Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Venice hotel recommendations ?

12 replies

Jungfraujoch · 07/03/2021 11:07

Hi - looking for somewhere for DH and I next May. Ideally walkable to all the main spots!

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 07/03/2021 11:37

The Rosa Salva is close to St. Mark’s Square. It’s on a quiet side street just one bridge away, so you’ll be able to walk to St. Mark’s Basilica, the Doge’s Palace and surrounding museums. Both the Rialto and San Marco vaporetto stops are also really close.

Please
or

Silkies · 07/03/2021 14:19

We've stayed at the Hotel Marconi which is right on the Grand Canal by the rialto, we stayed one night where they put us in a small room which was fine but small and another night in an amazing room with amazing views over the grande canale, rialto etc with a big window. Only issue was didn't want to leave the room.

We also love staying on the Venice Lido which you do need the vaporetto 5 mins to from centre (or watertaxi) but less crowded and get the beautiful views each time of coming into Venice there we stay at Villa Edera which has bigger rooms, we had il privato there and had a top floor room with roof terrace and lovely breakfast, very decorative rooms though bathrooms were still compact.

Please
or

Jungfraujoch · 07/03/2021 20:05

Thank you both - I’ll check out your recommendations.

OP posts:
Please
or

VeronicaVanHoopen · 07/03/2021 20:07

You have to use the hotel's boat service but the Kempinski was amazing. I loved being out of the hustle and bustle at the hotel which is like an oasis but only a 15 minute boat ride away from all the action. Would highly recommend it - it was lovely!

Please
or

Moreginneeded · 07/03/2021 20:32

With Venice it very much depends on your budget - some of the hotels closer to the big sights are eye wateringly expensive.

When I want to be close (5-10 mins walk) from the Rialto/ Piazza San Marco but don’t want to splash out on canal side views I stay at the A La Commedia. The rooms are lovely, it’s small and discreet, very convienient for everything and has a good breakfast.

If I’m celebrating or feeling flush I stay at the Luna Hotel Baglioni and if I’m really pushing the boat out I arrive in style on a private vaportetto direct from the airport to the hotel’s private dock. It is just at the start of the grand canal and directly behind the colonnades of St Marks square. It’s heavenly, the breakfast is just phenomenal - Prosecco, fresh fruits, salads, breads, pastries, a la carte cooked items and a harpist playing throughout - the rooms are beautiful and beds plush, the staff fall over themselves to help and the little touches (champagne bottle in the room on arrival, concierge remembering names and what our plans for the day were when we get back, on site costume hire room during carnevale etc) really make it a special holiday. The price tag does reflect its luxuriousness though!

Please
or

GordonsAliveAmdEatsPies · 07/03/2021 20:42

Please
or

rookiemere · 09/03/2021 08:47

We stayed here https://www.anticodoge.com/ on a trip a couple of years ago. Lovely hotel - room felt more 4 star than 3 star - and a nice breakfast included. Reception staff also directed us to a lovely local restaurant which didn't have inflated prices. Great location as able to walk everywhere, although leave a lot of time if you're getting the canal boat to the airport- very sharp elbowed manoeuvres to get on were needed and we nearly missed our flight.

We paid a hefty premium for a canal view. Personally I'd skip that if going again as room had aircon so we didn't open the windows. You'll be seeing enough canals anyway Wink.

Please
or

Jungfraujoch · 10/03/2021 12:48

More beautiful hotels! Thank you.

OP posts:
Please
or

shutterteal · 10/03/2021 12:51

We love the Molino Stucky in Venice. Highly recommend.

Please
or

MsTSwift · 10/03/2021 12:54

We stayed at the Saturnia. Right in the middle of everything but quiet. Austere decor and delicious breakfasts. Staff very nice, we took teens to Venice last summer it was pretty empty. Magical unforgettable trip.

Please
or

Jungfraujoch · 10/03/2021 13:30

Thank you all x

OP posts:
Please
or

Jungfraujoch · 11/03/2021 15:01

Just coming back to say we’ve booked here www.hotelaireali.com/.

Thoroughly enjoyed looking at your suggestions - some too £££ or no availability.

Cant wait now!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?