Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

BA/EasyJet France flights

0 replies

Jocasta2018 · 17/08/2020 08:32

This is long so bear with me.

I know that a lot of people have been thinking of cancelling trips due to the France FCO changes/quarantine & Id like to share my experience.

I was due to fly back from France today - I was meant to be travelling over by car 10 days ago but had a dodgy tummy so didn't go. I knew I should cancel my flights but was a bit chaotic & I forgot...

My EasyJet flight back had been changed two weeks after booking from leaving at 1230 to leaving at 2155 which I wasn't too happy about.
Being slightly neurotic, I decided to book a BA flight that was leaving at 1500 - if either flight was cancelled last minute then in theory I had a back-up...

Earlier today I thought 'oh I must cancel my flights' particularly as Id checked in my EasyJet flight at the end of July. I was cancelling both flights 2 hours before travel.
I also called both airlines up as the websites/Apps were crap. I got through easily to both airlines (at 6am...).

EasyJet told me that I could get a voucher for my full amount €225 to be used before 17/08/2021 but I could book a flight/package for use after this window.

BA gave me a voucher for €113 to be used & journey completed before 30/04/2022.

Both vouchers could be used for flights & packages however I will have to book via phone.

I think if I'd cancelled more than 48hours before flying then I might've got my money back minus fees but don't quote me on that. I have cancelled both flights 2 hours before take off.

Anyway the reason I got this is because I'd booked my journey before the FCO advice about France had changed but because the advice had NOW changed, I could get the money back even though the flights had not been cancelled & were still flying.

If I'd cancelled before the FCO advice changed ie up until last Thursday, I wouldn't have got anything.

I appreciate that I'm only dealing with flights, not packages, plus I'd only booked a single journey (not a return) & I was happy to have a voucher.
However for those of you that are having to cancel due to the France/UK quarantine rules, and if you booked pre-FCO advice change last Thursday, it might be worth giving both BA & EasyJet a call this morning.

Incidentally, I have insurance through my Barclays Premier account.
They informed me that because I'd booked when FCO travel advice was ok, if I had travelled then my health insurance would be valid even if the FCO advice changed whilst I was away.
Also if I decided not to travel due to FCO advice changing before my trip, (ie now!) I would be able to claim the holiday cost back because I booked whilst FCO advice was ok.

Hope this might help some of you at least get a voucher or hopefully some of your money back. Good luck!

OP posts:
Please
or
to access all these features
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?