Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Anyone have an August holiday booked with On The Beach?

40 replies

harper30 · 26/06/2020 15:20

Hi all,
Just wanted to see if there's anyone in the same boat. We have a honeymoon (but with our toddler) booked in Tenerife for a week in August and I really don't know what to do.
On The Beach really seem to have no options to talk to anyone (such an expensive phone number) and no real option to message them as we've tried several times and had no reply. The 'change dates' option on our booking is greyed out.
We don't want to go, travelling with Covid restrictions and a toddler will be a nightmare, my partner is asthmatic and therefore terrified of catching it (whether that's a reasonable fear or not I don't know) and we just worry that if we go, to avoid losing money, the hotel will be half shut, or no pools or restaurants etc.
Anyone in the same position? I've paid £900 so far and we're due to pay the other £1750 on the 30th of July. To cancel id have to pay another £160 on top of the current £900 just to cancel Shock

OP posts:
Please
or

Mammawilson · 27/06/2020 18:05

Im booked with them from august, i sent them a messege through the 'my booking' option on their site just now asking to change the date for october this year as mine and my daughters passports havent yet arrived

Please
or

Mammawilson · 27/06/2020 18:06

Whwre have you tried to contact them?

Please
or

harper30 · 28/06/2020 14:00

Hey thanks for responding :)
I've tried to send messages through the website and they don't seem to get sent/I don't get a response.
I've not tried calling yet as I know the line costs a fortune.
Did they reply to your message and change your dates? What combination of 'options' did you pick from the drop down message menu to be able to actually write and send a message? Most of the drop downs just take you to an FAQ and not a message.
Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

harper30 · 28/06/2020 14:05

Oh! There's now an option for me to send a message about changing dates, it's asked me to check Ryanair first to see if the new dates I want are free and them message them to request the date change and they'll quote me a new price apparently 👍👍👍

OP posts:
Please
or

underneaththeash · 28/06/2020 23:11

I'd make sure that the credit card number they have is blocked by you. You just need to call your credit card and let them know that you on't authorise payments from them.

Please
or

Mammawilson · 29/06/2020 12:37

I only emailed them at the weekend but it does says you should receive a reply by them with 7 days, my last paymebt is due end of july and i will have to pay it or you risk losing everything. I sent them a messege abo7t changing dates on the same but you just did, let me know if and when you receive a reply and i will do the same Smile

Please
or

Catherine1210 · 29/06/2020 18:17

I have a holiday booked 22nd July with on the beach and easy jet flights. Yet to hear anything but I have sent them a message today. We have a passenger in the family who is on the shielding nhs letter list so really can’t risk going. I’m hoping we can move to next year. Easy jet are going to be a tough nut to crack I would imagine!

Please
or

Catherine1210 · 29/06/2020 18:18

I’ve also paid in full pre covid in January. So got £2000 at risk 🙈🙈

Please
or

harper30 · 29/06/2020 18:19

Yes ill let you know if and when they get back to me!
I don't think I'd want to just block them from taking payments from my card as I don't want to lose the chunk of money I've already paid unless I really have no other option and if I cancel the card and next payment they will take that as me cancelling won't they? Or final payment isn't due until the 30th of July so hopefully I'll have something sorted by then 🤞

OP posts:
Please
or

harper30 · 29/06/2020 18:21

Eek, we'll have to keep updating here to see how all of our on the beach missions are going!
I hope you all get responses from them/can change your dates, I wonder if they'll be able to stick to the 'within 7 days' response rule or not

OP posts:
Please
or

Mammawilson · 06/07/2020 15:01

Has anyone heard anything? I messeged them through the wesite on the 27th and still havent heard anything yet

Please
or

harper30 · 06/07/2020 15:13

They rang me today, to change our dates to next year it's going to cost an addition £1060?!????
So instead of a 2.5k holiday it will become a 3.5k holiday, for exactly the same thing, just in a years time.
I'm now completely torn, between paying an extra grand to move it, or just losing the grand deposit I've paid and cancelling it.
I think in all honesty we'll cancel and just lose the money I've paid already. I'd rather do that than pay SO much over the odds for the same holiday in a year, and then just be worried about Covid affecting it then somehow anyway.
So yeah, pretty sure I'll just cancel it.
The guy who rang me was very nice and helpful at least 👍

