Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

France in August - booked last year

5 replies

Greenbeanie88 · 30/06/2020 11:25

We booked our holiday to France last year. It's a rural place with a handful of self-catering gites, on a large plot of land with a pool.

Given the announcement that we are now okay to travel to France we are trying to sum up if we should still go. The owners are planning to re-open from mid July.

We've been before and know the set up and in terms of 'risk' it is pretty low. We have our own private garden as well as the large communal areas. We accept that if we go our children will play closely with other children there. The majority of our time will be spent on the property but we would also like to go out for some day trips - there are some nice places with parks/water to visit not too far.

We'll be driving and on the eurotunnel.

We have yearly travel insurance which was in place before this started and seems we may be covered to some extent should there be a further lockdown and/or we have to cancel.

Just wondering if there are any mumsnetters in a similar position and have any other thoughts/considerations?

Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

ChilliMum · 30/06/2020 11:40

I live in France and I think you will be fine. It seems to me that you are safer in France than in the UK at the moment.

We have been in 'deconfinement' since the 25th May and my kids have been back at school / I have been back at work for a few weeks and so far it seems to be going quite well - they are clear that the virus is circulating but levels are low and they are tracking outbreaks (the app is about as successful as the one in the UK as here no one is using it) but people are getting tested and outbreaks are being dealt with.

I can't comment about other areas of france but where I am, most people are following the rules - social distancing and masks in doors for adults. I dont feel unsafe at all.

If you want to visit places though you should check out their websites beforehand- some places like swimming pools and attractions you have to book as they are limiting customer numbers.

We are planning to go on holiday to a different part of France and are not worried about it at the moment.

Please
or

Greenbeanie88 · 30/06/2020 11:53

Thanks Chillimum - good point, it probably is safer in France than the UK!!

It's really helpful to hear your feedback thank you.

OP posts:
Please
or

RubyViolet · 30/06/2020 13:07

Hi ChilliMum, l am weighing up travelling to rural South France. Flying not driving. It’s so difficult to decide what to do. We aren’t worried about the gite or shopping locally, it’s the flight.
Not sure if it’s wise to take the risk.

Please
or

ChilliMum · 30/06/2020 14:49

Sorry, I cant comment on flights as honestly I am not sure I would be comfortable with flying either.

I suppose you could wait and see how it is with the flights - I dont know when you are going but flights are starting to operate again now so we will see in a few weeks if there are any outbreaks connected to air travel.

Please
or

CountessFrog · 30/06/2020 14:50

I cancelled a similar holiday but only because we were flying rather than driving. South of France.

If I could get home more easily, I’d go.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?