Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Campervan - Scotland

16 replies

Yaya26 · 01/04/2021 22:43

Hi

Looking advice/ opinions. I’m considering booking a campervan for a weeks holiday in Scotland with three kids in July. Plan on sticking to outdoors and self catering with perhaps a couple of takeaways.

Am I being selfish/ unrealistic/ crazy?
Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

stevematekatemate · 02/04/2021 17:47

Sounds fab. I’d love to do it but DH won’t entertain a driving holiday as he drives for work.

Please
or

DramaAlpaca · 02/04/2021 17:50

Sounds wonderful. Just remember to pack lots of insect repellent, depending on which part of Scotland you're planning to visit.

Please
or

Scottishskifun · 02/04/2021 17:53

Not unrealistic but you should probably try booking campsites now. Many were shut last year and difficult to get into especially in the school holidays (we struggled to get a campsite even an hour away from our house).

Make sure you have smidge and pack light into cupboards etc.

Please
or

fioreun · 02/04/2021 17:55

Please plan to spend overnights in campsites or proper motorhome stops. Last summer there was litter, human waste and parked up vehicles everywhere up here in the North of Scotland. Many folk are dreading this summer, sadly.

Please
or

Erkrie · 02/04/2021 17:57

It would probably be helpful to join the camping and caravan club or something similar as you get access to member only sites and discounts on other sites.

Please
or

Yaya26 · 02/04/2021 22:35

Thank you everyone for advice and comments. I'll get it booked. Haven't ever had more than a couple of nights away with the kids and the years are passing quickly.

@DramaAlpaca does Scotland have lots of insects - more than anywhere else??

@fioreun - Yuck thats disgusting.

OP posts:
Please
or

Musicalmistress · 02/04/2021 22:42

@Yaya26

Thank you everyone for advice and comments. I'll get it booked. Haven't ever had more than a couple of nights away with the kids and the years are passing quickly.

*@DramaAlpaca* does Scotland have lots of insects - more than anywhere else??

*@fioreun* - Yuck thats disgusting.

We have an abundance of midgies - small biting flies similar to mini mosquitoes- particularly up the west coast. Lots of insect repellant, citronella & you'll be fine 😁
Please
or

DramaAlpaca · 02/04/2021 22:51

My DH was convinced he knew all about midges from fishing in the wilds of the west of Ireland. He didn't believe me that Scottish midges are a totally different, vicious beast. Until we went there on holiday and he forgot to use insect repellent and got savaged. He now has a grudging respect for the humble Scottish midge Grin

Please
or

Hyacinth88 · 02/04/2021 22:55

Sounds fab.. Come to dumfries and galloway lovely coastline and forests too.

Please
or

idontlikealdi · 02/04/2021 23:07

Cold as fuck at night and midges. Midges. Idles. Midges.

Please
or

Erkrie · 02/04/2021 23:24

Ah yes, midges, little fuckers. Make sure you have decent repellent. Midges are really quite something.

Please
or

Yaya26 · 02/04/2021 23:52

Ok I'm starting to feed everyone garlic with every meal now (that's supposed to deter midges- isn't it?) and getting a truckload of woolly jumpers and insect repellent now! Thanks all

OP posts:
Please
or

rookiemere · 03/04/2021 09:10

Please be very careful who you rent your campervan from. We used National Motorhomes and it turned out to be a thinly disguised racket where they used every trick in the book to keep the paid up front £1200 depositlast time I let DH organise anything They go under a number of organisation names.

Please
or

Funf · 06/04/2021 09:19

I would do North Wales as the things to see and do are closer together and no Migies
www.donthibernate.co.uk
We did go to Arran and Ayr last year and didn't see any Migies though? Scotland is a fantastic location but the weather can be hit and miss, if going to any of the islands book the ferry well in advance

Please
or

Yaya26 · 06/04/2021 13:44

Thank you @Funf and @rookiemere

OP posts:
Please
or

Pemberleys · 08/04/2021 22:54

Book campsites and ferries months in advance. Don't park up any old place or the locals will be after you. Make sure you know how to reverse on a single track road. Use proper waste disposal points, not drains, toilets, sewers or indeed the side of the road.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?