Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Mexico Spending money

4 replies

Amythedog101 · 09/11/2020 08:57

Hello,
My partner and I will be travelling to Mexico (playa del carmen) for 2 weeks in 2021. We are staying at the Rui Tequila so we will be all inclusive however whenever we usually stay all inclusive we still eat out a lot due to us being fussy!
We want to be able to also go shopping a bit and pay for treats etc. We will pay for excursions before hand so don't need to budget for that. I know no one can give an exact answer but home much would you bring for this holiday?
Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

movingonup20 · 09/11/2020 09:01

If I'm self catering I budget £150 a day for food and entertainment, perhaps a third of that as most is paid for?

Please
or

Amythedog101 · 09/11/2020 12:57

Thank you. I've never done Mexico before so have no idea on prices!

OP posts:
Please
or

20DigitCombination · 10/11/2020 22:22

We stayed there a couple of years ago and had a great time. We didn't eat out as there was a really good range of food at the hotel complex. I assume you know that you'll need transport to get to any restaurants/shops? Make sure you agree taxi prices beforehand.
We booked our excursions there and they were much cheaper than the UK travel agent prices.
Sorry that doesn't help much!

Please
or

Rafflesway · 10/11/2020 22:58

Hi Amythedog101 I know that area very well having visited on 10 occasions over the past 16 years.

I was there in January this year and stayed across the road from Riu Tequila at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya ( Riu Tequila is an excellent choice of hotel by the way. Always gets great reviews!)I

You have chosen a brilliant location - Playacar - for what you want to do as you are literally 25 mins walk from 5th Ave in Playa del Carmen which is a very long road full of shops, bars and restaurants. A taxi this year cost, if I recall, was about £4 each way.
Eating out can be quite expensive on the Yucatan Peninsula - bearing in mind it's Mexico - especially as the restaurants are aimed more at the predominantly U.S.clients and you are often charged 15% service charge on top so for an evening meal of 2 courses I would allow around £30 per head excluding drinks - better deals can be found if you shop around - for a medium style meal, (not fine dining which would certainly be more.). Also, there is a small shopping mall including supermarket, pharmacy, bar etc. virtually next door to your hotel.

Excursions are also pricey! I believe a day trip to Chichen Itza now is almost £200 each although worth it if within budget. Tulum
also is stunning but again I believe around £70 each although you can do this much cheaper by taking a local bus. (We did both years ago! We hired a car back then but wouldnt recommend doing that nowadays as the local police have an interesting little scam in operation with driving tourists now.Hmm). You can easily take the hovercraft over to Cozumel for the day without paying an extortionate excursion price. This year it cost £16 each return for the hovercraft! (I am using UK equivalent as the exchange rate doesn't vary much and is usually around 24 MXP = £1.) The hovercraft drops you directly onto the main promenade on Cozumel!

To be honest, other than the above and any souvenirs you wish to buy - their t shirts are great quality and fantastic value - you wont need money other than to give the odd tip in the hotel. We don't bother eating out nowadays in Mexico as we have always found the food good enough if you have a good hotel. We tip pretty well, dont go on excursions nowadays but do take quite a few cabs and buy several t shirts for our dd and we find if we take £200 per week we have quite a bit left over.

I hope the above helps but don't hesitate to pm me if you need further info. You will love it I feel sure!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?