Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

What are the best things you've ever been left or have seen in a holiday home?

99 replies

lasagnecheese · 07/05/2021 21:04

Hi all. Thinking of trying to purchase a little seaside holiday home that I can rent out for part of the year, and I'd be really interested to know...

What are the most unusual/impressive/quirky things you have ever found in a holiday home?

I really want to try and make it something that feels special to stay in, with lots of personalised finishing touches. What would make you think "wow" they've thought about this... so far have things like welcome baskets with food treats and buckets/spades for kids etc, dog treats for furry visitors etc..

What are the best/nicest things you've found in a holiday let? Thanks for your help! X

OP posts:
Please
or

User478 · 07/05/2021 21:07

Really disappointed this thread isn't about finding forgotten sex swings or potato clocks in airbnbs.

Please
or

MsAdoraBelleDearheartVonLipwig · 07/05/2021 21:11

For a start I’d think about renting it out all year. Holiday lets are pricey. Quite apart from a buy to let mortgage, which usually need around a 30% deposit, there’s agency fees, cleaners, insurance etc.

I’m sure you’ve thought of all that though. Grin

I wouldn’t go too mad with any expensive nick nacks or nice furniture. It will only get broken.

Please
or

lasagnecheese · 07/05/2021 21:12

@User478

Really disappointed this thread isn't about finding forgotten sex swings or potato clocks in airbnbs.

Lol I could maybe add one haha
OP posts:
Please
or

WisestIsShe · 07/05/2021 21:15

I think top quality basics are the way to go. Great shower, lovely bedding, big towels, decent wi-fi etc. These are the important things, I don't need quirks.

Please
or

Confuzzlediddled · 07/05/2021 21:16

A decent tin opener...

Please
or

idontlikealdi · 07/05/2021 21:16

Judging by the other thread, if it's not screwed down don't bother!

Please
or

lasagnecheese · 07/05/2021 21:16

@MsAdoraBelleDearheartVonLipwig

For a start I’d think about renting it out all year. Holiday lets are pricey. Quite apart from a buy to let mortgage, which usually need around a 30% deposit, there’s agency fees, cleaners, insurance etc.

I’m sure you’ve thought of all that though. Grin

I wouldn’t go too mad with any expensive nick nacks or nice furniture. It will only get broken.

Yes, it's not a cheap business, I'll definitely have to rent it out as much as possible, and maybe be able to use it for myself for a couple weeks in the second year. But I'll be renting it out as much as I can at first lol. Not sure I'll get much in winter months so will have to factor that in. I figured it might be a better investment than paying into a pension in the long term. I want it to feel special for people that want to rent it so thought I'd gather some opinions from you lovely lot on here Grin
OP posts:
Please
or

lasagnecheese · 07/05/2021 21:17

@idontlikealdi

Judging by the other thread, if it's not screwed down don't bother!

Oh no! May have to have a look at the other thread....
OP posts:
Please
or

lasagnecheese · 07/05/2021 21:21

@WisestIsShe and @Confuzzlediddled great shouts

OP posts:
Please
or

Workingfromhomeishell · 07/05/2021 21:23

Get proper sized beds. King-size for any rooms intended to be shared by a couple.

Please
or

user143677433 · 07/05/2021 21:27

A really comfortable super king sized mattress.

We stay in a lively place that is all furnished from antique markets. The owner says it’s all cheep as chips because of how much gets nicked, but she has really good taste so it works really well.

Oh! And a record player and vinyl.

Please
or

MsAdoraBelleDearheartVonLipwig · 07/05/2021 21:28

I help out a friend that looks after holiday lets. We’re busy for most of the year. If it’s in a nice location you’ll always get walkers etc using it in the winter months. Especially if it’s got an open fire or wood burner.

Tasteful, nice decor is a must. I always get instantly put off when the decor looks like someone’s Nan recently passed away and they just decided to let out her granny flat. Have a look at some of the more expensive lets online. They usually have really nice interiors. Then get on Pinterest for the cheaper decorating tips.

If you’re just talking about welcome packs etc you could have a bottle of wine, wine glasses out, basket of tea, coffee, hot choc, biscuits, nice crisps or a bowl of fresh fruit or a nice cake. A vase of flowers is a nice touch.

