Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Has anyone been to Bluestone in Wales?

17 replies

Crookairroad · 15/03/2021 16:52

Is it any good?

I am looking at a 4 night break in October. Bluestone is £300. Centreparcs is over £800!

OP posts:
Please
or

notacooldad · 15/03/2021 16:54

My friend goes twice a year every year with her wife and kids. ( she goes to other places as well)
They absolutely love it for the family holiday.

Please
or

TomHardyAndMe · 15/03/2021 16:57

Several times. Love it.

Please
or

Crookairroad · 15/03/2021 17:04

Thanks. I’ll definitely show DH tonight. A four night break is showing at £249 for the three of us.

OP posts:
Please
or

TomHardyAndMe · 15/03/2021 17:05

I’d grab that with both hands.

Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 15/03/2021 17:30

I’ve been to both and would choose Bluestone over CP if travel isn’t an issue. Bluestone is more spread out than at the CP we’ve visited. There was more space between lodges and more open land to explore.
The Bluestone lodge we stayed at felt significantly larger than the Centre Parcs equivalent and was over two floors which I personally preferred. There seemed like a lot of thought had gone into the little things. The bins were full size unlike the tiny ones at Centre Parcs!
Inside, CP lodges do feel like they have a little more character. We particularly love the log burner feature especially as it has a safety frame. We also like the fact that being on the ground floor, you often get wildlife coming to the door. There is wildlife to discover at Bluestone but you might need to go looking for it.
The Blue Lagoon seemed quieter than swimming at Centre Parcs and we never needed to wait for a changing room. Centre Parcs Sub Tropical Paradise is definitely larger and has more to offer but for young families especially where you need a 1:1 ratio with little ones, the bigger rides aren’t an option anyway.
There are probably a few more eating options at Centre Parcs but we don’t use these so I couldn’t vouch for the food at either.
Centre Parcs probably offers more activities but there is only so much you can squeeze into a short break and the offerings at Bluestone would be more than enough for most young families. They seemed cheaper at Bluestone and the village shop was certainly cheaper. We found a deal for two pizzas for a fiver. The Centre Parcs shops wanted to charge £8 a pizza.
I liked the fact that Bluestone had nature trails to explore and really made the most of its beautiful setting. Unlike CP where you stay on site, at Bluestone you are encouraged to get out and explore the region, although I doubt you’ll want to if you’re only there for four days.

Please
or

Crookairroad · 15/03/2021 17:32

Thanks. Would you say there would be enough for a 13 year old boy to enjoy?

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 15/03/2021 19:07

Centre Parcs is better for teens, but only if your teen would make the most of the activities on offer. If your teen would rather stay in bed til midday, then it’s not worth it!
Bluestone has a lazy river, Center parcs has a lovely outdoor area and some fast rapids, and both have slides for the older kids/adults. I’d say both are pretty equal but maybe center parcs’ outdoor area gives it the edge.

Please
or

Tryingtogetitright · 15/03/2021 19:11

We love Bluestone! Went last year and going back this summer. That sounds like a bargain! Go for it!

Please
or

Tryingtogetitright · 15/03/2021 19:12

My kids are younger but I think a 13 year old would definitely find plenty to do.

Please
or

JustMarriedBecca · 23/03/2021 21:18

Another vote for bluestone over CP here. I didn't like all the activities at CP and the fact it felt like a middle class Butlins.

Bluestone accommodation was great but you can get off the park. We used to get up, do the beach or a walk or Tenby or whatever then back to the pool for the late afternoon until dinner. I felt trapped at CP.

If you are going because you want to hang around, Bluestones is small and there is only really the pool. But for £250, bargain!

Please
or

Figgygal · 23/03/2021 21:21

I’d love to go!!

Please
or

ballsdeep · 23/03/2021 21:23

Love it! Definitely book a golf buggy

Please
or

needadvice54321 · 23/03/2021 21:29

We went a couple of times years ago - children then aged 5 and 10. We enjoyed it, and much preferred the accommodation compared to CP. There wasn't so much to do, but it's a gorgeous area so we used to leave the site most days.

The golf buggies were good fun! Grin

Please
or

HamSandwichKiller · 23/03/2021 21:34

Been a fair few times. It's better for younger kids but Pembrokeshire has so much to offer (cliff diving etc) you won't regret going there. Lots of bike trails around if he's likely to be a fan of that.

Please
or

FlyingFlamingo · 23/03/2021 21:38

Which type of lodge are you looking at? If it’s the cheapest one I would recommend upgrading to one over 2 floors if there isn’t much difference in price. The single storey ones are small with only a wet room and not much living space - the cottages and Ramsey lodges have proper bathrooms and bigger living areas. We like the cottages best due to location - in the village you aren’t too far from anywhere.

We were meant to go this weekend Sad

Please
or

MrsFin · 23/03/2021 21:50

Bluestone is fab, and there's loads to do in the surrounding area too, and beautiful beaches full of rockpools for your DS to enjoy

Please
or

HelloDulling · 23/03/2021 21:53

Bluestone feels less like being in a holiday camp to me.

So many things to do in the area, if your teen is active/outdoorsy, you could book something for every day.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?