OP posts:
Please
or

Mammawilson · 06/07/2020 17:16

I find it so frustrating, mine and my youngests passports still are not here so even if Rhodes doesnt cancel travel from the UK then i will lose the money as i wouldnt be able to go anyway, all i want is to go next year, ive done the work, foubd other dates, checked flights are available etc. I have now messeged them on facebook, im hoping to hear something soon its now exactly a month until i go away

Please
or

harper30 · 07/07/2020 15:59

I hope they get back to you soon 🤞 however if it's like mine, they make you pay for the existing flights, and the new flights, hence ours was over a grand to change the dates. I'm 99% sure we're just going to cancel it and lose the deposit/pay the cancellation fee 😟

OP posts:
Please
or

Catherine1210 · 07/07/2020 16:49

Hey so we have been told there are no quarantine restrictions in Majorca or when we get back. I have independently checked and our flights are still operating and the hotel is open... I therefore think we will have zero option of cancelling without losing the money. So we are going and unfortunately my partners Mum who is on the shielding list will not be able to come. I’m going to phone on the beach and discuss a refund for her as she was sent the nhs shielding letter so has the government advice there in writing. I’m not hopeful they’ll offer us a refund for her place though! Let’s see! X

Please
or

harper30 · 07/07/2020 22:28

I hope they'll refund you for her! Or maybe you'd be able to claim the cost of her place back through your insurance?
I cancelled ours tonight and just took the hit and lost all that deposit 😭 gutted

OP posts:
Please
or

Whitegrenache · 07/07/2020 22:36

We are going to Majorca with on the beach and Ryan air - in August and so far I'm hoping there is not going to be any issues (fingers crossed)

Please
or

Whitegrenache · 07/07/2020 22:36

We are going to Majorca with on the beach and Ryan air - in August and so far I'm hoping there is not going to be any issues (fingers crossed)

Please
or

Mammawilson · 12/07/2020 18:09

This is what i got from On the beach when i asked to change dates due to not having our passports yet.

Absolute joke

The process to submit a date change has been taken down from our site, while we prioritise dealing with bookings affected by the pandemic.

However, this is still possible, with the following steps:

. Check on our website that the hotel is available for your new dates.

. Contact the airline to see if it is possible to change the dates of these (Your flight reservation number is on your confirmation)

. Message us via this platform with the date you want to change to.

Once you have done this, we will respond with the costings involved, and if you are happy with this, we will change your hotel and extras.

Then you can change the flight directly with your airline.

Please
or

roses2 · 12/07/2020 18:18

Any possibility of a name change fee and you sell to a friend or family member?

Please
or

Catherine1210 · 12/07/2020 19:21

Update from on the beach, they have changed our hotel 2 days ago and even though I have previously stated I would like to cancel the place of the family member who can’t come to shielding, it was too late to make hotel changes. Yet they changed the whole hotel booking and still carried her over to the new one. They also in the same email said we do understand you wish to take a passenger off the booking but it is too late at this stage, you need to discuss claiming the cost off your travel insurance company!!

Sooooo angry, how can they rebook a hotel and not take a passenger off at that point?! They could but they chose not to as they know then they’d have to process a refund for Atleast the hotel part of the holiday for that passenger.

Can only contact via email and when I said we go in 11 days time I need to discuss this over the phone, they told me once again they could only email... which has taken 5 days to get a reply from!!!

Really disappointed as I’ve used on the beach for years but this has really put me off I should have independently booked the flights as it’s been no benefit going through a travel company to resolve any issues Angry

Please
or

Catherine1210 · 12/07/2020 19:21

Name change for our booking would be £350 and I really don’t want to spend another penny Confused

Please
or

Mairyhinge · 13/07/2020 21:47

@Catherine1210
Your partners mother is on the shielding list right? Would the travel insurance pay out for her?
I'm asking as we are due to fly to Majorca with Ryan air through on the beach in September and I've got the government letters as I've had to shield and am terrified of going. Yet I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to what to do!
Really worried about going, not sure if that letter gives me any clarity with on the beach or the insurance?
Anyone know what I can do?

Please
or

norri · 13/07/2020 21:52

On the beach are just a booking agent . It's unlikely Ryanair would refund the ticket due to shielding . You would probably be best claiming via your travel insurance provider for the flight and seeing if they would offer a reduction for the hotel cost if that makes sense ?

Please
or

norri · 13/07/2020 21:52

On the beach are just a booking agent . It's unlikely Ryanair would refund the ticket due to shielding . You would probably be best claiming via your travel insurance provider for the flight and seeing if they would offer a reduction for the hotel cost if that makes sense ?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?