Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Tell me about New York must see's

69 replies

GlummyMcGlummerson · 28/11/2020 22:51

Next year I'm having a (child free) 5 day trip to New York with my best friend - hurrah!

We are planning to see:
Empire State Building
Ground Zero
Statue of Liberty
A picnic in Central Park
A Broadway show

So fairly obvious things - but what are the less obvious must-see's you lovely MNers can recommend? TIA

OP posts:
Please
or

Milomonster · 28/11/2020 23:05

It’s my favourite city in the world and I hope it regains its energy after such a tough year.
Visit the Vessel in Hudson Yards and then walk the Chelsea High Line, which starts nearby. Stop off at Chelsea Market for some food. Witney museum if you like art.
NYC is fab for exploring in public bike. It may seem intimidating but their cycle lanes are much more well planned than in London. You can download the app which will plan your route using the lanes.
Guggenheim - absolutely stunning museum and then explore C Park.
Walk walk walk as much as you can.
Look up Free Tours by Foot - pay what you want tour company. I absolutely love them and did the Harlem tour and Brooklyn graffiti one.
China Town and Little Italy to get a few for how immigrant communities have contributed to the city.
If you are inclined, voluntary work with the Bowery Mission in Tribeca. It’s a soup kitchen and you will meet locals and get another insight into the city (not a touristy thing to do but I like to pay them a visit).
Download TodayTix app for super cheap theatre tickets.
Comedy club is a must.
Walk or cycle over Brooklyn Bridge and a boat back to the East side from Williamsburg.
Washington Square - chill there and meet/watch locals. There’s such a lovely vibe there.
New York Public Library and then visit to Grand Central Station.
Get in the touristy stuff but NYC is so much more. Something fascinating on every corner if you walk.

Please
or

Pieceofpurplesky · 28/11/2020 23:07

Top of the Rockefeller Centre at night to see the Empire State lit up
9/11 museum
Do the Staten Island ferry rather than a Statue of Liberty trip as it's free
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge
Washington Square
Walk the high line
Have a glass of something fizzy or a cocktail sat at the bar in the Oyster Bar beneath Grand Central Station

Please
or

Pissoff2020 · 28/11/2020 23:25

I love New York, you will have an amazing time!
I would definitely recommend doing the one world observatory, it’s the tallest building in America and you get an amazing view over the city.
Also, a walk over Brooklyn bridge and visit DUMBO to get a picture and wander around Brooklyn a bit. I found with New York that it’s lovely to block in free time as well just to wander the city and find your own adventure Smile

Please
or

grassisjeweled · 28/11/2020 23:27

Just absorb it all. Fantastic vibe over there. Just awesome.

What time of year are you over there, and where are you staying?

Please
or

Pinkpercy · 28/11/2020 23:29

Ellen’s stardust diner is amazing!! Don’t miss it and have a fab time :)

Please
or

TheRubyRedshoes · 28/11/2020 23:30

Fraunces tavern, frick collection.

Please
or

PigsInHeaven · 28/11/2020 23:31

Well, what do you like doing? ‘Must sees’ aren’t standard for everyone , and NY is a huge city with lots for all tastes. My ‘must dos’ mostly revolve around art, theatre and tracking down obscure things to eat in odd corners of Brooklyn.

Out of your list, I would say that the Ground Zero museum is very sad and harrowing, and Central Park only seems special to New Yorkers because they don’t have gardens or indeed a lot of green space — I wouldn’t allocate it time in a packed schedule.

Other than art museums, I’ve always liked the Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side. And Korean food.

Please
or

tobee · 28/11/2020 23:33

Yy to the Frick!

Diners and delis.

My dsis and I had late night cocktails in The Rainbow Room bar (this was 20 years ago mind!)

Please
or

margotsdevil · 28/11/2020 23:39

Katz's deli - We went for breakfast. Features in when Harry met sally. Really old school but a great experience.

Please
or

ivykaty44 · 28/11/2020 23:40

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

EmmaGrundyForPM · 28/11/2020 23:44

I love Battery Park
I also.love the High Line

MOMA is amazing.

I've done the Empire State Building and also the Rockrfeller Centre. I would advise the Rockefeller Centre at night is better than the Empire State.

Please
or

ivykaty44 · 28/11/2020 23:45

Ellen’s stardust diner is amazing!!

Really enjoyed it

Food was better than expected, Dd and I shared a meal as they are big portions
We went at 5pm as it’s not so busy to get in

Please
or

Bobbybobbins · 29/11/2020 00:02

Really enjoyed Ellis Island - fascinating. I found the 9/11 museum extremely upset ting and had to leave but ground zero was very special.

Please
or

nellyburt · 29/11/2020 00:08

Agree Top of the Rock. Go for sunset. Amazing!

We did a dinner cruise which was fantastic.

Loved walking around Chelsea and Chelsea Market.

I think Ellen's may have gone with Covid but not sure.

Please
or

BoomBoomsCousin · 29/11/2020 00:57

The museums are great. I tend to like modern art so the Guggenheim (beautiful building), the Whitney (classic pieces, I'm not so keen on their new location but it is conveniently located for the High Line) and MOMA (normally does some outstanding exhibitions) would be top of my list. But also worthwhile are the Met, the Frick and the Science museum (the science museum isn't as good as London's, but I think the Met beats the V&A and the British museum for presentation). Agree the Tenement Museum is really fascinating and well worth a visit.

