Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Travelling to Japan alone

39 replies

Pinkie98 · 31/05/2021 18:49

So, I (22f) really want to travel to Japan but I have nobody to go with. My mom said I should wait until I meet someone with the same interests before I go but, what if that never happens? I don't want to waste my time. However, I know it isn't really too safe to travel alone. Has anyone been to Japan alone? What should I do?

OP posts:
Please
or

YukoandHiro · 31/05/2021 18:51

It's very safe for solo female travellers. One of the safest countries. Of course, highly patriarchal too.

Please
or

SmidgenofaPigeon · 31/05/2021 18:51

I moved to South Korea on my own at 22. It felt incredibly safe. What exactly isn’t safe about travelling alone?

Please
or

ImInStealthMode · 31/05/2021 18:53

Why don't you look at booking a group tour (I think TopDeck offer Japan options) so you get the best of both. Likeminded people to travel with, the safety of being in a group and exploring the countries you want to see.

Please
or

RusholmeRuffian · 31/05/2021 18:53

Japan is very safe for female travellers. Do it!

Please
or

Mumdiva99 · 31/05/2021 18:55

If you are in any way concerned about travelling alone could you do an 'intrepid or 'explore' small group trip?

I travelled alone late 20's. If you have your wits about you it's fine. The worst were men I met on trips that wanted to look after me because I was alone......the whole point of travelling alone is not having to make compromises!! The lad that kept telling me to put more sun cream on when on a diving holiday nearly got launched over the boat!

Please
or

GCAcademic · 31/05/2021 18:57

Japan is just about the safest country you could travel to solo.

Please
or

milinhas · 31/05/2021 19:00

I did a small group tour to Japan with G Adventures - would really recommend that or something similar for Japan because of the language barrier (travel signs and menus only in Japanese script etc). It was really good to have people to share the experience with - we were all 20s/early 30s from UK/Aus/NZ/US and got on well (though didn’t stay good friends - just the odd instagram like).

Please
or

Hellocatshome · 31/05/2021 19:04

As long as you are sensible about travelling alone its fine. My friend has travelled to all sorts of countries (not your normal holiday locations alone) and she has always come back with wonderful stories. My Grandma travelled alone when travelling wasn't even a thing and certainly not for a lone young female and although she did have a run in with some pirates (quickly hid her jewellery in her underwear) she was fine.

Please
or

2bazookas · 31/05/2021 19:10

Have you ever traveled alone? You sound very inexperienced and naive.

Please
or

Poppetjohn · 31/05/2021 19:14

Japan is really safe. I went with my boyfriend but spent a lot of time exploring by myself. You are going to love it.

Please
or

Chewbecca · 31/05/2021 19:15

I went with my family, not alone, but it would have been fine, I felt very comfortable there. I loved Japan and wouldn’t hesitate to return.

Please
or

paralysedbyinertia · 31/05/2021 19:16

There is always an element of risk, even if you are travelling around the UK, but Japan is extremely safe - probably one of the safest places you could ever travel. Go for it!

Please
or

JOJ0JO · 31/05/2021 19:22

I don't know about Japan but I went to Morocco on my own and it was brilliant. I loved going at my own speed.

I am a fair bit older than you though so I didn't get much unwanted hassle.

Please
or

mishmash13 · 31/05/2021 20:02

Hello - yes I did. When I was your age I lived there for a year alone in Osaka teaching English. I was a very inexperienced traveller and very sheltered - I hadn't even stayed in a hotel before😂 and it was my first trip outside of Europe.I couldn't speak any Japanese but I muddled through. It was the most incredible year of my life. I met so many people and made so many friends that I am still in touch with 20 years later. Honestly just go for it. I never felt unsafe once. The only dodgy experiences I had were when I went on a holiday from Japan to Thailand. That's a whole other story! If you want to message me for any advice then I'm happy to help.

Please
or

tribpot · 31/05/2021 20:15

Have a look on YouTube for some of the well-known younger travellers (Kara and Nate, Dylan's Travel Reports) - they will give you some good ideas for how to get around in Japan, often down to the 'go to this ticket machine, press this button for English, go to this gate' type level.

A group tour would definitely be one option, although likely a supplement to pay for travelling on your own. Alternatively you could look for a travel company that would help you with booking day tours and with travel arrangements, but to an itinerary drawn up by you.

I nearly travelled with ds using Inside Japan but ultimately we decided the dates weren't right for us. A self-guided adventure might suit you well?

Have a look also at Seat 61 for detailed travel information. He recommends Railbookers to create an itinerary for you.

Definitely don't wait until you have someone to travel with, have your own adventure!

Please
or

Northernsoullover · 31/05/2021 20:17

I went to Barcelona by myself. Japan is much safer.

Please
or

TotorosCatBus · 31/05/2021 20:27

Japan is pretty safe. I have a daughter whose just finished school and I'd be more than ok with her travelling to Japan.

Please
or

Pebbles16 · 31/05/2021 20:33

Japan is incredibly safe. Probably the best place you can go as a solo traveller. Plus it is AWESOME. Watch some NHK World programmes for great ideas on and off the beaten trail and learn four or five phrases which will delight the Japanese host eg oishi des (it is delicious), konichiwa (hello), aragoato (thank you) etc. Honestly, it is the MOST amazing place. Tokyo is totally overwhelming at first so possibly do an overnight transit first day and then come back for a few days before the end. (When I say overwhelming, it's just a bit mad but very kind and orderly)

Please
or

FrownedUpon · 31/05/2021 20:38

It’s very safe and an easy country to explore. You’ll love it!

Please
or

EssexLioness · 31/05/2021 20:42

Never been to Japan but travelled aloneness abroad several times, never had any problems. You just have to use your common sense. I guess some places would be dangerous to lone women but I always research areas carefully beforehand. Lone travel is great for developing confidence and independence

Please
or

Smartiepants79 · 31/05/2021 20:47

I would have thought Japan is one of the safest places for travel.
My main concern would be language. The written language is totally different. I’m sure there are travel companies that you could use that would support you.

Please
or

roguetomato · 31/05/2021 20:57

Japan is very safe to travel, even on your own as a young female.
But I don't think you can travel there anytime soon, so there's plenty of time to plan and research.
This sub is a great place for tips and info.
www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravel/

Please
or

WrongKindOfFace · 31/05/2021 21:01

@Smartiepants79

I would have thought Japan is one of the safest places for travel.
My main concern would be language. The written language is totally different. I’m sure there are travel companies that you could use that would support you.

The Google translate app allows you to use the camera on your phone to scan text and translate to English. It’s not 100% but it is good enough to read a menu or follow instructions to buy a travel ticket etc.

That said, maybe a guided tour followed by some solo travel would be a good compromise?
Please
or

NotYourAverageDaisy · 31/05/2021 21:03

@GCAcademic

Japan is just about the safest country you could travel to solo.

Why?
Please
or

JorisBonson · 31/05/2021 21:06

@Smartiepants79 almost everyone speaks English to a degree, and the universal language of pointing and smiling works there too. I had no problems with the language barrier when I was there.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?