Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Suggestions for stopovers between Hawaii and Paris to limit time in the air

9 replies

fitzbilly · 26/06/2020 12:52

I'm looking for any interesting suggestions of places/ countries to visit to break up a journey from Hawaii to Paris traveling east ( we will have come from the West). Initially set just thought California - East coast and then on to France but now I'm thinking there might be something a bit more interesting, like Mexico, Cuba etc!

We'll have two young children with us, hence the seven hour limit, and almost unlimited time really, as it's part of a year long trip around the world.

We'd probably stay 4 days to a week in any one place unless it really grabs us and fits our budget!

OP posts:
Please
or

fitzbilly · 26/06/2020 12:54

Sorry, that was not explained well.

We've given ourselves a limit of seven hours of traveling at any one time as one of our criteria. Not including time in the airport.

OP posts:
Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 26/06/2020 17:52

When are you planning to start this great sounding around the world journey?. In 2021 I trust?.

Are you all US citizens?. I ask this only as Americans may be barred from entering Europe very soon due to Covid 19.

Generally speaking flights from the Hawaiian islands to the US mainland leave those shores from lunchtime into the early afternoon arriving in to the West Coast in the evening (there is a three hour time difference between there and the us mainland). By that time practically all of the flights to European destinations will have departed so you would need to overnight in a hotel in the general area before flying on the next day.

You may actually want to instead consider flying from Hawaii towards Asia or Australia and go in that direction.

Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 26/06/2020 21:08

Now I’ve read it properly scratch heading west

I would look at going to somewhere like Orlando from the west coast given also that you have young children.

Please
or

fitzbilly · 27/06/2020 06:48

Hi Attila, thanks for your reply and the info.

Trip is set to go ahead in September 2021 in France, but we'll just delay it if necessary with covid, nothing else we can do really.

Not us citizens. From the UK.

OP posts:
Please
or

Flamingolingo · 27/06/2020 06:53

We were considering a Hawaii trip later this year (DH was going to a conference there). We had settled on NY and SF as cool cities to stop over in with the children. We also have friends near Miami so would probably do that on the way back.

Please
or

fitzbilly · 27/06/2020 10:55

Yes I think we might do a week in Yosemite and then a long weekend in NY.

Having done a bit more research that seems like the easiest option really.

OP posts:
Please
or

Flamingolingo · 28/06/2020 07:58

@fitzbilly you could also consider Big Sur, so fly into SF, hang around a couple of days, then drive down Highway 1, stopping in Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, Santa Barbara etc, then fly out of LA. We stayed in some little log cabins about halfway down Highway 1 and they were lovely. Then of course there is Vegas and the Grand Canyon. And DH would possibly say do the LA to San Diego section because he loves LaJolla, Laguna Beach etc (I’ve not done that section before). America, and that part in particular is made for fly-drive so I would probably plan to do a route, possibly hiring a camper/Winnebago if you have kids. We last did it long before children and I think with the kids I’d consider accommodation on wheels.

Please
or

fitzbilly · 28/06/2020 09:06

@Flamingolingo ooh those are good ideas I'll look into that. Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

Lonecatwithkitten · 28/06/2020 09:20

I would also consider Boston on the East Coast particular if your children are young. Boston children's museum, the aquarium, possible Whale watching, the swan boats on the common ( good playground), the historic dockyards, Harvard bookstore ( great children's department) and great playground on Harvard Common.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?