Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

New York

13 replies

Mama1980 · 22/08/2020 16:24

I'm not looking to book right now (obviously) but I'm just starting to plan a trip to New York.
I was wondering if anyone had any good hotel recommendations please? Somewhere fairly central but not crazy expensive.
Also would a week be long enough to see all the main sites and has anyone been to Monticello from New York?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

CatPeach · 22/08/2020 16:27

The Edison is usually well priced. Its right in Times Sq so perfect location. I’ve stayed there 4 times. Rooms were lovely. There is no restaurant for breakfast, but its mostly room only in NY anyway.

A week is definitely enough to see everything you want to comfortably.

Please
or

LittleRa · 22/08/2020 16:29

We stayed at The Shoreham www.shorehamhotel.com/ in mid-town, so it was central (near Rockerfeller Center, Central Park, 5th Ave).

Please
or

FeltCarrot · 24/08/2020 11:03

We stayed at the Garden Hilton on 33rd, round the corner from ESB.
It depends what you want from a hotel, we are happy if it’s clean and convenient because we don’t spend much time in the hotel itself.

Please
or

SJaneS48 · 26/08/2020 07:36

We went in October and stayed out in Brooklyn - this obviously doesn’t fit your central requirement but if checking Manhattan hotel prices has you recoiling in horror then it’s worth looking in Brooklyn! It took us 30 minutes on the subway to get in to Manhattan and we stayed in a really nice gentrified Brownstone area - after Manhattan which can be quite frenetic it was nice to get back too!

We stayed 5 days - both DH & I had been before but first time for DD, IMO 4/5 days is enough but there is certainly enough to do in a week. I’d advise planning your days ahead and the attractions you want to see by zones so you’re not covering wide areas in one day. There is a NY pass (I forget the name!) which may work out to be cost effective if you plan to visit a number of attractions. NY isn’t a cheap trip but there are numerous things you can do for free - the High Line (nice on a sunny day, an old converted rail line that is above street level), walking Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park and taking the ferry over to Staten Island to see the Statue of Liberty. Take good walking shoes! If you are going to be using the subway a lot, there are some cost effective options - we used a top up card but I’m not sure this was the cheapest way to do it!

Please
or

DulciUke · 30/08/2020 22:05

Re Monticello, that's around 5.5-6 hours by highway, one way. Or, you could take a longer train to Charlottesville. Monticello is right outside of town. You could Uber or see if there's a tour that leaves from there. It's a bit far as a side trip from NYC.

Please
or

allfurcoatnoknickers · 10/09/2020 22:53

I live in NY. I think you can't really beat the Hudson for price and location. It's also NOT in Times Square, which is horrible.

Also suggest you take a look at The Jane. It's a bit quirky, but great location.

Please
or

yikesanotherbooboo · 10/09/2020 23:01

Monticello is more accessible from Washington DC. You could have a great trip with a few days in Washington where there is lots to see and a trip to Monticello perhaps with a night in Charlottesville.

Please
or

heathergem · 10/09/2020 23:06

The Crosby St Hotel is the business. W

Please
or

heathergem · 10/09/2020 23:08

The Crosby is within walking distance the Brooklyn Bridge, the High Line, a walk up Broadway or 5th ave. missing NY this time of year.

Please
or

tentative3 · 24/10/2020 19:27

Hotel Beacon on the UWS is super close to the subway, central park and the UWS museums. Plus Levain bakery which is the main appeal... There are kitchenettes in every room and Fairway is over the road, Zabar's close enough too. The rooms are a good size too, which is less common for NY.

I don't at all see the appeal of staying in Times Square and nowhere is going to be central for everywhere; you'll need to take the subway anyway.

Please
or

MummytoCSJH · 24/10/2020 20:05

We stayed at Amsterdam Court Hotel, just around the corner from Times Square. We were very happy with the whole stay! Just under $770 for 7 nights, so around £85 per night which is pretty good for the central location and qualify of everything, and breakfast was also available (can't remember if it was included or extra but there are loads of great places nearby if not). A week was plenty of time for us.

Please
or

Sasuma · 23/11/2020 11:38

I really like the Bowery hotel, Lower East Side and could walk to most places from there. www.theboweryhotel.com/

Please
or

MyGhastIsFlabbered · 28/11/2020 18:26

We've just booked our honeymoon next September. We're staying at the Rui Times Square. I've been before but only for 2 nights. DP has always dreamed of going

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?