Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Bulgaria yes or no?

10 replies

wardribe · 22/04/2021 20:16

Bulgaria looks nice but I think films like "hostel" have put me off places like this! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I'm not asking for the current covid climate I'm asking for future reference, got one DD aged 9 would there be much for her to do there? We normally go to lanzarote,

Thanks any opinion on Bulgaria much appreciated xx

OP posts:
Please
or

MirandaMarple · 22/04/2021 20:19

The night flight clientele to Bourgas (I work in aviation) is somewhat...interesting.

Please
or

PiccallilliCircus · 22/04/2021 20:31

Can be a bit...boozy, I'm told.

We have Bulgarian cleaners in my job and some used to work in the resorts before coming to the UK. Some of the stories they've told me Shock. Basically hen and stag parties with copious alcohol and embarrassing behaviour.

I would never go in a million years.

Please
or

wardribe · 22/04/2021 21:49

Ahhhh thanks for replies, the hotels and area looks lovely knew there had to be a catch for the price

OP posts:
Please
or

Kittybakes89 · 22/04/2021 21:51

We went the year before last and we're worried, but we went to a hotel in Sinemorets and it was beautiful. Great walks and beaches, small quite town and an all round great trip.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 23/04/2021 07:45

I'm sure its like anywhere.

Some resorts will attract party goers and unadventurous travellers who want a hot weather holiday where they can eat familiar food, speak English and get pissed on the cheap.

Magaluf, Costa Teguise, Falaraki Playa del las Americas, Benidorm, etc etc.

All these countries/islands also have quieter, more authentic areas where you can eat local food, speak a bit of the language, visit cultural attractions etc etc while also relaxing in the sun and swimming in warm sea with interesting marine life.

It's just a matter of doing your research and I'm sure Bulgaria can offer a nice experience, just like can be found in Mallorca, Lanzarote, Tenerife, mainland Spain, Greek islands etc.

Please
or

OhShitShit · 23/04/2021 07:51

I travelled in Bulgaria (backpacking) about 15 years ago.

I’m not sure how much it’s changed, and I loved it as an experience (meeting locals, house parties, staying with local families etc) and we went to Sofia, Plovdiv, Veliko TΔƒrnovo, and Nessebar (old town 2km from sunny beach).

When we were there it hadn’t really taken off as a holiday destination for Brits, but if I’m being honest, as much as I loved Bulgaria, it didn’t give me Lanzarote style holiday vibes and I don’t think it would be great for kids.

Please
or

sansou · 23/04/2021 08:25

You might want to take into account Bulgaria's vaccination rollout - a snail's pace at the moment.

Please
or

midsomermurderess · 27/04/2021 22:03

And you, sansou, might want to take into account the original post.

Please
or

MrsPatrickDempsey · 27/04/2021 22:14

Went about 10 yrs ago and stayed in Elenite. God it was awful. We went to a water park where the health and safety was shockingly non existent. There was a big poo on the pathway and we witnessed a girl break her leg on one of the death trap slides. We all got food poisoning from a restaurant. It felt very deprived. Nice beach in Sunnybeach and Nessebar was ok but that was all.

Please
or

Seagullslanding · 17/05/2021 10:41

We have been twice staying at the 5 star Duni Royal Resort. Absolutely loved it. No resemblance at all to the cheaper noisy resorts. It was dearer than the sunny beach type areas but Absolutely fantastic all inclusive. Great food and entertainment, loads of pools waterpark etc . We used local taxis for days out. Like other people have said, it depends which resort you go too.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?