Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

When will Long Haul from UK resume?

9 replies

Sparkles512 · 17/07/2020 08:48

Hi we have a holiday booked with TUI to Mexico in November.
We are keen to still have a holiday this year so possibly switch to Jamaica or Dominican if they are open.
Does anyone know if long haul flights will resume this year? Or is next year more realistic!

OP posts:
Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 17/07/2020 10:06

I think all you can do for now is wait to see if it actually goes ahead or not.

The 2020 Atlantic hurricane season for the Caribbean runs from June 1 to November 30 so if your holiday is cancelled I would wait until next year.

The Dominican Republic currently remains closed to tourists until further notice.

Please
or

notimagain · 17/07/2020 19:47

Does anyone know if long haul flights will resume this year?

Out of the UK? They never fully, completely stopped..

There are a very very limited number of Long Haul passengers flights still being operated by UK airlines...Problem is those very few flights have often been to places such as the States with very strict entry criteria.

There are however signs that some more services might start operating in the next month or so..it's not many, nothing like normal service, and of course if the coronavirus situation changes, either in the UK or at "the other end", wherever that might be, then they might not operate.

If you are looking at specific destinations not currently served then as Attila says it's probably a case of waiting and seeing what develops.

Please
or

HansBanans · 17/07/2020 19:53

From what I've heard TUI are resuming long haul flights in September/October time so you should be ok for November.

Please
or

Sparkles512 · 17/07/2020 20:24

@HansBanans thank you, fingers crossed for November!

OP posts:
Please
or

notimagain · 19/07/2020 16:21

@Sparkles512

Doesn't help in the context of TUI but I'm hearing that BA have just (in last day or so) recommenced Barbados services out of London and their Kingston service is rumoured to be returning shortly, so there's a bit more evidence that some longhaul holidays to the likes of the Caribbean might be up and running before too long.

Hope your plans for MEX work out OK.

Please
or

Sparkles512 · 19/07/2020 16:24

@notimagain thank you that is reassuring! We will just have to wait and see what happens I think

OP posts:
Please
or

Aragog · 19/07/2020 16:27

We have a long haul holiday booked to Antigua via BA in October. We are assuming it will go ahead, unless there was a dramatic change in England's cases by then.

Please
or

sunglasses123 · 23/07/2020 17:18

I am due to go to Cape Town November 20. All fully refundable via Trailfinders who are fab and will give all money back, however I dont want my money back.

This pandemic has shown me there are people like me who if it is open I will go and there are the others who wont go unless there is a proven vaccine, 100% guarantee its 'safe' etc.

I think I am sailing very close to the wind on SA though. I am expecting other countries like the UAE to open up in the next few weeks anyway and lots of testing etc. What I dont want is a test, wait at the airport for result and then you can go. Apparently last month the wait in Hong Kong for the results of those tests was 10 hours!

Can you imagine what you would feel like after a long haul flight in economy, go through security and THEN wait 10 hours for the results of a test....

Please
or

ihatethecold · 23/07/2020 17:32

I think the issue may be that Mexico isn't safe due to the very high CV deaths and infection rates in South America. They are still at their peaks so may be very high risk and your insurance may not cover you if the FO advice is not to go to that part of the world.

even is TUI will still fly you there

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?