Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where to go in January with a 23 month old and a 4 month old?

10 replies

JungleGiraffe · 10/04/2020 10:53

We're thinking about booking a holiday just before DS turns 2 (when we'd have to pay for his flight), but we're not sure where. We originally chose Bali but then realised January is monsoon season.

We're looking for somewhere long haul. Good weather. Cheap ideally. Interesting culture.

We'd like to stay at an easy English-speaking resort, with childcare, a variety of vegetarian food and some entertainment. Plus some easy day trips that will provide car seats for the kids as we won't be bringing them.

Inspire me! Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

Nosuchluck · 01/05/2020 16:43

Flying long haul with a 23 month old on your lap could be hard going.

Please
or

wtftodo · 05/05/2020 20:26

Mexico is great then, but somewhere with a shorter flight might be easier eg Caribbean

Please
or

Ullupullu · 05/05/2020 20:27

Do you think everything will be back to normal in January 2021? This virus isn't going to magically disappear.

Please
or

Pidgythe2nd · 05/05/2020 20:27

Don’t do it. Won’t be a holiday imo.

Please
or

LolaLollypop · 05/05/2020 20:28

Judging by how things are going you might only be able to get as far as Cornwall OP!
But we went to Thailand last winter with our 18 month old and loved it. We stayed in Kao Lak. About 1hr drive north of Phuket airport and avoids all the madness of Phuket.

Please
or

Chillipeanuts · 05/05/2020 20:29

Wouldn’t book anything now.

Please
or

SpiderPlantSally · 05/05/2020 20:34

What do I know? - but I think it's fairly unlikely you'll be travelling long haul by January to be honest. Maybe somewhere in Europe if you're lucky.

Please
or

Greenlorry · 07/05/2020 18:40

Hi have you travelled long haul before with DC? I did it and it’s hard work he was 18months I wouldn’t want to do it with 2 DC. I would probably choose Spain due to the Short flight. It can be hectic travelling with kids. I did a week in Majorca and I had a great time it was my first time doing it alone and I was nervous.

Please
or

zafferana · 29/05/2020 18:45

With two DC under two on your lap I'd stick to somewhere that isn't long-haul. I know it's tempting when they're essentially flying for free, but that's such a long time to have a tired, hot, squirmy, mobile toddler on your lap, plus a baby on the lap of the other person. I flew long haul when I had one DC - but it was exhausting and tbh I only did it because we lived OS at the time and it was the only way to get back and see family. In January, if it's possible/safe to travel at that point, I'd head to the Canaries. It's a 4-5 hour flight and that's quite far enough, but it should be sunny.

Please
or

OnlyFoolsnMothers · 29/05/2020 18:52

Caribbean? Jamaica?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?