Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

I've just transferred my travel insurance dates.

12 replies

Justmuddlingalong · 23/05/2020 11:00

It might be worth contacting your travel insurer to ask about moving this years policy or cancelling it. I phoned ours as we've moved this year's summer holiday to next year. We were offered a full refund or to move the dates of the policy. I presumed we would have lost it, but thought it was worth a phonecall. No point in being further out of pocket.

OP posts:
Please
or

endofthelinefinally · 23/05/2020 11:06

Good idea.
We were discussing this last night. We have a voucher towards a holiday that we can't now use. I have emailed the company to ask for an extension.
Nobody can plan or book anything at the moment.

Please
or

Zodlebud · 23/05/2020 16:20

Our insurance also covers us for moving the trip to next year but it has to be the same trip. I can’t decide to go somewhere else instead.

Please
or

astuz · 23/05/2020 17:27

With my insurance, they'll only insure a trip that is moved to dates that are still within the dates of the insurance. So I buy yearly insurance running from 1st Jan - 31st Dec. I want to move our summer holiday to next summer - exactly the same holiday, but it's after 31st Dec. They've said they will only consider situations such as these on a case by case basis, which means ringing them up, which will means hours sat on hold I suspect. I'm going to try to get the insurance moved, but I'm dreading the hassle.

Please
or

Justmuddlingalong · 23/05/2020 18:55

Mine was just a single trip policy, that probably makes a difference. I'm with Zurich and got through straight away. It was quick and painless.

OP posts:
Please
or

chipsandpeas · 25/05/2020 18:20

i know virgin may let you do this but your not covered for corona

Please
or

Justmuddlingalong · 25/05/2020 18:36

Apparently my initial policy didn't cover a pandemic. Many didn't and the chances of being covered now will be practically non existent.

OP posts:
Please
or

Spike2020 · 03/06/2020 20:56

Hi

I’m not sure if other insurers are offering similar, but I have received a marketing Email from Staysure travel Insurance today stating that they are providing limited cover for COVID-19.

It states that your policy will provide cover for Coronavirus including Covid-19, for emergency medical expenses if you catch the virus during your insured trip.

Obviously there may be other terms, conditions and costs attached therefore these would need to be looked at and reviewed before purchasing, I am not endorsing just passing on information I recieved.

However thought it may be of use and worth exploring further if looking for travel insurance

Please
or

astuz · 04/06/2020 07:42

@Spike2020 That's worth knowing, because at least that then covers a really big expense that could occur.

The trouble with these ones that don't cover COVID though, is what if someone in your party gets ill with COVID just before you travel, or you're not even ill but fail a temperature test at the airport - even that would come under being COVID related, so there's still a risk of losing the whole cost of the holiday, but at least that's a lot less than a massive medical bill. And then there's the risk of more lockdowns.

The Foreign Office Advice is still "essential travel only" though anyway, and that invalidates ALL holiday travel insurance.

Please
or

cakemeupbeforeyougogo · 09/06/2020 07:50

Spike2021 why do you say this?

The Foreign Office Advice is still "essential travel only" though anyway, and that invalidates ALL holiday travel insurance.

Please
or

cakemeupbeforeyougogo · 09/06/2020 07:51

Oops I meant Spike2020 re my comment just now

Please
or

MrsReacher85 · 09/06/2020 07:59

Thanks for posting this, I was just able to move my policy to next year online and as I originally purchased prior to March this year, we are still covered for corona related issued.

Please
or

WaffleCash · 09/06/2020 08:07

The Foreign Office Advice is still "essential travel only" though anyway, and that invalidates ALL holiday travel insurance

I don't know whether it's all travel insurance but our policy clearly states the above. We wouldn't be covered as we'd be travelling against FCO advice.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?