Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Thailand in December?

12 replies

Londonalf · 19/05/2020 11:42

Hello

We are going to Thailand in December (hopefully... re-arranged from a trip that was cancelled due to Coronavirus).

We're going to Koh Samui and although our travel agent said the weather should be OK, i've read LOTS of things saying that there will basically be rain most days! I'd be gutted if this was the case.

Has anybody been to Koh Samui in December? What was it like, what can I expect..

OP posts:
Please
or

mmgirish · 22/05/2020 17:04

The rain is usually finished by then. It would be very unusual to have loads if rain at that time if year anywhere in Thailand.

Please
or

SamBee1 · 26/05/2020 17:19

You'd be unlikely to get rain endlessly in December, but the later the better. A couple of years back it was torrentially hit until mid January, but that was unlucky. West Coast is a lot safer in December. But it wouldn't stop me going.

Oh god, how i'd love to be going to Thailand anytime soon.

Please
or

mmgirish · 27/05/2020 16:51

What year was that SamBee? I just moved from Thailand. I was there for years.

Please
or

Londonalf · 27/05/2020 17:39

@mmgirish wow, how did you find living there? My dream is to retire there one day or live there for half of the year (sadly have a while to go).

OP posts:
Please
or

Londonalf · 27/05/2020 17:41

@sambee1 Thank you :-) we don't mind a bit of rain as it's always a risk when going to a tropical country. Just don't want to set ourselves up for certainty of being indoors for the entire trip!

OP posts:
Please
or

SamBee1 · 27/05/2020 18:12

@mmgirish - Storm Pabuak - so only a couple of years ago. Well, it was a typhoon until not far offshore - but rereading my message it had finished by about the 7th and was the worst storm in memory for most people. The heavy rains have pretty much died by end of November which is the only month i'd avoid as Samui airport has had closures.

I honestly wouldn't blink at going in December, something to look forward to! But the other coast is lower risk.

Please
or

Theyweretheworstoftimes · 27/05/2020 18:13

You want Khao Lak in December rather than Koh Samui

Please
or

mrsmummy111 · 27/05/2020 18:16

I went to Koh Samui in November and it was blazing sunshine every day, interspersed with small bouts of rain that lasted around 15/20 mins and then the sunshine was straight back out. We were also warned about the weather but it was absolutely no issue for us.

Please
or

taptonaria27 · 27/05/2020 18:19

I've been there in late November and had the same experience as mummy - is lots of sun with an occasional heavy shower

Please
or

mmgirish · 27/05/2020 18:33

That storm was a very unusual occurrence for that time of year. You'll be fine in Samui in December.

Please
or

mmgirish · 27/05/2020 18:35

@Londonalf I'm a teacher. Currently living in my 5th country. Thailand is a great place to live. We lived in Thailand for just over 6 years. We loved it.

Please
or

Londonalf · 27/05/2020 20:17

@mrsmummy111 thank you! This is kind of what im hoping for, can deal with short bouts of rain but days on end would not be so good.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?