Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Baby’s first passport supporting document confusions!?!

19 replies

Maddyde · 24/07/2020 21:57

I’ve submitted my application for my Daughters first passport and having difficulties with the documents I’m supposed to send.

I’m fully English and partner is Italian, we’re not married and at the time of her birth he wasn’t in the settlement scheme.
She was born in England and is English.

On the online application it says I need to send off original birth certificates for my daughter, myself and partner AND both maternal and paternal grandparents birth and marriage certificates.
I really don’t understand this. She’s English, I’m English? Is this a mistake on the online form? Do they think maybe I’m not English? Has anyone else had this?
I popped into the post office to check with them today and they said they usually just ask for grandparents details eg date of birth and date of marriage etc not original documents.
I could get my parents documents but getting partners parents documents will be a big pain from Italy and then having to get a translation company to translate and then confirm them.

Does this seem a bit excessive to anyone else or anyone else had any issues like this?

We need to go to Italy ASAP to visit an ill member of family. Explained this all to the passport office at the beginning of the week and they said someone would be in contact by Friday (today) but nothing! Called numerous times today but kept being put in a queue and never got called back.
Any suggestions on what I should do?

OP posts:
Please
or

LouiseTrees · 24/07/2020 22:00

I definitely think something has gone wrong somewhere on the form. I don’t know the answer but commenting so the thread gets bumped.

Please
or

Witsend101 · 25/07/2020 18:49

Being born in England doesn't automatically make you British. It sounds like they are trying to check how you got your British citizenship or maybe you've filled in something not quite right on the form and so they are checking paternal /maternal sides of things.

Please
or

MorningManiacMusic · 27/07/2020 09:54

Your daughter would appear to be automatically a British Citizen, yes. But you have to provide the documentation to confirm that. It looks like there has been a mistake somehow at the application stage. My DD is dual nationality Italian and BC, and I'm not married to dp. Beyond stating his name and DOB I didn't have to provide anything for him when I did her first ppt or her renewal (over 5 yrs had passed so it was actually a new application) in March this year.
Your daughter is, on what you've said, obtaining her BCship through you, and you alone, so I'm really not sure why they need anything from her father. Were you born abroad?

Please
or

SoupDragon · 27/07/2020 09:58

We need to go to Italy ASAP to visit an ill member of family.

I think there is a huge backlog at the passport office at the moment. Depending on how soon "ASAP" is you might struggle. I'm not sure you can fast track a child's first passport either.

Please
or

MorningManiacMusic · 27/07/2020 10:01

It might be quicker to get her an Italian ID card. Maybe ring an Italian consulate?

Please
or

midnightstar66 · 27/07/2020 10:04

You only need to send the details of one parent. I never included exp's details at all on the passport form. Redo the form without his details and they shouldn't ask for his parents things

Please
or

GreenLeafTurnip · 27/07/2020 10:50

Call the helpline they're really good. I'm abroad, British but married to foreigner and son was born abroad. Think I sent my parents marriage and birth certificates and that was it. They just needed my passport number so I don't think is should be so difficult for you!

Please
or

Pinkywoo · 27/07/2020 11:40

We had almost the exact same problem, I am English and DH is Italian and DS was born last year here in England. We were told the same thing, that we needed both sets of grandparents birth and marriage certificates, which would have been a nightmare, but when I called the passport office it turned out that because I was born before 1982 all they needed was mine and DH's documents. What year were you born as it can make a huge difference for some reason, my sister (born 83) had to provide our parents birth and marriage certificates to get a passport, but I only needed my birth certificate, definitely call them again as there may be a way around it.

Please
or

BertieBotts · 27/07/2020 11:42

You only need the certificate from one grandparent. I sent my mum's birth certificate and this was fine.

Please
or

MorningManiacMusic · 27/07/2020 12:57

Pinky- before 1/1/82 all babies born in the UK were automatically British.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 27/07/2020 13:01

If you have a British passport and you are the person doing the application then you just need your passport number and the childs birth certificate and none of the other grandparent details, etc. They are checking that you are British so you can pass British Citizenship down to your child.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 27/07/2020 13:02

I have heard before about the online application asking for extra info that isn't required

Please
or

Joopy · 27/07/2020 13:09

Are you sure? Check the form, when I got my son a passport they asked for details of grandparents such as date of birth and date of marriage, they didn't ask for any documents. My son was born in Italy, I'm British, DH is Italian.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 27/07/2020 13:15

If OP has a british passport then British nationality is passed to the child. The notes say that putting the British passport number is sufficient

Please
or

MorningManiacMusic · 27/07/2020 17:50

Not necessarily, not if she herself is British by descent. My DD born in Italy is BC-D and won't be able to pass on her citizenship.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 27/07/2020 18:36

She didn't say she was British by descent though. Sounds like her family were all born in England so she can pass it on to her dd.

Please
or

MorningManiacMusic · 27/07/2020 20:40

Oh yes, I get that, which is why it's odd they are asking for the gp docs as usually they wouldn't.
I applied for DD from Italy and didn't have to send anything. So it's odd.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 27/07/2020 20:50

I think the online service can default to asking for everything even if its not all required - I've read similar threads on here before

Please
or

Yadiya · 28/07/2020 23:24

When I applied for my son's first UK passport 4 years ago, I was also asked about grandparents. But they don't need documents, just the info on DOB, place of birth and date of marriage
Just include your passport details
Might be worth sending a cover letter with your application just to explain

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?