Please
or

HollowTalk · 07/05/2021 21:31

Every penny you spend on them is a penny you've lost in profit, OP. If you provide a well decorated, clean house with good basic provisions, that's all that's needed.

Please
or

Notsoaccidentproneanymore · 07/05/2021 21:32

Bread knife, sharp chopping knives and a good chopping board.

Enough toilet rolls, washing up liquid and new cleaning equipment.

It’s a real pita to have to buy washing up sponges etc.

Cotton sheets and towels.

Please
or

WaverleyPirate · 07/05/2021 21:34

Books to suit local area. History of area, maps, local walks, / places to visit, books with photos of town from long ago, nature books, children's books, famous locals autobiographies, local writers and so on.

Visit nearest second hand bookshop and find appropriate books. Fantastic when a property does this.

Please
or

Freddiesgirl · 07/05/2021 21:44

If you're likely to have children staying a decent amount of toys for them.

Either way no nik naks please, I just look at them and think they probably haven't been cleaned between guests Envy

Please
or

Coconut80 · 07/05/2021 21:45

I have a holiday let and from guest feedback it really is the personal touches they like. I put in home made cakes daily, bread if ive baked it, eggs from our hens and flowers from the garden. I give a breakfast basket as well as juices and milk. We have a coffee pod machine too. I also put out daily fresh fruit and a wee kilner jar full if boiled sweets. We also use local oil reed scenters, slate coasters and art work.
With lots of occupancy the property needs v good maintenance paint touch ups throughout and redecorated every year. Crockery and cutlery often are broken or disappear so good to have spares. Just try and think if what you would like to have yourself on holuday and you wont go far wrong. Good luck xx

Please
or

HamAndCheeseToastie5032 · 07/05/2021 21:48

Honestly? A shelf of books.

Some of my favourite reads have been books I've picked up and read on holiday, many I wouldn't have chosen in the shop.

Please
or

Spudlet · 07/05/2021 21:54

Teabags, coffee, milk and biscuits are always good when you arrive, especially after a long journey. I also stayed at once place that had a little basket of toiletries with a price list - things like nail files, face packs and so on, with an honesty box. That was a nice touch, and handy as I never remember nail files!

Please
or

MsAdoraBelleDearheartVonLipwig · 07/05/2021 21:57

How do you put stuff in daily? Do you keep interrupting people on their holiday? I wouldn’t want the owner breezing in every day. That’s very intrusive. Confused

Please
or

GappyValley · 07/05/2021 22:01

@MsAdoraBelleDearheartVonLipwig

How do you put stuff in daily? Do you keep interrupting people on their holiday? I wouldn’t want the owner breezing in every day. That’s very intrusive. Confused

With the cleaner service?
Leave it by the door in a basket?

I doubt pp is letting herself in and barging into the kitchen while everyone is having breakfast!
Please
or

HalzTangz · 07/05/2021 22:05

@WisestIsShe

I think top quality basics are the way to go. Great shower, lovely bedding, big towels, decent wi-fi etc. These are the important things, I don't need quirks.

Totally agree, the other big thing for me is decent mattresses. I've yet to stay in a UK holiday let that has a decent mattress
Please
or

LaCerbiatta · 07/05/2021 22:06

A place that is clean to a very high standard. No grubby skirting boards and cobwebs in the corners. No sticky kitchen counters and rolls of dust under the beds. All very rare in my experience...

Please
or

Coconut80 · 07/05/2021 22:08

@missadorabell i empty the bins daily and refresh the breakfast basket daily. Missing the point entirely i think. I refresh the cabin when they are out, ive yet to have a complaint or refusal of this and daily cake delivery.

Please
or

FizzyPink · 07/05/2021 22:11

We really like staying in places with that little touch of luxury and pay extra for it. Nice touches we have enjoyed -
Bubble bath if you have a bath
Couple of good quality magazines
Slippers and dressing gowns
Bottle of Prosecco in the fridge and some local nibbles
Having Netflix/Prime on the TV so I can log into my account

What I really don’t love is lots of tat or ornaments that just gather dust and don’t serve a purpose.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?