Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

NY & Boston 2021 + business back ?

8 replies

BeaLola · 17/11/2020 18:22

Apologies up front - do not want to drip feed !

So if we can go away in 2021 we would like to catch up with friends in Boston. There is DH, me & teenage DS (I am the tallest at 5ft 8). Both DH& I have years ago been to both Boston & NY.

We would only go in school hols and thinking May halfterm or July or August holiday.

Flight wise anywhere from LGW or LHR. Thing is I am thinking why not go for 10 days /2 weeks - enough time to catch up with friends plus see more outside Boston but still enough time to do NY for teen son who has only ever been to Europe. I am also thinking more time to relax (!) & as DH finds flying hard comfort wise it would mean not needing to go to US twice IYSWIM & get flights done & dusted. Flights for 1 week as opposed to 2 not more expensive but would factor in more £££ for hotels, eating etc etc

What would your ideal be & why ?

Also am thinking could I stretch to business as a treat for return journey home - would it be worth it & are there are ways I can get that for a discounted price ?

Thank You

OP posts:
Please
or

MrsTwitcher · 17/11/2020 18:38

Fly to NY, stay 4 days, fly from NY to Boston, stay 7 days, fly back to UK from Boston. I wouldnt bother business class for an 8hr flight, have you looked at premium economy offers.

Please
or

MrsTwitcher · 17/11/2020 18:48

Most flights from Boston to London are via Boston so you could do that instead. Fly to Boston, stay a week then Boston to New York, stay and then NY to London. Skyscanner offer a comparison site and you could stay in an aparthotel. Newark is a bit cheaper than JFK or central NY.

Please
or

Hairbrush123 · 17/11/2020 22:23

You could fly via Amsterdam, Paris or Madrid if you want it to be cheaper. It’s normally cheaper to fly with a connection versus a nonstop service. Black Friday is coming up and air fares should be dirt cheap due to the pandemic. I’ve seen business class fares for as little as £700 return to the USA (albeit this was a couple of months ago). Also, have you considered premium economy? It’s an overnight flight coming back from Boston and it can be as quick as 5 hours to London! You won’t really enjoy it as you’ll be sleeping most of the way.

I would fly into Boston, do a day trip/night away to Cape Cod/Martha’s Vineyard, spend 4 solid days in Boston, get the Amtrak from Boston to New York (you get to see more on a train versus a plane plus it’s city centre-to-city centre so not 70$ taxis) and spend the remainder of your time in New York.

Good luck planning your holiday!

Please
or

Pipandmum · 17/11/2020 22:31

Virgin's premium economy is great and I managed to upgrade us both ways by using air miles I bought with Tesco vouchers (took two years). BA's not worth it.
I'd go boston/NY/Washington DC in those two weeks (or the reverse, but plenty of flights direct between London and all three, NY having the most). If only ten days then leave off Washington DC. I grew up in Boston and there's lots to see and do and I'd spend the most time there.
By the way July will be really hot.

Please
or

heathergem · 17/11/2020 22:49

Whatever you do re. international flights, get the train from Boston to NY. It's much easier than flying.

Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 19/11/2020 14:44

I would book up something only when the US travel ban for UK and European citizens is lifted.

Out of LHR and LGW it is far more likely now that the departing and arrival flights would be from Heathrow.

I would try for Business going out rather than on the return because its a day flight and the flight time is longer. Some flights from Boston can arrive into the UK around 5 to 5 and a half hours after take off if there is a very favourable tailwind.

I would also second the suggestion of taking the Amtrak train if possible between the two cities. Far nicer overall and less stressful than flying.

Please
or

Chemenger · 24/11/2020 17:13

I would say not long enough flights to need business class. Definitely get the train between New York and Boston. The trains are very comfortable and take you from city centre to city centre. Sit on the east side of the train, it’s a very scenic journey.

Please
or

BeaLola · 25/11/2020 19:48

Thank you all so much for your extremely helpful posts - much appreciated - lots to think about - will update x

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?