Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Jet2holidays taken our money without authorisation

10 replies

Marrvelous · 13/04/2020 09:52

We booked a holiday to Croatia last year with jet 2 holidays leaving 21 June . We only paid deposit and balance was due yesterday. We emailed on sat night to say we no longer wished to take the holiday and we would forfeit the deposit. 4 hours later they automatically debited our CC £8500 for remaining balance. I am furious, can they do this without authorisation?

OP posts:
Please
or

HairyPotter · 13/04/2020 09:55

Are you sure you didn’t tick the box to say it would be taken automatically from the original card on the due date?

Please
or

Tinyhumansurvivalist · 13/04/2020 09:57

Given its a bank holiday weekend the last working day was Thursday, therefore Saturday was past the date they could have done anything so yes yabu

Please
or

helpfulperson · 13/04/2020 13:37

I would also check the T&C's carefully. If you cancel the holiday you may owe them more than just the deposit. Especially if it was one of their low deposit holidays.

Please
or

AnnieJ1985 · 13/04/2020 13:41

If it was set up to be charged to your account on Sunday AM and you emailed on Saturday night, who is going to pick up that email?

Please
or

CanICelebrate · 13/04/2020 13:44

I’d ring them. I was in a similar position and rang them last week to officially cancel it so I lost the deposit, got back the £3000 I’d already paid and also my final payment won’t be taken. The difference is I gave them a weeks notice whereas it’s unlikely anyone saw your email in time. I got through on the phone fairly quickly to jet2.

Please
or

CanICelebrate · 13/04/2020 13:45

You can cancel with only losing the deposit up to the final payment date @helpfulperson but I think op only told them a couple of hours before the final date to cancel!!

Please
or

clolo · 13/04/2020 13:50

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

lubeybooby · 13/04/2020 14:05

Yabvu and lacking in thought there. Of course they aren't going to be able to do anything from a Saturday night email

Please
or

Undies1990 · 13/04/2020 14:21

You left it too late to contact them. Sending an email on Saturday in the middle of the Easter holidays, the day before payment was due was just plain idiotic. I work for a bank and have no doubt that your T&C's covered an agreement that the final payment would be taken yesterday.

Connect the company next week for a refund.

Please
or

Stellamboscha · 13/04/2020 16:29

You don't necessarily only lose the deposit if you do not cancel in time. What are the Ts and Cs you signed up to?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?