Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Holiday cottage cancelled, no refund, no option to reschedule

57 replies

Whereareyourshoes · 31/05/2020 11:23

We had booked a week at a cottage at a site in Northumberland for the end of June and had paid in full. As they will still be closed due to restrictions at that time we asked to reschedule to a date when they are open. They have refused to allow us to reschedule saying we need to claim on travel insurance for any refund.

We had another booking at Easter time for a cottage in North Yorkshire and were able to reschedule to next year no problem.

Am interested in people’s experiences when they have booked cottages directly with owners. Has anyone else with a booking while restrictions are in place had a request to reschedule refused?

Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

RandomMess · 31/05/2020 11:28

Presumably you could take them to small claims court for that as they are not allowing you to go?

Please
or

Thecatisboss · 31/05/2020 11:35

We were meant to go on holiday last week but obviously couldn't. DH works in travel insurance and was saying that companies have been asked not to redirect to insurance as it isn't covered by that (by their trade body I think?)

I saw this article relating to it:
theconsumerlawyer.blog/2020/04/30/the-competition-markets-authority-confirms-its-view-of-the-law-relating-to-cancelled-bookings/

We threated the small claims court to our company and they are reluctantly giving a refund.

Please
or

DownToTheSeaAgain · 31/05/2020 11:45

Who buys travel insurance for a uk holiday?

Please
or

AllsortsofAwkward · 31/05/2020 11:48

They are pulling a fast one. I would threaten to take them to small claims.

Please
or

Moondust001 · 31/05/2020 11:52

Most travel insurance I have ever had doesn't cover UK holidays. You need to make a claim. Tell them (in writing) they have 14 days to refund you in full, and if they don't you will take legal action without further notice, which will result in their debt to you increasing with costs.

Please
or
Please
or

Clymene · 31/05/2020 11:58

I have annual travel insurance which put a statement on their page saying that they would not provide cover for any Covid related cancellations. So basically useless.

Please
or

ScarletFever · 31/05/2020 12:01

@DownToTheSeaAgain

You should have insurance for all trips, what happens if you need to get home?
And you need medical assistance all sorts of stuff

Or your trip has to be cancelled due to illness all sort of things
Please
or

ScarletFever · 31/05/2020 12:02

@Moondust001

Most travel insurance I have ever had doesn't cover UK holidays. You need to make a claim. Tell them (in writing) they have 14 days to refund you in full, and if they don't you will take legal action without further notice, which will result in their debt to you increasing with costs.

mine does, I have annual travel insurance and am covered for 2 nights or more in the uk
Please
or

CaptainMyCaptain · 31/05/2020 12:03

@DownToTheSeaAgain

Some people, like us, have a annual travel insurance that also covers UK travel.
Please
or

Clymene · 31/05/2020 12:10

I would look at that other thread OP. Ph47Bridge (or similar!) is a lawyer and I would follow his advice.

Travel insurance is useless so you will have to threaten with legal action.

Please
or

Whereareyourshoes · 31/05/2020 12:11

Thank you all, that's helpful.

OP posts:
Please
or

CherrySpritz · 31/05/2020 12:22

I do. Why wouldn’t I? If I, or someone I was going with became too ill to travel then insurance would cover the expense. My UK holidays aren’t cheap so, without insurance, I’d lose a lot of money if I couldn’t go.

Please
or

notheragain4 · 31/05/2020 12:31

I have travel insurance through my bank account, it covers UK trips so long as at least 2 days nights.

Did you pay by credit card? Is S75 a possibility?

If you have insurance it may be worth going to them because if they say it's the suppliers responsibility (which I suspect they would) you can take that back to them?

Please
or

Sewingbea · 31/05/2020 12:32

I would suggest letting them know that you will be using the small claims court too, it may give them pause to think and reconsider. If they don't then I'd fill in the online forms and carry out my promised action.

Please
or

BettyFilous · 31/05/2020 12:35

@Moondust001

Not true. It depends on your policy. We have an annual travel insurance policy with HSBC. It covers UK trips if there is a min 2 night stay and the accommodation is booked in advance. I was able to claim for a 5 night trip earlier this year that I couldn’t take due to emergency medical treatment. A lot of UK providers encourage you to take out insurance when booking.
Please
or

Sewingbea · 31/05/2020 12:35

There's an excellent pro forma letter on the other thread that you could cut and paste.

Please
or

GabsAlot · 31/05/2020 12:43

just threaten small claims court-they either shoujld move it for you or a refund

Please
or

SeriouslyRetro · 31/05/2020 12:46

Have they actually cancelled the booking?

Please
or

rwalker · 31/05/2020 12:52

There taking the piss it's down to them and tell them to claim on there business insurance .

Please
or

SwedishK · 31/05/2020 13:07

If they haven't cancelled your booking, it sounds like you cancelled because the amenities on the site won't be open, then I don't think you can demand a refund nor on your insurance. It would be up to them and their good will in that case.

The cottage is still available and accessible, just not everything around it.

Having said that, if you were my guests, I would have let you reschedule.

Please
or

MrsWooster · 31/05/2020 13:19

swedishk we’re not allowed to travel to stay away, at the moment. It was confirmed on shitshowbriefing the other day.

Please
or
Please
or

SwedishK · 31/05/2020 13:47

@MrsWooster

swedishk we’re not allowed to travel to stay away, at the moment. It was confirmed on shitshowbriefing the other day.

That's true, but the trip is in a months time. That may well change by then.
Please
or

dalrympy · 31/05/2020 13:54

Is it direct with the owner? Sykes Cottages have apparently acted really badly regarding refunds

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?