Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where would you take a <1 USA

10 replies

Babyshine2020 · 05/04/2020 17:15

As the title suggests where would you take a child under the age of 1 in the states?

I had flights booked to Vegas for my husbands birthday (pre-baby) to depart in May, however it looks like we aren't going. Our airline aren't doing refunds but are generating credits, so we have £1600 to spend. Our issue is that baby is due in August so we're going to have to go as a family (not an issue) but I'm not sure what to do/where to go with a young child in tow, and understandably it's a large amount of money to lose.

The airline (Delta) we are with fly to;
Atlanta
Boston
Vegas
LA
New York
Orlando

OP posts:
Please
or

Mumblechum0 · 05/04/2020 19:54

Please
or

Soontobe60 · 05/04/2020 19:57

TBH, I'd not take a young baby to the US at all. Why not book a long weekend for you and DH to New York as far away as possible when your baby will be older? Then Granny can look after baby.

Please
or

AlwaysCheddar · 07/04/2020 09:10

Any of those places will be fine with a baby. Just chose where to go based in weather. LA then drive to San Diego? Atlanta and see Hilton head/savannah? Vegas - baby will love the lights! Lots to do outside the strip.

Please
or

DartmoorChef · 07/04/2020 09:16

How long can you keep the credit for? If it were me i would wait couple more years and go to la, then there are lots of child friendly attractions like Disney plus the beaches too.

Please
or

User202004 · 16/04/2020 09:11

No I wouldn't, Coronavirus or otherwise. And you are entitled to a refund if the flight is cancelled, don't accept credits they have no value if the airline goes bust. Of the flight goes ahead but the FCO advice is the same, insurance or credit card protection are your next avenues.

You will have to demand it, not many places I've seen have been forthcoming with refunds, many are trying to trick you into cancelling yourself so you pay fees and they get some commission.

Please
or

Babyshine2020 · 16/04/2020 11:26

Thank you all
At the time of writing my airline was insistent on credits however since I've been offered a full refund as - I'm just waiting to hear back!

We knew it wouldn't be an ideal holiday but I've seen plenty of friends jet off with young children

OP posts:
Please
or

User202004 · 16/04/2020 12:53

Excellent :)

I think it depends on the person, I personally couldn't think of anything worse than taking babies/toddlers long haul, but know plenty who do.

Please
or

sm40 · 16/04/2020 12:59

I took a 8 month old to NYC for. Long weekend Few logistic issues on the subway etc but they loved babies. Go near central
Park.
Or Boston is very child friendly. Drive up to New England and lots of good beaches.
But if you can get a refund even better.

Please
or

Babyshine2020 · 16/04/2020 13:10

@sm40 I considered this, or go around Cape Cod. It wouldn't of been a trip like when we went to NY a few years ago, but hopefully the refund request will be accepted!

OP posts:
Please
or

sm40 · 16/04/2020 13:15

It's a much slower pace with a baby but that's nice in itself. Don't be over ambitious and book an apartment or a hotel with a separate bedroom so you can relax at night.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?