Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Children's Passports

8 replies

Twink · 24/09/2002 14:10

Have any of you experienced problems with immigration staff not being happy with a child's photo in a passport ?
I'm just wondering whether I ought to get a new passport for dd as her photo was taken at 6 months old and now she's 3 it is completely unrecognisable as her. It's not mattered so far because we've only been travelling in the EU and they rarely look closely but I don't want to get turned back halfway across the world..

OP posts:
Please
or

emsiewill · 24/09/2002 14:13

We went to France with a 3 yr-old this year. Her passport photo was taken when she was a baby, and no-one commented.

Please
or

emsiewill · 24/09/2002 14:14

Sorry, didn't read all your message, didn't realise you were going a bit further afield.

Please
or

Azzie · 24/09/2002 14:35

If I were you I'd ring up the passport office and ask their advice about this. I'd be interested to know what they advise - my dd had her photo done for her passport when she was about 4 months old, and although it is a delightful pic (she was such a sweet little babe ) she looks nothing like her pic now (at nearly 3). We've never had any problems in Europe, but then a lot of places all they seem to do is count whether you have the same number of passports as people travelling.

Please
or

rozzy · 24/09/2002 18:38

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Please
or

SueW · 24/09/2002 21:12

DD had her passport done at about 5mo and she's never had any problems - the last time she went through immigration was into Australia almost two years ago, aged almost 4yo. I understand immigration officers are pretty well trained!

There are certain features in your face which don't change as you grow e.g. the space between your eyebrows and sort across the bridge of your nose. If they are in doubt, they may take a photo and compare it. (Saw this on that TV prog about immigration where they caught someone - adult- using her sister's passport)

I've just realised that DD's passport probably expired in June this year so better check and then email the NZ High COmmission for an application form. Or maybe a UK one would be cheaper.

Please
or

Twink · 24/09/2002 22:49

Thanks ! I think I just panicked because a friend saw the photo and said 'blimey, I wouldn't have recognised her' There are still bits that look similar if you look closely

OP posts:
Please
or

SofiaAmes · 24/09/2002 23:29

My ds had his passport done at 6 weeks and is now 22 mo. and doesn't look anything like his passport picture. I've been to the usa numerous times and italy and no one has even commented and he doesn't even have the same last name as I do. I don't think there is a high incidence of small children trying to sneak into countries with false passports. I would guess that if your passport looks legitimate, they are unlikely to worry about your child's.

Please
or

SueW · 25/09/2002 09:20

Just be careful if you go to Canada though with a child but not your partner.

I had a good rant on here a couple of years ago - basically we got to Ottawa and when I presented DD's Kiwi passprt and my Brit one (so she could get a stamp!) immigration they questioned quite closely on why my husband wasn't travelling with us, why I was visiting Canada, whether my husband would be joining. Why hadn't I got a notarised letter of authority from him allowing me to take her out of the country.

I was fuming, having already travelled all over the place with her and without him, even into the US, but I did realise that I would achieve little by losing my temper and answered all the questions as politely as I could pointing out that I had travelled extensively with her and never been asked for such authority. Besides my husband was joining us three weeks later!

The officer then tried to question DD (then aged 3) about how old she was, when her birthday was, whether daddy had seen her off at the airport. As it was 10pm UK time, she was none too impressed with his questions and buried her head in my shoulder.

The whole thing really p*ed me off. I was slightly mollified by seeing the number of posters of 'Our missing children' plastered all over the baggage reclaim hall but then got wound up again when my luggage was last to arrive at reclaim (I think by then I was probably paranoid that they were taking it apart to prove I was child smuggling!).

I checked the Immigration Canada website at the time and there was nothing to say you should need an notarised authority to travel if you arrived in their country without the child's father.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?