Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Lapland holidays

6 replies

1000mangoesinabirthdaycake · 01/08/2020 10:39

I'm thinking well ahead for a Lapland trip when both of my DC will be old enough to remember it. I've read some older threads on it but still had some questions.

I can see there's a few different places you can go but I'm not sure which is best and what the differences are. I've always liked the idea of staying in the glass igloos at Roviemeni but can you do that and do a Santa holiday or are the resorts different?

Lastly, I'm in the north of Scotland so not sure how easy these places are to get to from here. Anyone from Scotland got advice on the easiest to get to, or am I going to have to travel down to Manchester or London?

OP posts:
Please
or

Zodlebud · 01/08/2020 22:08

We went with Canterbury Travel and would highly recommend. Most expensive family holiday ever but worth every penny.

Rovanemi isn’t that great to be honest. We stopped off at Santa Village on the way back to the airport - it was rammed and full of tourist tat (although there were a few nice shops). Canterbury take you about an hour and a quarter north to Luosto where it’s really quiet and feels so much more like Santa’s real home.

Please
or

babypossum · 01/08/2020 22:13

I second Canterbury Travel. It was the most magical holiday and you get to see Santa by yourselves, not as part of a group. Consequently I've lost count of the times I've recommended them. We flew from Gatwick though so unsure about travel from your way.

Please
or

MarkRuffaloCrumble · 01/08/2020 22:30

We did it independently and stayed at a cabin at Pyha and then a hotel in Luosto. Stopped at Rovaniemi for one night and visited Santa-land there, even though we didn’t take any kids Grin. It was a bit of fun, and would be magical for little ones to meet Santa and see the reindeer in the snow, but I think you can see him ‘out in the wilderness’ as it were, when you go out with a tour operator like Canterbury, which would be even more special I think.

Be warned, everything is f...ing expensive there! So if you can do a package where trips and food etc is included, at least there won’t be any nasty surprises! DP and I went to a restaurant in Rovaniemi for dinner on the first night which was €60 each for a Tastes of Lapland menu, no alcohol. We came out starving and went to McDonalds for a cheeseburger afterwards Grin

There’s a great group on Facebook where I got loads of inspiration and advice. There’s also a for sale group where you can buy clothing etc to save you buying it all new if that helps.

It was a real experience and I’m glad we went but it was also quite hard work so make sure you pencil in some down time - even getting dressed to go outside is an ordeal, with all the layers and gloves, hats etc but the scenery and experiences were like nowhere we’ve ever been.

Please
or

1000mangoesinabirthdaycake · 02/08/2020 19:05

Thanks for the info so far! Given that it's going to be expensive however we do it I don't think I'll rule out travel via London if it gives us better options.

OP posts:
Please
or

KoalasandRabbit · 03/08/2020 15:47

We went with Thomson back in 2012 and had an amazing time, 3 nights over Christmas - they do regional departures. We paid £2,200 for 4 of us - kids aged 5 and 7 then which was the perfect age. Think the cost has risen considerably since we went.

We flew into Rovaniemi and stayed in Santa Sport hotel, it was fine for us - had a big swimming pool, jacuzzis, play area for kids (chargeable), rooms were clean but nothing fancy and food was OK though nothing special, just ate breakfast there, used pool and play area every day. Also went about 1 -2 hours out somewhere remote where we did husky and reindeer rides, snowmobiles etc and had a lovely meal on first day. Then we had a Christmas eve meal with fireworks and santa arrived at midnight on reindeer in the snow. We then did another reindeer and husky rides in Rovaniemi and visted the post office, elf show and crossed Artic circle. Our package included snowsuit, boots etc. It's very short daylight hours at that time of year and seriously cold when we were there, around -27C. I wouldn't take under 5s due to cold but we would all go every year if we had the money. I preferred the place out in the wilderness to Rovaniemi place but it was fine for us as a base and kids were very excited with the you have crossed the artic circle sign and enjoyed baking gingerbread and husky and reindeer rides there.

Please
or

croon979 · 09/08/2020 13:17

Canterbury Travel - the absolute best. We made so many magical memories.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?