Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Belgium tips

4 replies

RenatoEugenio · 18/06/2020 15:28

My wife and I are thinking on going to Belgium (Burgess, Brussels) in mid August. As we are going to have her mother here and we need a break from our 4 kids. WE NEED A BREAK. We are on the edge of insanity. But anyway.
I was looking for the best ways to go. Driving, train, plane...

At first glance I thought of driving but as we only can spend 3 or 4 days, I thought that fly would be a good option too. But thinking about the covid situation, I don't really know what would be the best.

I found BA flights from LGW from 170 round trip.
But I wonder how it's going to work all the business.

I have doubts of renting a car there too. Or it's better to use public transport too?? But them the covid comes on my mind again.

As 4 kids we don't have a huge budget. We are definitely prioritizing this trip for our mental health.

If someone could help me with your opinions or tips for that trip I would appreciate.

Thanks all ☺️

OP posts:
Please
or

Starisnotanumber · 19/06/2020 18:57

Hi where are you travelling from? If you can use eurostar you can get to the centre of Brussels in under 2 hours, who knows how early you will have to get to airport to clear all the new measures.
You get to the main station in Brussels gare de midi. There is a reasonably cheap metro system directly from there.
Saying you are going to burgess is that a autocorrect for bruges.
If you are flying it will take you slightly less time in the air but much longer overall with all the check in stuff.
There are 2 airports that serve Brussels Cha leroi and Brussels. Ryanair go to charleroi others mainly Brussels Airport.
If you are on ryanair then you can get a bus directly to gare de midi in brussels for around 15 euro depending how much before you book. The journey takes around an hour you can also get a bus directly to bruges from airport.
Let me have a bit more information and I will try to help further

Please
or

SJaneS48 · 23/06/2020 11:58

Am also assuming you mean Bruges? The least hassle route I would have thought would be the Eurostar (not sure if/when this is running again!) and skip airports altogether. I much preferred Bruges to Brussels, it’s very pretty and small enough to walk around by foot with no need for public transport. My daughter liked the chocolate museum, canal and carriage ride and the Historium and my DH liked the huge beer glasses and beer varieties! It’s about 30/40 minutes onwards from Brussels by train. Brussels is bigger and not inexpensive - it does have quite a lot of interest if you like art but I’m not sure it’s a city that has appeal for everyone.

Please
or

MrsAvocet · 23/06/2020 12:37

Under normal circumstances I would definitely have said fly/use Eurostar and use public transport when you get there. You don't need a car to get around either city and in fact a car could be a nuisance if you are staying in either city centre. As PP's have said, Brugge is fairly compact and most of the tourist sites are within easy walking distance. Or hire bikes. Brussels is well served by public transport and though I've never done it, I imagine it would be easy enough to get a train between the 2 cities - it isn't a huge distance. My husband travels to Brussels on business regularly (well, he used to) and says that public transport from either airport into the city centre is easy.
We've always taken a ferry and driven when going on holiday, but mainly because we wanted to take our own bikes. Once we've got there we've not used the car a great deal and if I recall rightly, parking isn't great in either Brugge or Brussels. We've tended to park in outlying car parks and then cycle or use public transport. As you only have a short break I think you would spend a disproportionate amount of time travelling if you did that though, so your realistic options are probably train or plane, depending on your departure point. All travel options have pros and cons but there is going to be a risk whatever way you travel unfortunately. Its difficult to know what's best. Covid-19 has hit Belgium hard. There hasn't been as much publicity as for Italy and Spain but I believe they have had a lot of cases per head of population. Hopefully things will be better by the time you are wanting to travel though. It might be worth looking at what travel advice the Belgium government is giving its own citizens and using that as a basis for your decision.
I hope you get to have a nice holiday. I love Belgium and its probably the only country that I've visited that I would seriously consider moving to permanently. I think it is a very under rated travel destination.

Please
or

andyoldlabour · 23/06/2020 13:21

I think Belgium has the 2nd highest death rate in the World at the moment from Covid-19 @ 838 deaths per million.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?