Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

9/11 Memorial NYC

5 replies

Smurfymurphy · 06/02/2021 17:13

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to do the memorial but not the museum please? I don’t want to see the museum. I know lots of people say it is amazing and I have no doubt it is but I don’t want to see the museum, listen to last voicemails to family. I don’t wish to offend anyone but it just isn’t something I want to see. I would like to see the memorial though.

If you have been is this possible?

Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

pomegranatefudge · 06/02/2021 18:07

Yes you can visit the memorial free of charge. We did the museum but left early, personally I found that part too distressing.

Please
or

Glitterb · 06/02/2021 18:13

Yes it’s just out in the public,

The museum is extremely moving except I got frustrated with the amount of people having smiley selfies in front of the items, it was disrespectful.

Please
or

spongedog · 06/02/2021 18:22

@Glitterb

Yes it’s just out in the public,

The museum is extremely moving except I got frustrated with the amount of people having smiley selfies in front of the items, it was disrespectful.

I went 3 years ago for the first time and was quite upset by some of the behaviour from particularly American teenagers (with their families, not in school groups). Laughing, joking, selfies. I am not often lost for words but I really was that day.

I didnt particularly like the memorial - I was there on a cold, cloudy February day - and the water was so dark and foreboding. The trees in the park all looked dead. It didnt look cared for which I found surprising.

The Museum was interesting (I know a lot but still learned more) but moving as you would expect.
Please
or

Pieceofpurplesky · 06/02/2021 18:37

I agree it's a very stark memorial but it is fitting. The museum was done extremely well and any particularly personal and sensitive items are in a separate part that you can choose to do if you so wish.
I found it heart wrenching but inspirational too.

Please
or

Smurfymurphy · 06/02/2021 21:59

Thank you. Good to know we can visit the memorial.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?