc. People can take it or leave it.

www.centerparcs.co.uk/discover-center-parcs/things-to-do/shopping-and-extras/family-grocery-pack.html

Please
or

TheDuchessOfBeddington · 03/06/2021 01:18

I would use a service like this, particularly for shorter breaks where I don’t want to lose a morning going out to find a shop. I would require the following...

Coffee, tea, milk, butter, bread, eggs, salad
Locally sourced ham, cheese, wine, cakes/pastries.

I would also probably get tempted with other items like flowers for the apartment, or things like jams and liquors to bring home as gifts!

We would not need much really as we eat out for lunch and dinner, but very happy to pay a big premium to have our breakfast/snack stuff there on arrival.

I would say you could build in a premium percentage wise to the prices PLUS charge a shopping/delivery fee. Fuck charging supermarket prices. If people wanted that they would go to the supermarket. Otherwise it wouldn’t be worth your while? Seriously!

Please
or

Castlepeak · 03/06/2021 01:40

I’ve shipped boxes ahead, had Amazon pantry deliver, and done all sorts of things to avoid having to run out to the shops upon arrival. I’d love a service that could have the basics waiting for me.

Please
or

Ellmau · 03/06/2021 19:24

Are you thinking of it as a potential business opportunity?

I think it would be best as a menu of choices, so you could order what you wanted.

Please
or

SwimBaby · 03/06/2021 22:15

I always do the Center parcs one, I like trying different stuff I haven’t picked. This year we had a big fruit platter in our lodge.

Please
or

Joolz2000 · 04/06/2021 05:36

I'm with you. I only really need coffee, milk sweetener, ice (when travelling to somewhere like Spain) and soft drinks, although a bottle of bubbles is nice to have on arrival.

I usually eat out for lunch and dinner but some nice pastries and conserves for breakfast is perfect.

I agree it's fine to charge a bit extra. After a 5 hour flight to a European destination the last thing I want to do is find a supermarket.

To have it in my apartment/fridge on arrival is ideal.

The Centre Parcs example was interesting.

OP posts:
Please
or

sashh · 04/06/2021 05:59

I think it is a good idea, and with someone to remove anything left over.

I'd want proper coffee, not instant, might try the tea and wouldn't want the milk. I'd like a bottle of water in the fridge, tap water is never cold enough in some places.

Would this just be a 'first 24 hours' or would you do a top up? I'm thinking of someone like my dad, he's over 80 so can't hire a car and I would hate to think of him schlepping shopping.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 04/06/2021 11:25

Some people might use such a service, but I think the amount you'd have to charge to make it a viable business would make it cost more than most people are willing to pay. So I think it could be a useful add on if you own or manage accommodation, but there wouldn't be sufficient for this to be a standalone business.

Plus people don't need to 'find a supermarket' because if proximity to a supermarket is important to them on holiday, they looked on google maps before they even booked the accommodation.

We almost always pick somewhere with at least a small supermarket in walking distance anyway because we generally self cater and just want to be able to pick up drinks, snacks, milk etc day to day without having to go out in the car.

Please
or

Nettleskeins · 09/06/2021 08:51

Vintage Travel do this...they send a grocery list for you to annotate as an option.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?