Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Driving home for Christmas

2 replies

justhereforthecraic · 19/11/2020 09:59

My partner and I are due to go back to Ireland for Christmas this year.... every 2nd year we take it in turns with his family as hes Scottish.

The plan is to drive straight to my sisters house and pretty much just stay with her for a few days, with my parents joining us Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Our plans arent 100% yet but we are just weighing the pros and cons.

Obviously we will be sensible about this, not sharing bathrooms, socially distanced as much as we can and just practicing good cleanliness.
Keen to get others feed back. I know the self-isolation doesn't apply to us on either leg of the journey as its withing the Common travel authority but dont worry, i wont be out socializing or mixing with 100s of people. We travelled home in july and the ferry was great as we could stick to ourselves Grin

OP posts:
Please
or

Janek · 21/11/2020 14:55

I'm pretty sure you have to isolate in Ireland if coming from England. And my MIL currently isn't allowed more than 5km from her house in Donegal, so I presume that's the same all over Ireland.

Please
or

justhereforthecraic · 21/11/2020 15:24

yeah its pretty strict there at the moment but this is due to be eased on the 1st december... my poor mother is counting down the days she can get out to the shops and get to visit my sister in a differant area Grin

I know i dont have to self-isolate when i return to Scotland, as i have cleared this with my Boss and HR department at work.

ill just have to wait and see what Ireland does in the coming weeks ...fingers crossed!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?