Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Relaxing holiday alone - ideas

15 replies

Ideasplease322 · 03/10/2020 17:04

I have a hugely stressful job. I need a Holliday where it is to totally relaxing. I know travel is a no no at the moment so I am
Thinking spring.

A week - somewhere warm (not blistering hot) - I want to read and do a bit of exploring. I am single and will be travelling alone so somewhere I will feel safe.

Budget around £1,000. All ideas welcome.

Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

Funf · 03/10/2020 18:00

Cadiz

Please
or

Ideasplease322 · 03/10/2020 18:06

Okay - don’t know anything. About it - or even where is is - I will start googling🙂

Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

Funf · 03/10/2020 18:46

Cadiz is in Spain on the cost very popular with the Spanish, quiet nice beaches but still plenty going on.
theculturetrip.com/europe/spain/articles/10-facts-about-cadiz-you-should-know/

Depends on what you want really, we stay away from touristy places and eat and drink with the locals

Please
or

Ideasplease322 · 03/10/2020 18:49

Looks amazing. I hate touristy palaces, the thought of be dork makes me feel ill😊.

I am going to look up some boutique hotels!

OP posts:
Please
or

tinkyy · 15/10/2020 14:05

Any place that interests or excites you is the best place to travel alone or any other way.

You should always check the local conditions and customs and any local scams so that you know what to expect. Going alone you may want to be more central where there are more tourists and restaurants.

Find somewhere you think you may love or that intrigues you

Please
or

minipie · 15/10/2020 14:08

Greek islands will be wonderful around April/May.

Please
or

Vicliz24 · 15/10/2020 14:12

Corfu . Beautiful island incredibly lovely locals and in Spring so gorgeous with all the wild flowers. Easy to navigate too and only a three hour flight .

Please
or

Usernamealreadyexists · 17/10/2020 00:05

Azores. I went twice during this summer and am contemplating flying out on Monday. It’s the most heavenly place. Book into the Terra Nostra Garden Hotel - free access to the most beautiful botanical garden and thermal springs. Very healing. Plenty of beautiful places to hike, hardly any people around, lots of hot springs.

Please
or

CoolShoeshine · 22/10/2020 22:45

There are some nice spots in Lanzarote if you avoid the touristy resorts. A charming, arty island which is easy to explore and so safe

Please
or

Taymom · 24/10/2020 16:10

Anywhere near the beach is relaxing :)
Beach must be accessible and not too remote.

Please
or

HPandTheNeverEndingBedtime · 24/10/2020 16:14

Royal Sun Resort in Tenerife, very quiet and peaceful away from the main touristy areas but carpark on site for hire cars or bus station at the bottom of the hill to get around the island. Each apartment has a huge seaview balcony If you don't fancy sitting by the pool. Restaurant offers room service and the food is great but you also have kitchen facilities and a reasonably priced supermarket on site to cook your own food as well as a gym.

Please
or

Doodar · 24/10/2020 16:32

adult only in Soller town, Mallorca. a quick term ride to the port of roller, plenty to do. www.avenida-hotel.com/en/

also in soller, don't go in the kid school holidays though www.esplendidohotel.com/

Greece ekies.gr

sonbrull.com/en/dining/restaurant-365/

Please
or

EggnogAndAMincepie · 12/12/2020 23:32

If I was traveling alone I'd chose the Hotel Sirenis in Cala Llonga Ibiza. First drop off from the Airport and last pick up on way back. Lovely hotel (stay in the updated part) food lovely, adult only bar or another one where the reception area is. Beach is literally a walk across the pool deck, down some steps and across the path. If you want to get a bus or the little land train there's a bus stop over the other side of the beach. Quicker to cut across rather than walking on the path. The jetty is where you pick the water taxi up. Hardly anything to do there it's basically 3 hotels, a little supermarket 1 or 2 tourist shops and a couple of bars and that's about it. but it's a lovely little place. we found 3 or 4 really nice walks. One of them went through woodland so was lovely and shady probably around 6 miles in total but part of it was back along the main road. Santa Eulalia a 10-15 min bus ride has a beautiful marina to walk on and a nice little town as well oh and Ibiza old town is beautiful too.

Please
or

EggnogAndAMincepie · 12/12/2020 23:35

You can see how close the beach is. To be honest I could just sit on that beach all day watching the little boats bobbing up and down in the distance.

Please
or

Babiesandboardgames · 13/12/2020 19:32

Bit different to the other ideas but I would personally do Egypt.
Egypt has absolutely loads to do, from sightseeing all the old temples, mummies and museums and there is a brand new museum in Cairo which has just opened to the public with loads of old relics.
You could do a few days in Cairo to see Pyramids /Spynx /museums and a few days in sharm or Hurghada for the beaches and to pick up gifts.
I travelled there alone and locals are poor, so desperate to sell you anything from the shop. But they are very friendly and you get so much for your money there, warm weather guaranteed.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?