Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Holiday recommendations for single mum & toddler?

8 replies

DeeDeesMummy · 10/03/2021 11:05

Hi everyone. I became a single mum to my two year old daughter last year after finding out my partner had been cheating on me since I'd become pregnant.

I've been working a lot to build some savings and hoping to go on a holiday with my daughter this year or next depending on the covid situation.

I'm hoping to get somewhere like a resort, where I don't have to travel too much. Any recommendations are welcome especially places you've been and found comfortable to be, as it'll just be me and my daughter.

I'm a bit nervous to travel alone but really want to have a lovely holiday with her and not let being a single parent hold me back from going on family holidays.

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 10/03/2021 16:35

Union Lido in Italy. It’s a 5 star ‘campsite’, not a hotel, but it has holiday houses and apartments as well as statics and safari tents.
It has a few takeaway dining options so you don’t have to cook or eat in a restaurant on your own every night, but there’s also an on-site supermarket if you want to do a bit of self-catering.
It’s great for toddlers - it has a crèche, slash park, lazy river, three playgrounds, and direct beach access. Cots are available if needed.
It also has a spa!
If you booked through Eurocamp, they can also sort your transfers.

Please
or

Overlockdown · 10/03/2021 20:02

Id do a holiday village hotel..
You will find like minded people
I found the other parents v friendly ive been twice, loads going on for little ones and feels very safe

Please
or

happytoday73 · 10/03/2021 20:03

Bolero holidays are great if you look at camp lido....

Please
or

brokengate · 10/03/2021 20:04

I appreciate you probably mean abroad but center parcs is great for this and prices much better out with school holidays. Very easy place to go with a toddler alone.

Please
or

Notnastypasty · 10/03/2021 20:09

I would agree with previous poster. Holiday villages are great - you can book them through tui or first choice I think. Lots of facilities and entertainment for toddlers and children. I’m a single parent to my now 12 year old DD and the first time was the most nerve wracking. After that it was fine and we’ve been all over the world. Enjoy your adventure Smile

Please
or

FreddyTheFlute · 10/03/2021 20:13

If you want to add a week in the country as an extra, I always take my children to Butlins alone every year. They can be occupied from 9am to 9pm.

Please
or

Zodlebud · 10/03/2021 21:06

Have a look at the Sensatori hotels. Outside of school holidays you can usually get some really decent deals and there’s a number of locations.

I would definitely book through a travel agent thought (I think they are part of Tui) as you won’t need to worry about transfers or anything and you have the backup of a rep if you encounter any problems.

Sensatori are high end hotels but with heaps going on. Added benefit of being All Inclusive so whilst might seem more expensive than other hotels there will be no nasty bill at the end.

Great children’s activities, childcare, special pools and even a children’s buffet. Entertainment in the evening. A brilliant choice and you’ll meet other families.

Please
or

SJaneS49 · 22/03/2021 10:20

I think it all depends on how social you are! I was a single parent for 10 years and did both hotel holiday packages and DIY self catering apartments. Having somewhere that attracts families is good - my DD usually made different pool friends every day. She hated the kids clubs though from a very early age (which was a shame as I was looking forward to some time on my own) & refused to take part in the entertainment. I’m not a huge fan of hotel entertainment either, it’s usually on the wrong side of cringe. I also felt a bit self conscious (rightly or wrongly!) being a young single Mum amidst all the traditional two parent families pool side.

What I much preferred was renting a self catering apartment in complexes that attracted families. Having a separate space to put your child to sleep is a real blessing as when you’re together in a hotel room Sod’s law they just won’t go off for ages. Having a balcony to go and sit out on (after they’ve gone to sleep) with a wine glass and book is good too. If your toddler is a fussy eater, self catering means you can get something decent down them. Most buffets have lots of choice but for years all DD2 would agree to eat was bread, chips, ice cream and fruit from them!

If you don’t feel confident, use a travel agency rather than booking yourself (although DIY is cheaper and easy when you know how). From a protection point of view, booking through an agent is probably safer at the moment.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?