Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

20-25 degrees in August (or Late May/Late October?)

8 replies

MissusMaker · 09/05/2020 13:58

Obviously thinking ahead to when we can travel freely again :)

It's currently about 22/23 degrees in my garden and with no breeze it's the perfect temperature for my heat-sensitive children to play in the pool but also warm enough for DH and I to enjoy. I'd be happy to holiday in the Uk at this temp but there is no consistency, you can't book a week at any time and be even mostly guaranteed to have good weather - it could easily be a drizzly, overcast 10 degree week. Is there anywhere that has these temps - less than 25 degrees say - consistently in August ideally, or in May/October half terms? Basically open to any distance/any ideas...

OP posts:
Please
or

Spike2020 · 09/05/2020 20:04

Canaries are around this temperature at October Half Term. We have booked to go to Tenerife in October (prior to COVID) and it states the Average 20-25 degrees with a minimal chance of rain

We have been previously and it is always pleasant at this time of year.

Please
or

LaurieFairyCake · 09/05/2020 20:07

Cornwall

I go every year in August and there's never any rain and it's always warm

If you did get a shower it blows over in an hour

Please
or

Elouera · 09/05/2020 20:11

We went to Sicily in Nov one year and people were still swimming. It was lovely to not have crowds to museums etc. Friendly people and plenty to see and do. Nothing like the opulence and expense of the Vatican museums in Rome, but lovely in other ways.

Crete had a lovely temp in Oct, and again, people swimming without the oppressive heat of summer. We stayed in Rethymon, but there are many other bays/areas which might be better suited for children.

Please
or

Justajot · 09/05/2020 20:21

We went to Tenerife in Oct half term. It was lovely, though definitely not hot. If you swim then you need a hotel with a heated pool. I'd recommend looking at lots of reviews to check that the pool isn't just heated but actually warm enough to want to swim in.

Tenerife seems to get cloudy, I'm not sure if Gran Canaria might be sunnier.

Please
or

MissusMaker · 09/05/2020 22:29

Ooh fab.

Canaries: yes, a definite contender. The kids would need a proper heated pool though, they are both skinny little things and would be shivering and blue inside 20mins otherwise based on experience.

Cornwall: ahh, I've always fancied Cornwall. From here it would take longer than flying to Spain (we live close to an airport - no direct flights to Newquay though!). Still a definite contender esp if flights are still questionable (next year).

Scilly: I really fancy Scilly. DS is a little bit volcano obsessed and DH loves culture/museum. We all like Italian/Mediterranean food. Top option I think.

OP posts:
Please
or

MissusMaker · 09/05/2020 22:31

I totally mean Sicily BlushBlushBlush

OP posts:
Please
or

Elouera · 10/05/2020 06:46

Another place we loved was Malaga city, as opposed to the many resorts down the coast from there. More like a working city with some touristy stuff and nice restaurants, whereas there are multiple resorts along with coast.

If you are foodies, and want slightly cooler than Malaga, on the north side of Spain you have the Basque region- Bilbao or San Sebastian. I was reviewing and looking up hotels, flights for there just before lockdown. Its next on our list for a holiday.

Please
or

SJaneS48 · 15/05/2020 06:34

I know you’re ruling Cornwall out on distance but unlike the PP, weather wise our Cornwall August holidays are usually pretty unlucky! I love it there and will always go back but sitting on the beach in my coat isn’t much fun!

Sicily is lovely. The countryside is scruffier and less polished than Northern Italy and while it might not have the art of the Renaissance cities, it does have a large amount of history, beautiful beaches, a volcano and wonderful food. It was conquered numerous times and you’ll find more Greek ruins here than in certain parts of Greece! We travelled around by train, flying into Catania ( the flight takes you very close to Etna on the way in), spent two days there and then took the 25 minutes train to Taormina. Taormina isn’t huge but is spread across a hill with Etna in the background. It’s a very pretty town with the most beautiful Greek amphitheatre and a little island off the beach (the Isola Bella) you can swim around. Summer it’s baking and heaving but October/May would be much nicer! We then took the train to Syracuse and stayed in Ortigia which was a hugely important city in the Greek Empire. Ortigia is one of the most beautiful places I’ve been and is built with a very pale stone, has lots of Greek ruins and good restaurants. You’re unlikely to find a hotel with a pool on Ortigia but it joins Syracuse where you can.

In terms of other May options - how about getting cheap flights into Verona, staying there a couple of days (it’s very pretty) and then taking the one of the frequent buses to one of the towns on Lake Garda and staying there? Or options I’d seriously consider are Southern Spain & Portugal - in particular Seville or Tavira.

I’ve been to Tenerife on a cheapie holiday with my parents years ago - the weather was really nice. I liked Tenerife more than I thought I would but in the South it’s very built up and I think other places have more to offer on the scenery, culture and history front. It’s does have some nice towns though and if you just want to chill in the sunshine abc watch the kids swim, it’s absolutely fine.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?