Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

What age is best to take baby on holiday?

18 replies

Sunny2021 · 26/02/2021 13:41

We want to take our baby to Crete for a week after the restrictions are lifted (if all goes to plan 😬) we can either take her in the last week in June when she’s 7 months or the first week of September when she’s 9.5 mths. What do people think is the easier age to travel with her? Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

Kollin · 26/02/2021 13:44

Ime, the younger the better. People think that's not the case whereas, I've always found, the more they toddle - the harder work everything is.
I don't think there's a massive difference between the ages you've given though, so do whatever suits your needs.

Please
or

Snowymcsnowsony · 26/02/2021 13:48

We went camping in France for a month when ds was 6 months. He could sit up unaided. Ebf... Slept all night. Perfect..
Took dd at 9 months. Crawled through bushes and round the campsite... Older dc took turns rinsing her under the communal tap on site!!
Grin
Her brand new holiday outfits stayed packed and she lived in a few rompers!!

Please
or

Laeta · 26/02/2021 13:51

I took my LO to Egypt when she was 6 weeks old. So easy, just sat by the pool and popped her on the breast where she was hungry!

Please
or

MixedUpFiles · 26/02/2021 14:13

With my dd, the older the better.

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 26/02/2021 14:16

I'd go in whichever month is predicted to have lower temperatures, otherwise you could end spending the holiday in an air conditioned room
(I lived in Cyprus for a couple of years. Like many, we decamped back to the UK for August to escape the heat)

Please
or

NeedToGetOuttaHere · 26/02/2021 14:41

7 months. I found the cruising around furniture and crawling stage difficult on holiday especially when there were marble floors everywhere.

Please
or

fluffy71 · 26/02/2021 15:05

Definitely earlier the better. If they are crawling it’s much harder

Please
or

Cindersrellie · 26/02/2021 15:07

Definitely the younger the better! Go as soon as you can Grin

Please
or

Twilightstarbright · 27/02/2021 17:44

I'd go for 7 months. 9.5 could be the verge of walking/cruising etc. Also only just starting weaning so less meals a day and either BLW sharing or pouches. We took DS to Marbella area when he was 7m and couldn't crawl but happy sitting, and had some pouches or BLW food from our meals.

Please
or

AlwaysLatte · 27/02/2021 17:51

We took ours all over the place, starting with Mallorca when my oldest was 3 months (I took him there with my mum whilst my husband was skiing), and other European cities, also took both to Canada when they were smallish babies (about 10 months) and to other shorter European trips. Babies are so much easier to travel with than toddlers IMO. We used to try to book overnight flights for long-haul. The only problem we had was when the youngest's ears were sore, I think he was about a year. He absolutely screamed the place down. But if you time feeding for the time you're descending it helps with that.

Please
or

MinnieMountain · 27/02/2021 20:27

I know a few people who walked at 8-10 months, so definitely the younger the better.

Please
or

Whatnameisgood · 28/02/2021 10:00

I agree with those who advise 7 months. Much easier before they’re crawling/walking

Please
or

newstart1234 · 28/02/2021 10:02

I was going to say 4 years! I guess I’m an outlier 😂

Please
or

olderthanyouthink · 28/02/2021 10:06

We did long haul with a 9/10 month old, don't do it!!! She was in the 8-10 month sleep regression and she popped through 3 teeth we didn't sleep more than a few hours for the first 7 days or a 12 day trip.

Cruising and walking and food were the LEAST of our problems.

Flights were mostly fine though, did book her a seat so we had more space.

Please
or

TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme · 28/02/2021 10:42

1. They can then join you in the bar!
Please
or

MinnieMountain · 28/02/2021 12:12

I’m with you @newstart1234 but I was saying out of OP’s options.

10 months to 2 years was the worst for flying for us. Age 3+ you can attempt to reason with them.

Please
or

Pemberleys · 01/03/2021 21:02

Depends how mobile they are. Did longhaul with DC1 at 10 months and it was a piece of cake. DC2 at that age would have been an absolute nightmare.

Please
or

Khtchkn · 03/03/2021 20:33

We flew to Thailand directly when DS was 8 months. I was so worried about it and even called TUI to see if we could postpone the flight (which they said no). It was literally the most smoothest flight, and the holiday in thailand was amazing. Looking back at it, the only way that the flight went smoothly was because i was breastfeeding at the time. Whenever he cries, the boob always sorted him out! Even the people around us said what a trooper he was. On the way back to London wasn't as great as the first time, but it wasn't bad at all. I definetely wouldn't fly when they are able to crawl/walk as they will not want to sit still for more than 10minutes. But since you're going to crete its not so far. We are going to Corfu and my son will be 2 then and he is much more tolerable. I read once they reach 3 years old it's a breeze

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?