Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Iceland

8 replies

Jungfraujoch · 01/03/2021 14:31

Any recommendations please for tour companies/activity holiday groups please?

OP posts:
Please
or

SingingWaffleDoggy · 01/03/2021 14:36

If you’re organised enough you will save £££ organising the holiday yourself. We would not have been able to experience half of the things we did had we been on an organised tour.
Therefore, no tips for companies, but can give you lots of advice if you choose to go it alone Smile

Please
or

Jungfraujoch · 01/03/2021 14:54

Thanks Singing. We normally do organise these sorts of trips ourselves but am a bit concerned we could end up out of pocket due to COVID!

However, am planning for probably October next year so fingers crossed things will be more normal!

Any tips on what to see, where to stay etc would be much appreciated!

OP posts:
Please
or

SingingWaffleDoggy · 01/03/2021 15:26

Northern Iceland is fairly inaccessible during winter months so we based ourselves in the South but there’s plenty to do. We stayed at an amazing villa near Selfoss, the owner no longer rents the large villa out but has a smaller one, called Stekkholt. It has a geothermically (sp?) heated hot tub and large windows, and is a little out of town so perfect for spotting the northern lights.
We hired a car from the airport, most hire cars have snow studs in the tires as standard in winter and the roads are good as long as your careful. They pipe hot water under the roads so they are often clear when the landscape is white.
The south coast is full of beautiful waterfalls etc. These will take you a couple of days. We travelled along to the glacier caves and Jokulsarlon lagoon but it was a LONG day with lots of travel after darkness which is not ideal in winter. I’d probably go as far as Vik when we go again, although if you can push on to skaftafell it was interesting to see the glacier up close. Saying that we went at the end of winter so the glacier tongue may have been further down towards the main road. There is also a hidden pool along the south coast road stretch called Seljavallalaug, which although not the warmest (for that go to the secret lagoon- its boiling!) is a hidden gem. The Blue Lagoon was a very touristy experience but I’m glad we did it, it’s also an activity that can be done after dark which was nice.
The golden circle is a great day out. If you’re the adventurous type you can dive between the tectonic plates which is pretty cool, but just being at Thingvellir and seeing it was great. Gulfoss is huge. The geysirs were also fascinating but smelly- Iceland smells a bit eggy due to the sulphur but you get used to it quickly! Kerid crater was also interesting.
Food was expensive, whether you are cooking yourself or eating out, as much of it is imported. The locals are friendly and helpful, I could not get my head around the currency, and they all said it was quite common but I’m not sure if they were humouring me Blush
As much as I’m a hot holiday kind of person we are definitely going back!

Please
or

SingingWaffleDoggy · 01/03/2021 15:29

Also, keep an eye on this auroraforecast.is/ if you want to see the lights. It’s a gamble as it’s never guaranteed but we went in late February to balance length of day to see the country with long nights to increase the chance of seeing lights, with fair possibility for breaks in cloud cover. It paid off for us, we saw them 3 nights out of 7

Please
or

Jungfraujoch · 01/03/2021 16:27

Thanks for all of that Singing - great information! We did Norway 10 years ago and were very lucky to see the lights almost every night - they are amazing aren’t they? Also experienced how expensive it is but it goes with the territory so just have to factor it in.

The villa you mentioned - do you have a link for it?

Thanks again.

OP posts:
Please
or

SingingWaffleDoggy · 01/03/2021 17:32

The lights were amazing! My husband wanted to see them for his 40th so tried to find a location that balanced that with things to see in the day too and ended up in Iceland.
The villa we rented was through Airbnb but it’s no longer listed there. But this is from the same landlord (we enquired via email about visiting again) he’s very helpful and his English is good! uk.hotels.com/ho1430616896/stekkholt-3-selfoss-iceland/

Please
or

BikeRunSki · 01/03/2021 17:34

We had a fantastic holiday to Iceland booked through Trailtinders last April. It was cancelled (by them) due to Covid and we hit every single penny back 6 weeks later.

Please
or

Jungfraujoch · 01/03/2021 18:14

Singing - I’ll check it out! Thank you again

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?