There are a bunch of other museums that seem to be all flash and no substance (like the Museum of Arts and Design on Columbus circle, which is okay-ish, but not as good as you'd expect from the location and facade unless they have a particularly good exhibition running and the museum of Sex which is, frankly, dull), some of the smaller less flashy museums are interesting but they seem to be pretty hit and miss and none were stand outs for me. There is supposed to be a Broadway Museum opening up this year (not sure if Covid has scuppered it) which could be incredible given it's NY.

The Arts in general are incredible, though. The architecture is incredible and you've already got some of that covered, I would encourage a trip around the southern end of the island either by boat or helicopter. And a visit to Grand Central.

Music tends to be great. Find a performance or two. Obviously there's the Lincoln Center and the Met Opera but the scene is so much richer than that and it's worth looking at listings for what's on in smaller spaces. If you like jazz I thoroughly recommend the Village Vanguard.

The food tends to be really good. Obviously there are the super expensive Michelin starred ones (I recommend going at lunch if you really want to try these - less expensive, easier to get into and you won't be as jet lagged) but there are so many good places all over the city. Diners and bistros and pizzerias and one or two phenomenal food trucks. Walking around and choosing at random has its own charm.

Also, swank hotel bars can be fun. An excuse to sip cocktails and pretend you live an entirely different life!

I agree that Central Park is more amazing to New Yorkers than to most Brits, but it can be fun in the summer for people watching, especially on the weekend when the restaurants and shops etc. are more crowded. Also, it's nice to see a bit of greenery if you've been immersing yourself in the buildings of the City for too long!

Please
or

Mondaymanic · 29/11/2020 02:28

Centry21
The meatball shop in brooklyn
Seaport
Central Park
Just walking round the city is amazing Smile

Please
or

LaBodDelMed · 29/11/2020 02:50

I also vote for the Tenement Museum - so interesting.

Please
or

AuntieMarys · 29/11/2020 03:11

We got married there and went for our first anniversary.
Ferry over to Brooklyn from Wall St ..fabulous views of Manhattan. Greenwood Cemetery is worth a visit for stunning views.
Jane's Carousel in DUMBO.
Flatiron area....visit Eatery.
Greenwich Village for mooching.....Stonewall.
Bar65 at Rockerfeller Centre....fabulous views.
9/11 museum was incredible.
NY Public Library has the best gift shop...we stayed at Library Hotel just round the corner.
Bryant Park.
We did an amazing helicopter ride which took us down to Coney Island as well as over Manhattan. Expensive but what an experience.
Hated Times Square with a passion.

Please
or

NothingInterestingToDeclare · 29/11/2020 03:16

The company Big Apple Greeter will pair you with a native New Yorker for a free meet and greet walk around a favourite part of their home city - well worth doing you need to book in advance we met a lovely knowledgeable lady who walked us miles through downtown and we bought her lunch as a thank you. I found that a highlight was just how recognisable the city is from films etc. go and visit the most famous parts and just drink in the vibe - don’t forget to look in on Macy’s, Tiffany’s etc. even if not buying it all has an aura about it.

Please
or

ivykaty44 · 29/11/2020 07:56

If you want a picnic then I’d suggest going to “wholefood” it’s a chain of supermarket on a level between F&M & waitrose combination. They have wonderful take out food section. It’s also a great stop for coffee & muffin for breakfast - some stores have tables and chairs upstairs to eat your takeaway food. It’s not only cheaper than cafes/coffee shops but no need to tip.

I couldn’t figure the subway but dd had it all on her phone. You need to go in the correct entrance on the street. I found it more complicated than Paris Budapest or London 😅 but worthwhile getting the weekly pass when you arrive. We got the mono railway ($8) at airport and then once we arrived at subway purchased the weekly ticket. But we arrived on a Monday and the tickets start on a Sunday, so obvydont do this if you arrive on a Friday or Saturday

I found lots of advise on Martin Lewis website under New York

Please
or

MrsGrindah · 29/11/2020 08:01

Definitely Grand Central station . Just wonderful.

Also, when walking around the city look up! The different buildings are incredible. Even if you are not into architecture it’s stunning.

Don’t bother with the big shops like Bloomingdales etc . They are just department stores that could be anywhere

Please
or

bert3400 · 29/11/2020 08:02

This thread is great as we have just booked to go in June for a week . Thank you for all the great suggestions

Please
or

Aethelthryth · 29/11/2020 08:03

Frick Collection
The Met.
The Cloisters
Have a look at the foyer of the Chrysler building
Union Square Cafe
Just wandering around

Central Park is pretty grotty

Please
or

MrsGrindah · 29/11/2020 08:04

@bert3400 May I ask why? Jut thought it’s quite close and there’s still no sign of travel restrictions being lifted?

Please
or

mollscroll · 29/11/2020 08:07

We went for a gospel brunch in Harlem which I loved. If you enjoy that sort of music you will love it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?