Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Does this mean my flight will be cancelled?

14 replies

zatarontoast · 05/09/2020 14:24

Several months ago I booked with easyjet to go to Marrakesh over the christmas holidays, and periodically I have been checking the tickets to see if the price has changed. Today I checked again and the flight is now coming up as 'worldwide', ie. so there is no direct flight any more. I assume this means that the flight has been cancelled and I will be notified at the last minute?

OP posts:
Please
or

notimagain · 05/09/2020 15:14

I'm not that familiar with easyjet's website so I have no idea what "worldwide" means in this context, but I've certainly not heard of it being used as shorthand for "no direct flights" so that's a new one on me.

It would help if we knew where the other end of the journey is, but it certainly ATM it looks like they are still selling LGW-Marrakech around Christmas, but some flights look to be sold out..is it possible that's the "problem"?

Please
or

zatarontoast · 05/09/2020 16:05

Thanks @notimagain. It was Belfast-Marrakesh, which was just a new route started this year so I'm assuming that it means that the actual route is being cancelled, not just the flight. Flights to Portugal for example are all sold out now until March, which I think means that easyjet have just pulled these flights as there was plenty of availablity a few days ago, whereas the Marrakesh flights are coming up as needing multiple stops. I can't even ask easyjet as they have stopped doing the chat boxes due to increased demand.

OP posts:
Please
or

Aridane · 05/09/2020 16:13

TUI, Wizz Air and Eyan Air doing direct flights to Marrakesh at Christmas

Please
or

Moonshinemisses · 05/09/2020 16:17

A quick Google brings up this & lots of other info.

Worldwide by easyJet means you can book flights to far away destinations like New York and Singapore directly with us! We can connect you around the world and across Europe in one handy place with a quick and easy transfer through our self-connection hubs.
//www.easyjet.com › extra-services
Worldwide by easyJet - easyJet.com

Please
or

Aridane · 05/09/2020 16:21

This is what I see on the EasyJet app - are these direct?

Please
or

Aridane · 05/09/2020 16:27

And on Skyscanner it’s showing direct /. See 2nd screen grab attached

Please
or

zatarontoast · 05/09/2020 16:47

Thanks all. Yes there are direct flights from London, but seemingly not from Belfast anymore. This was not the case a few days ago, unless there is a problem with easyjet's website.

OP posts:
Please
or

zatarontoast · 05/09/2020 16:50

I just checked skyscanner andBelfast-Marrakech is not showing up as a direct route either. I think our holiday is off! How much notice do easyjet usually give.

OP posts:
Please
or

notimagain · 05/09/2020 17:51

Just a heads up that the "direct" term in this context can have (or used to have) a very different meaning from "non-stop", certainly for UK flights. The wiki explanation is as good as any..

A direct flight in the aviation industry is any flight between two points by an airline with no change in flight numbers, which may include one or more stops at an intermediate point(s)"....."Direct flights are often confused with non-stop flights, which are a special case of direct flights involving no intermediate stops".

Please
or

Aridane · 05/09/2020 18:54

@notimagain - I don’t understand that. Does it mean you stay out the plane when it lands so for you there is no change?

Please
or

notimagain · 05/09/2020 19:08

That's about it...

I suspect highly unlikely to happen on Easyjet, but I have seen it done once or twice in the past on short haul flights so it's worth being aware what the term "direct" means, just in case it pops up.

These days it's mostly a Long haul thing and even then it's rare - e.g Europe to Australia, where ( before covid came along) there were flights that left Europe, did a brief transit stop in for example either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, and then went on to Australia...same flight number all the way through, passengers might have the option of staying on or get off during the transit for a quick leg stretch - depends on local rules.

Such a flight would be Europe - Australia direct but it's certainly not non-stop.

Please
or

zatarontoast · 05/09/2020 20:11

Update: I've just checked again and it is now saying "Sorry we don't fly to this destination" so I think this confirms that the route has been axed.

OP posts:
Please
or

RedCatBlueCat · 05/09/2020 20:18

@Aridane I used to get one of those flights when we lived abroad. It was noted as a technical stop on the schedule. There was one flight a day, that went Frankfurt-Second country-where we wanted to go. Yes, I sat on the plane while half passengers got off. A handful more got on, and then we did the last hour flying.

Please
or

Aridane · 05/09/2020 21:41

Thanks, @RedCatBlueCat

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?