Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Travelling by train - during Covid

9 replies

Schoolsearch2015 · 20/01/2021 09:19

Hi, my parents both had Covid and were hospitalised, they were discharged and then my father was rushed back in the next night and they discovered he had an aneurysm in his leg. Had major surgery and has been in hospital for another 9 days so far.....(on top of the 9 days he spent in there for Covid).
They live 4 hours away from me. I would like to go and see them and help my Mum out with looking after my Dad as he's going to have a lengthy rehab and cannot climb stairs etc... my husband has said I should go there for a week (he'll look after our 3 children while I go).
I do not drive on motorways (no judgement please - I lived overseas for 20 years and the speed limit is 20 mph there and where I live in Dorset there are no motorways so it's fine!). I am contemplating taking a train there - I'd much rather take a train than sit in a car for that long anyway.
I am wondering how much risk I am putting myself in by going by train during a Covid pandemic? Thoughts?!

OP posts:
Please
or

domesticslattern · 20/01/2021 09:23

Last time I went on a train I literally had the carriage to myself Smile

Please
or

DM1209 · 20/01/2021 09:25

I wish your Dad a speedy recovery. Get the train and go and be with them.
Keep your distance, sanitise, face mask, it'll be fine.

Please
or

saraclara · 20/01/2021 09:30

@domesticslattern

Last time I went on a train I literally had the carriage to myself Smile

Same here. And that was before we were locked down so heavily! You'll be fine. All the best to you and your family.
Please
or

Hazelnutlatteplease · 20/01/2021 09:37

Wear a decent mask (eg cotton with a n95 filter). Save eating and drinking until after you're off the train, or break the journey. Carry some wipes to give surfaces a clean. Change out of all clothes on arrival and sling them in the washing machine and you in the shower as soon as you get in. Ideally take a hard suitcase so you can wipe that down as soon you get out the train.

Please
or

midnightstar66 · 20/01/2021 09:53

Seeing your parents have fairly recently had covid I'd probably just follow the advice from OP's and use the train at an off peak time

Please
or

OchreBlue · 20/01/2021 11:59

Don't worry, DH gets the train to work every day and it's safe and actually comfortable at the moment you will get a seat (on some lines they are doing compulsory booked seats so check that) and not have anyone sat next to you or anywhere near you. Wear a mask, sanitise your hands and you'll probably find it's one of the better journeys you've had.

Please
or

MinnieMountain · 20/01/2021 14:53

Even when there were minimal restrictions last summer the trains were nice and quiet.

Go. You’ll be fine.

Please
or

smudge44 · 24/01/2021 01:26

Trains are really quiet at the moment. In my experience I am able to pick which empty carriage I'd like to sit in so feel nice and safe.

Please
or

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett · 24/01/2021 11:16

The trains are dead at the moment. You'll have to book a ticket and reserve a seat to travel. Take antibac wipes to wipe down table/loo and bring a clean water bottle from home. Strip and shower as soon as you arrive at the other end.

Oh take a couple of masks, my DS had to wear a mask all day for school and just felt comfier changing every couple of hours or so.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?