Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

So instead of a holiday abroad we are doing a few days in London with teens what should we do ?

19 replies

starrynight19 · 21/08/2020 19:47

Also any recommendations for eating out ?
Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

Gabbss · 21/08/2020 19:57

Might be nice to do a long walk following the Thames and up to central London. Starting with afternoon tea at The Ivy or cocktails Chelsea courtyard then a nice dinner.

You could also get a boat along the river Thames up to Greenwich and get off at each stop to explore and finish off with a trip to the Royal Observatory for a look around then sit at the top point of the park right next to it to watch the sun go down over London.

Please
or

ScorpioSphinxInACalicoDress · 22/08/2020 17:30

Sunset from top of Greenwich hill
Walk along the river on both sides at different times
Tower Bridge - to have your photo taken lying over the glass bit Grin
Olympic park over in Stratford
I just love walking round...

Tbh for food we tend to download the vouchers all over the place and I have my quidco cashback as restaurant vouchers, so usual suspects, Prezzo, Pizza places, plus Chinatown one night.

Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 23/08/2020 07:41

Madame Tussaud’s! It’s normally busy (but still great fun and worth doing) but with limited numbers allowed in at one time, it shouldn’t be too bad. It’s also close to the Sherlock Holmes museum so last time we went, we did both on the same day, with lunch in between in the park.
The London Dungeon is geared at teens. It’s right by the London Eye, and you can buy combination tickets. There are lots of good places to eat all along southbank. Giraffe has plenty of outdoor seating.
The largest Lego store in the world and M&M world in Leicester Square.
Inamo in Soho - Each table has an interactive surface, basically like a large iPad. You can draw on your table, play interactive games such as battleships with the rest of the people dining with you, change the colour and mood of the area around your table and check out the local area. One of the coolest features is the chef-cam which allows you to watch your food being prepared. It's Asian cuisine (think Wagamama) so expect lots of noodles and rice. There are a couple of other branches in London too.
We always try to fit in a trip to Chin Chin Dessert lab for the liquid nitrogen ice cream, even in the winter! There’s a branch in Camden and Soho.

My Old Dutch - various locations serving jaw-dropping pancakes. A good range of savoury (I like the ratatouille and creamed spinach but my DCs like the Italian, the Chilli con Carne and the Hot Dutch). You can also make your own. An even better range of sweet pancakes and a 'specials menu' with a pancake called Star Trek on Nutella!
Bubba Gump is another favourite. It’s got a cool Forrest Gump theme.
Pizza Pilgrims has a few restaurants across London, including a lovely spot just off Carnaby Street. Their stone-baked pizza is amazing, but leave room for the Nutella pizza ring for pudding.
Planet Hollywood is also quite fun.

Please
or

Fightthebear · 23/08/2020 07:48

Camden Market, teens still seem to love it.

A really good walk to see the big sights is:-

Leicester Square
Trafalgar Square
The Mall
Buckingham Palace
St James’s Park
Westminster Abbey
Parliament
Whitehall and
back to Leicester Square.

Lunch in Chinatown.

Please
or

bookmum08 · 23/08/2020 08:01

What are your and your teens interests?
London is full of so much to suggest something is almost impossible without a bit of knowledge of what you like. Where are you coming from? If it's another city then some of the big museums can be similar to big museums elsewhere so unless you wanted to see a very specific thing then I wouldn't bother with places like the Science Museum etc.
Have you been to London before? If not the historical places that are very important and specific to London are worth seeing - Buckingham Palace, Parliament, Tower of London etc.
Teens might like places like Camden Market or Covent Market. It can be fun to go to shops that you don't have at home. Lego Store and Forbidden Planet are two of my favourites. M+M Store is a totally bizarre experience. If your teens are book lovers then Foyle's is brilliant. They have a lot of American teen books you don't find in your average WHSmith/Waterstones.
Remember though - lots of places are still closed or have limited access.

Please
or

WelshMoth · 23/08/2020 08:13

Marking place

Please
or

starrynight19 · 23/08/2020 11:54

Thanks for all the suggestions. No not coming from a big city , live quite rural so it will be very different for us.
Only I have been to London before for a weekend so the dc have not seen any of it.
One sports mad teen , one loves to shop and one will love the Foyles recommendation, Thankyou.
Booked the dungeon , eye and Tussauds up to now. Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

starrynight19 · 23/08/2020 12:03

Which Inamo would be closest to the dungeon and how long would we be in the dungeon ?
Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 23/08/2020 12:49

Once you start the journey through the Dungeons it takes about 1.5 hours to get around. Then you get to linger in the Tavern so add on another 15 minutes or so. That was pre-Covid times though. Inamo Covent Garden would probably be the best if you’re walking from the Dungeons. Just go over Waterloo Bridge.

Please
or

starrynight19 · 23/08/2020 17:35

Thanks Ricekrispie22 just booked that one 👍

OP posts:
Please
or

starrynight19 · 23/08/2020 17:39

Am hoping we get to see the sunset but very mixed weather for next week here’s hoping 🤞

OP posts:
Please
or

Funf · 25/08/2020 06:13

Another vote for Camden, Is Cereal Killer still open?
This place is fab, its been used in a few films and they did do some very good early bird offers, just check first.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criterion_Restaurant

Please
or

MsTSwift · 25/08/2020 06:19

Mine love shopping and fashion we like Carnaby Street with lunch / brunch at The Diner in Ganton Street mine love Americana
then Royal Academy for art and walk to Buckingham Palace.

We also like the British museum though best to do some research and focus on one bit that is vaguely of interest rather than aimless wandering which can get tiring.

Please
or

MrsSchadenfreude · 25/08/2020 06:35

Camden Market, Carnaby Street and Oxford Street are all popular with teens. Mine also like the South Bank - lots of restaurants and pop up bars outside, also street food and ice creams, and good for people watching.

The number11 bus takes in sights such as Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, St Pauls, Tower of London. Actually, both of mine really enjoyed going round the Tower, although it takes a long time.

If you want to experience a posh restaurant without a huge price tag, a lot do breakfast which is a good way of doing it.

Please
or

Fightthebear · 25/08/2020 13:00

I think both the Criterion and Cereal Killer cafe have closed Sad

Please
or

Fightthebear · 25/08/2020 18:32

Just walked past the Criterion and there’s a fairly standard looking Italian there now, Granaio. Might work if you want to see the interior.

Please
or

starrynight19 · 25/08/2020 21:36

Thanks for the dungeon and the Inamo recommendation we really enjoyed both of them today , worn out 👍

OP posts:
Please
or

idlevice · 25/08/2020 21:56

Climbing the O2/millennium dome & cable car over the Thames, both at North Greenwich

Please
or

Houseplantmad · 30/08/2020 12:01

Rokit in Covent Garden for the shopper (vintage).
Brick lane on a Sunday and street art tour.
My DCs lives Bermondsey- not far from Tower Bridge.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?