Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Gluten / dairy free in France

11 replies

MindfulBear · 08/08/2020 12:00

I'm in France and cannot find a vegan croissant for my DF daughter or a GF one for me...... any ideas on where to head to? Or where to order from?

We found a GF and DF pizza in a small supermarket but can't find in the larger supermarkets. Very bizarre!

Do the French not "do" GF or DF?!

TIA

OP posts:
Please
or

MindfulBear · 08/08/2020 12:12

#firstworldproblems #obvs

OP posts:
Please
or

Zodlebud · 08/08/2020 14:10

@MindfulBear How do you know the family are not dairy intolerant or coeliac? If you had a family member with an intolerance or allergy you might be a little less flippant.

Although admittedly , wanting very specific foods whilst on holiday with such constraints might be over optimistic. I’d just settle for bread.

Please
or

bestbefore · 08/08/2020 14:13

We had take away pizza and just asked for no cheese as they were made to order. Don't know about gluten free though

Please
or

myrtleWilson · 08/08/2020 14:18

Super U had a decent amount of GF when I was in the South of France a couple of years back...

Please
or

Musicalmistress · 08/08/2020 14:20

@Zodlebud you do realise the OP made the first world probs post?

Please
or

TW2013 · 08/08/2020 14:28

They usually lurk with the bio/health food section, often near the pharmacy area. It can be a little way from 'normal' food. Do be aware that gluten stuff also lurks in the same area. Not as wide a range as in the uk, but you should be able to find enough to subsist on. Not sure that I have had gf croissants though. I imagine that they might see gf croissants as a step too far as probably nowhere near as good as the real thing. I would say that generally fresh bread doesn't seem to be such a thing as it is in UK, which is strange. It tends to be more the prepackaged longer life type. One of the benefits for me this year of staying in UK! Vegetarian/ Vegan options are only slowly expanding.

Please
or

Zodlebud · 08/08/2020 14:32

@Musicalmistress oh gosh - thanks for pointing that out!!!!! Sorry, my child has an intolerance (eating any more than a small amount can make her really quite poorly). I’ve had various comments about my child being too fussy and I am being too careful because “it’s not going to kill her”.

I guess I just snapped Grin

Please
or

DreamingofSunshine · 08/08/2020 14:40

No, it's not as common as in the UK to have restaurants marking GF or vegan. Supermarkets have a decent selection, and if you are in Paris there was a patisserie called noglu which did gf croissants.

Please
or

minnieok · 08/08/2020 14:41

Not sure about gf, but intemarche has dairy free (vegan) croissants when we went (db is vegan) and also pizza. Gluten free I'm guessing are in a separate part of the supermarket, like in the U.K. but I haven't looked as we aren't coeliac.

Please
or

MindfulBear · 08/08/2020 22:33

Thanks everyone. I'm guessing it is the area of France we are in then. Even the large hypermarche lack a decent GF section and the DF / vegan alternatives are pretty sparse / non existent.

No vegan croissants or pain au chocolat for DD. I brought some waitrose ones with me expecting to be able to stock up once we got here.

#mummyfail

I've never seen GF croissants but I'm told they exist in France so I shall keep hunting!!

OP posts:
Please
or

MindfulBear · 08/08/2020 22:34

If anyone knows where I can order some for delivery in France please let me know!
Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?