Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Guernsey - well worth a visit!

3 replies

katmam · 02/10/2002 12:51

Thought I'd share my latest holiday with you. To cut a long story short, we were meant to be going to the States in August but it fell through so we decided to go somewhere more local instead. Toyed with the idea of Devon/Cornwall area (posted on earlier thread) but ended up going to Guernsey instead.

What a lovely place! We booked our trip through the CSMA magazine so we could choose from one of 4 hotels. I couldn't fault the hotel at all - lovely rooms, baby listening, great food (although not sure if they did separate meals for the kiddies as we were always out around dd's teatime) and an excellent indoor swimming pool. The island itself is so clean and lovely, it's hard not to like the place. The beaches were marvellous - so well looked after and it seems like each one has a little kiosk selling snacks, hot and cold drinks etc with (very clean!) toilets too. Also a fair amount of activities/ sites for both adults and kids too.

I would really recommend it to anyone thinking about going to the Channel Islands - we will definately be going back there again, although next time we'll go a bit earlier in the year to take advantage of all the lovely beaches.

OP posts:
Please
or

sis · 03/10/2002 12:27

thanks katmam, dh is inthe csma and we've only used the cheap legoland tickets and cheaper house insurance so far - will try and persuade him to be more adventurous!

Please
or

addle · 03/10/2002 12:50

Hello Katmum, was Guernsey expensive? thanks

Please
or

katmam · 07/10/2002 10:05

Hi Addle,

No, I didn't find it any more expensive than the UK. You have to pay to get into most of the sites/attractions, but I don't remember paying more than £3.50-£4 per adult to get into most places we visited(dd is under 2 so free in most places anyway!). Some things were cheaper (alcohol and cosmetics/perfume being the "main" ones I think). Food-wise, we only ate out a couple of times, and it was really reasonable for the quality of food (which was very high). We also had a couple of meals at our hotel - 3 courses for £13 each and again, the quality and quantity of food very good. HTH

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?