Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Places to stay near Thomas land

11 replies

2021ishere2021 · 21/05/2021 08:18

Last stop of the holiday is Thomas land, then on to Holyhead for the ferry. Where would you stay? The on-site hotel doesn't get good reviews for food.

The nearby towns are Cannock (25 mins), Stafford , I could maybe push on to Crewe (1 hour).

OP posts:
Please
or

2021ishere2021 · 21/05/2021 08:21

Open to other suggestions, those are just places I seen on the map. Kids almost 4 and 5.

OP posts:
Please
or

Workyticket · 21/05/2021 08:26

We stayed in the super cheap holiday Inn express 5 minutes from Drayton Manor.

It shares a car park with the ice place which is amazing- you can take the kids tobogganing or swimming

It's really near a retail place which has nandos etc and quite close to a Beefeater if I remember rightly

Please
or

greyspottedgoose · 21/05/2021 08:30

We stayed in the on site hotel 3 years in a row, late 2018 being the last year we went, so admittedly a while back but had no issues at all, the hotel was clean and staff really friendly, food was fine, loads of parking and obviously only took a few minutes to drive from the hotel car park to the park car park

Please
or

2021ishere2021 · 21/05/2021 09:35

@Workyticket

I looked up the Nando's and the holiday inn. Great location we might not fancy a drive after Thomas land

OP posts:
Please
or

2021ishere2021 · 21/05/2021 09:37

@Workyticket

Pressed send before I was ready.... so that might work perfectly. The next day is right off anyway because we have to get to the ferry. The snow dome looks like fun!

OP posts:
Please
or

2021ishere2021 · 21/05/2021 09:39

@greyspottedgoose

I was on trip advisor last night and the reviews for the breakfast and dinner are really bad. You kind of want reliable food with small ones.

The second thing was it is only worth it if I was getting a Thomas room and then I would have to put one of the kids in the top bunk, I thought they were a bit small for bunk beds (especially when they have never stayed in one)

OP posts:
Please
or

Workyticket · 21/05/2021 09:40

It's perfect, just a few minutes in the car. The hotel sits on a lake too which was great for a run about before bed x

Please
or

Ladylunchalot · 21/05/2021 14:57

We've stayed in the Drayton Manor hotel a few times and have always enjoyed it and the food was lovely. First time we stayed it was v busy and breakfast wasn't the best but edible.
We nearly always stay at the Premier Inn at Tamworth. It's got a beefeater restaurant and the food has always been v good. Have also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express there and it was v good too, shower was first class.

Please
or

Blackberrycream · 29/05/2021 16:52

We stayed nearby a few times when my boys were little. The nicest stopover we had was The Holiday Inn close to Lichfield ( it’s in the right direction for your journey home). Lichfield was lovely and there were lots of good options for eating out. ( We used Tesco vouchers towards a meal at Ask Italian which was in a lovely old building ).
Breakfast is included which always helps with a family to feed.

Please
or

mumtoallbhoys · 29/05/2021 19:06

@Blackberrycream

We went for the holiday inn in Cannock, just 10 mins further I down the road Smile

This is of course assuming we can go and are not in lockdown!

Please
or

Blackberrycream · 29/05/2021 19:50

Hope you make it and have a great time! It’s greater with smaller children as you can go on all the rides with them and there is lots that’s suitable. Happy memories.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?