Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Travel once vaccinated - but what about children of vaccinated parents?

16 replies

MusicalMommy · 08/03/2021 13:30

Countries like Greece and Cyprus are saying they will let people in if they've been vaccinated. So ignoring how this will be policed and how you prove you have been vaccinated. If you have been vaccinated but want to travel with your children who obviously won't have been vaccinated, what happens there. Are they allowed in if under 18 and with a vaccinated parent? Do we have to leave our children at home? I can't see any mention of children anywhere where I've seen news reports on it so wondered if I'd missed something? Has anyone thought about this?

OP posts:
Please
or

littlemisslozza · 08/03/2021 13:32

I'm wondering the same. Guess they'll need covid tests to travel?

Please
or

UntilYourNextHairBrainedScheme · 08/03/2021 13:38

MusicalMommy every country apart from the UK has always had vaccination passes (for all the vaccinations from babyhood through adulthood, they've existed for many, many decades) so for countries other than the UK proving vaccination is a non issue.

I've been wondering about the kids though; not for a holiday but for visiting my parents, whom we won't have seen for two years by the summer holidays. I don't really want to go without the kids, but I can only get holiday at the end of the school holidays and two of them are starting new schools in September so certainly can't factor in precautionary quarantine and missing the first two weeks of school. Hopefully they can just take tests and quarantine for a few days.

Please
or

Silkies · 08/03/2021 13:43

I saw one news report not sure where which mentioned for Europe under 12s exempt and over 12s and unvaccinated adults need negative covid test just before and sometimes in destination. But obviously nothing decided yet at least afaik.

Please
or

Silkies · 08/03/2021 13:46

Obviously each country is free to decide its own policy and that's the more relaxed countries in Europe.

Please
or

YoutubeZoom · 08/03/2021 13:47

Vaccines are free though. Do you have to pay for COVID tests for travel?

Please
or

FoonySpucker · 08/03/2021 13:48

Do we have to leave our children at home

Yes, that's definitely the plan. Children will all have to be left home alone while their parents swan off on holiday.

Has anyone thought about this

No - nobody has mentioned it all all over on the Coronavirus boards (which is where this thread should be)

Please
or

Parker231 · 08/03/2021 13:50

The country you are travelling to will decide whether you need a vaccination certificate or negative test for children and the U.K. will decide whether, dependant on the country whether you have to quarantine at home or in a hotel on your return. The main issue with coming home is that things can change overnight so you may have to go to a quarantine hotel when originally you didn’t need to.

Please
or

MusicalMommy · 08/03/2021 14:35

@FoonySpucker that's really uncalled. Personally I'm trying to be really kind to other people as have no idea what they are going through so I'm not going to respond as I'd really like to to your unkind message. I hope you have a nice day. I actually do quite like the idea of leaving my children at home while I go off on holiday so at least you have given me a giggle. Maybe you were trying to be funny rather than cruel/cutting.

OP posts:
Please
or

BendingSpoons · 08/03/2021 14:36

For Cyprus, I read: a vaccination passport, evidence of antibodies or a negative test. I don't know if young children will be exempt.

Please
or

FoonySpucker · 08/03/2021 16:25

I wasn't being cruel.
I was simply answering your questions (albeit with a heavy dose of sarcasm).

Did you really think that nobody has given any thought to what might happen with children (who cannot be vaccinated at the moment)?

Did you really think that people will be forced to go on holiday and leave their children at home?

Please
or

TuckMyWin · 08/03/2021 16:30

The countries that have mentioned this aren’t doing this out of the goodness of their hearts because they know how much us Brits need a holiday. They are doing it because they need the tourism. So no, they are not going to ban children from entering the country, because then families wouldn’t travel. Children will either be exempt and/ or need proof of a negative test. I expect they’ll figure out the details nearer the time.

Please
or

May17th · 08/03/2021 16:36

No children have been vaccinated as it’s not been tested on the kids so from that front we all in the same boat surely.

Despite the vaccine and to keep things at bay (worldwide) I would assume we still need to do the PCR test to avoid constant lockdowns and other Countries will want to follow precautions too.

Please
or

FoonySpucker · 08/03/2021 17:30

@YoutubeZoom

Vaccines are free though. Do you have to pay for COVID tests for travel?

That may very well be the case. At the moment you need a negative test (and a very good reason!) to enter France. People are having to pay for these tests, an NHS one will not suffice - costs vary, but it seems to be around the £80-100 mark. For a family of 4 going on holiday that is going to get expensive, especially if you need to do it all over again before returning to the UK. The results need to be within 72 hours of travelling, so there is the added logistical nightmare of factoring that in. Plus you need to quarantine when you arrive/get home. Plus you need a plan for what to do if any of the tests are positive.

Nobody really knows what is likely to happen once "travel corridors" start to get agreed, but it is very much not as simple as just booking a flight.

I really do hope that it can all become much straightforward - I haven't seen either of my children or my grandchildren for over a year now*

@MusicalMommy - *indeed we do not know what is going on in other people's lives and I apologise if my light-hearted sarcasm missed the mark.
Please
or

zafferana · 09/03/2021 14:41

I've seen plenty of discussion about this and it all seems to be vaccine or negative test, but obviously each country will come up with their own regulations (the EU may have a blanket set of rules as a bloc, which would certainly make things easier!). Under 12s not needing a test would be great, although I have one under 12 and one over ...

Please
or

zafferana · 09/03/2021 14:42

People are having to pay for these tests, an NHS one will not suffice - costs vary, but it seems to be around the £80-100 mark. For a family of 4 going on holiday that is going to get expensive, especially if you need to do it all over again before returning to the UK.

I think it was Cyprus said that those who are vaccinated WON'T have to get a test in addition, so Cyprus anyone? I wouldn't say no!

Please
or

FoonySpucker · 09/03/2021 15:14

@zafferana

The poster is asking about unvaccinated children.
I would imagine that they will still need a test due to not being vaccinated.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?