Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Packing list for toddler UK seaside self-catering stay

19 replies

Fiep · 10/05/2021 07:11

Hi MNers

First time to a self-catering seaside place with the toddler. I’m very excited as it feels like the first fun thing in ages! DD (27m) has never seen the sea. It’ll be a long drive (half a day) and we’re staying in a cottage with good amenities (washer / drier, etc).

What would you pack?

Is she too young for inflatables? Obviously she can’t swim. Lol.

OP posts:
Please
or

IggyAce · 10/05/2021 07:18

Talc to get the sand off easily. I used to just take a blanket and bucket & spade for the beach. Over the head towel poncho would be good. Inflatables and a beach are a safety risk so I wouldn’t bother.

Please
or

Hellocatshome · 10/05/2021 07:20

Inflatables are death traps at the beach so no, also are you in the UK? The water will be freezing. The best you can hope for is probably a little paddle. Talc is great for getting the sand off your body before leaving the beach.

Please
or

TrufflyPig · 10/05/2021 07:24

Clothes for all weather as you just never know. I use wetsuits on the beach unless it's really warm. Overhead towel ponchos are great too.

For in the cottage: portable booster seat for chairs, potty, child plates, cups etc. Toys and books, a big flexibucket if they don't have a bath in there.

Please
or

suziedoozy · 10/05/2021 07:24

I am currently self catering at the beach with a similar aged child! Things I wished I checked / brought

1. Check what type of cot they are providing - we got a travel cot without a proper mattress & had to dash out & buy a mattress for it (!)

2. If you have the door thing that stop them slamming doors on their hands bring them with you!
3. Fold up beach towels
4. Beach shoes - a friend told me not to get jelly shoes as the sand makes them rub skin
5. We bought her a shortie wetsuit (although doesn’t look like it going to be warm enough for it!)
6. Wellies & waterproof suit for beach / splashing if the weather isn’t great
7. Beach toys - Poundland have great little sets
8. Their own cutlery / plates
9. I bought a microfiber towel & a new huge beach blanket

Enjoy 😀
Please
or

starpatch · 10/05/2021 07:25

Kite would be good. Net in case of rockpools but you can buy that when you get there. Games and books. Some kind of plastic footwear. Snacks.

Please
or

angelopal · 10/05/2021 07:26

Take wellies incase she doesn't like the sea on bare feet. We live near the sea and mine like splashing in it with wellies when it is to cold for a paddle.

Also something to collect sea shells in.

Please
or

DobbyTheHouseElk · 10/05/2021 07:31

Bucket and spade
Towels
Spare clothes in beach bag
Bottle of water to wash sand from toddler eyes, mouth, feet, hands, hair...also talc for the same.

Sun cream
Travel potty

Please
or

Topbird29 · 10/05/2021 07:41

One of those small shade tents for in case it is really hot. Also useful if they want a little nap on the beach.

Please
or

TrufflyPig · 10/05/2021 07:46

Good shout with a tent, even if it's not sunny it makes a good base camp on the beach. Folding chairs are good for everybody (adults included) so you can eat snacks without too much sand on your hands.

Please
or

TrufflyPig · 10/05/2021 07:48

And always bring at least two sets of spare clothes! I speak from many an experience there 😂

Please
or

itsgettingwierd · 10/05/2021 07:49

All in one rain suit and wellies.

If the sand is cold and wet or weather not that great she can still run around and enjoy it without getting cold.

Personally I'd take a few pairs of leggings, t shirts and fleeces as if you get wet and dirty and need to change a few times a day you have washer dryer.

Over head poncho is a good idea.

My absolute top tip is take bin bags to beach.
If they are soaked and cold and wet the can stand in it, strip off too half and out in dry too and then strip down into the bag! Then the sand and everything else is all contained in the bag until you get back to the cottage!

Please
or

AdaThorne · 10/05/2021 07:52

Take a small inflatable dinghy or some such if you can pick one up cheap (we got one from PoundStretcher when the DC were little). Not to use in the sea but to put on the sand and fill with water. Then she can sit in a small amount of water and splash if it’s hot or take some with a cup to add to her sandcastle or whatever.

Please
or

Fiep · 10/05/2021 12:26

Thank you so much everyone, this is super helpful. Definitely going to buy a tent and talcum - no way had i thought of this.
The other ideas are really helpful too- I’ll probably end up getting most of these!

OP posts:
Please
or

Whathappenedtothelego · 10/05/2021 12:39

I am a big fan of over the head towel ponchos. I prefer ones like a dress, then you can wear it home.

I would advise several sets of swim shorts and rash vests.

Easier to take a 2 piece off when it's wet, pop a clean dry set on and you are ready to go again- my children always get cold and uncomfortable wearing wet swimwear with gritty wet sand inside, but then always want to go back in the water again later after they've taken it off.

Hat with strings or something to keep it on firmly as it can be quite windy by the sea.

Please
or

shallIswim · 10/05/2021 18:35

Honestly just a bucket and couple
Of spades - one for a grown up to do the proper digging and a little one for the toddler
If it's going to be sunny then an Aussie cossie/sun suit. Also keeps them warmer.
Don't overthink the kit, just enjoy!!

Please
or

853ax · 14/05/2021 22:50

Some colours and paper/colouring books and books to read.
We went on a two week holiday before with 2 toddlers. Had thought of all the 'holiday' stuff. Took few books and crayons for journey. Must have read them the same book X10 times a day! Small children like that spend as much time in accommodation than out n about.

Please
or

KitKat1985 · 15/05/2021 10:50

We always pack plastic plates, bowls and cups; and some kids cutlery as I didn't want any smashed plates or glasses, and 'normal' cutlery is usually too big for toddlers to use easily.

Please
or

Fiep · 15/05/2021 11:45

@853ax and @KitKat1985 those are really good points!

OP posts:
Please
or

Fiep · 28/05/2021 10:54

Thanks everyone! Half the holiday was a washout (anorak weather, not beach weather), but we did get a couple of beach days in. The tent was a total win. DD even napped in it! I’d never have thought to get one without your suggestions.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?