Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

AIBU to worry about kids Gap Year

7 replies

CameronK27 · 01/12/2020 08:53

AIBU to worry that my children are planning on going on their gap year next year?
Does anyone have any information on how to relieve these worries?

OP posts:
Please
or

user1825894133270 · 01/12/2020 08:55

What worries do you have specifically?

Please
or

TrollTheRespawnJeremy · 01/12/2020 08:55

What exactly are you worried about?

Please
or

CameronK27 · 01/12/2020 09:15

To be honest, I am not even exactly sure.
I think it is the case that they will be so far away and whether they will have everything they need.
Do you understand what I mean? Have you experienced this feeling before?

OP posts:
Please
or

RaininSummer · 01/12/2020 09:21

Mine didn't do gap years but one did a lot of solo travelling so yes, I was worried in a constant non-specific way. All you can do is ensure they are as sensible and prepared as possible. Make sure you have copies of their passport, any visas and insurance as that will speed things up if anything happened and they have lost them. Is is an organised gap year or just a wander around the world?

Please
or

SJaneS49 · 03/12/2020 17:52

I don’t think you are paranoid at all, I would be too (and I had a gap year and did a lot of backpack travelling in my early twenties) but we live in an age where we have a lot more connectivity - they will be able to keep in contact with you in a way our generation couldn’t!

I agree with the PP in terms of all the practical stuff - have a copy of their rough planned itinerary, get them to research in advance safe places to stay etc and book as much of that in advance as possible. The research tools we have today are so much better than the ‘Let’s Go..’ books of my day. Hostels will be on Tripadvisor for example. I agree about copies of passports etc and encourage them to keep the originals and their money on their persons, not in the luggage.

I’d be happier personally if my DC were travelling with others who they didn’t regularly fall out with and who were sensible. Choice of a companion can really make or break a trip!

Try not to worry too much. My gap year travels prepared me for life at university far more than a year at home would have done. For me it was an invaluable experience about learning to cope in different situations & cultures all on not very much money. Try and focus on the positive aspects of it all!

Please
or

Funf · 03/12/2020 19:46

Good insurance, Good phone contract with plenty of data, Spare credit card on your account, spare paperwork at home and with them the at home is so you can email documents incase they are required, not much more you can do really

Please
or

B1rdIsland3289 · 10/12/2020 12:25

Where are they planning to travel whilst the Covid virus is still ongoing ?
Lots of countries are not allowing tourists in
Does travel insurance cover Covid ?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?