Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Help - DH big birthday trip ideas - what should I do?

4 replies

Peasbewithyou · 14/07/2020 21:18

DH is going to be 40 in October. Before the horrors of COVID and lockdown, we were going to have some celebratory drinks with friends in a local pub and then go away as a family for October half term. We were either going to go to a naice hotel in the UK (and potentially bring MIL so that she could look after DC so we could have a meal alone enjoy and celebrate too OR we were going to go abroad to Portugal or Italy for a week.

I hadn't actually booked anything before COVID happened and now I am not sure what, or even if, to book. Should I try to book a hotel or something in the UK? Or risk it and book abroad? I feel like maybe that's asking for trouble with The Second Wave looming.

DH is quite a foodie and likes nice wine. He would probably most like somewhere he can relax for a few days and where the kids will be entertained (our kids are aged between 2 and 8). He doesn't like hot destinations so it isn't a problem that Portugal or whatever isn't going to be warm, it is more that we might not be able to go!

I am really torn as to what to do. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions / recommendations??

OP posts:
Please
or

Peasbewithyou · 14/07/2020 21:34

If I did go with a hotel or something in the UK does anyone have any recommendations?

Same goes with abroad but I am currently thinking that might be too tricky!

OP posts:
Please
or

Peasbewithyou · 14/07/2020 22:27

bump

OP posts:
Please
or

KoalasandRabbit · 15/07/2020 03:51

It's hard to know what the situation will be in October but I do think there's a risk of more lockdowns / countries refusing us entry / second wave so I would be wary of booking unless you are absolutely certain you can get money back. I just had to cancel our summer one abroad booked last year and struggled even getting some of the supposedly refundable ones abroad to refund. Though conversely one of the non-refundable refunded. Insurance won't pay out anything with all their get out clauses. So if you do book check you can get money back and check the small print and reviews. I would vere towards booking last minute though difficult if its October half term as some things will sell out.

We've booked Watermouth Castle which is an apartment in a castle with swimming pool, 50 acre grounds closed to public but open to 7 apartments with mini golf and crazy snooker onsite but also figured its safer than hotel atm. I just looked though and they don't seem to be advertising October. I'm sure they would refund or change dates as they gave us 10% back after we booked last minute just as goodwill. Another one I saw but we couldn't get dates to work was Puddleduck Valley which has lots of animals and kids activities on site but apartments so safer. Though might be a bit rainy in October for some activities like rowing and more for the kids than your DH. Activities wise mine are older but doing boat trips to Lundy hopefully seeing dolphins, porpoise and puffins and seals, gorging at Oakehampton and llama walking on Dartmoor. You can also stay on Lundy but no wifi, think in October its the helicopter over. Not sure about food and wine, there's cream tea.

Abroad I would leave to last minute - would consider Italy - maybe the south or Sicily. It's tricky atm. Good luck finding somewhere.

Please
or

Peasbewithyou · 15/07/2020 14:41

Thank you! I will look up those places!
Maybe last minute abroad would be a good back up if I don’t find anything in the UK.

The uncertainty makes it hard!

I definitely won’t book without reassurance that I am covered in case it’s cancelled!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?