Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Easyjet only offering change flight or voucher

24 replies

whiteroseredrose · 30/03/2020 16:22

We booked with EasyJet to go to Iceland this week. Both flights are now cancelled (by them). On the iPad app it said that we could change flights or ask for a refund. We just had to go to 'Manage Disruption'. However when we do that we only have the option of choosing different flights (any airport, any date .. just pay the difference) or a voucher.

We would be likely to use Easyjet in future so could possibly accept a voucher. However DH wants a refund just in case they go bankrupt.

I can't get through on the phone because they're 'very busy' web chat is closed even during their opening hours so I've emailed them. This will take at least 28 days apparently.

We booked with a credit card but they want to exhaust all alternatives. I've submitted an insurance claim but again couldn't speak to anybody and have heard nothing.

Has anyone else had any success and if so what did you do? Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

TheDogsMother · 31/03/2020 14:17

Sorry no answers but please tell me how you found the 'manage disruption' bit ? I have gone into manage my booking and it doesn't appear to be an option.

Please
or

ShellsAndSunrises · 31/03/2020 14:20

Did you try on desktop or just iPad? According to Twitter; refunds were showing as an option on desktop yesterday, but not mobile.

Although I don’t think you can claim directly from easyJet once you’ve started an insurance claim, I think you now need to leave it and let the insurance company sort it. Read through your terms.

Please
or

whiteroseredrose · 31/03/2020 14:32

I found Manage Disruption on 'my itinerary' .

Unfortunately refund is mentioned on desktop but not actually one of the options given, just reschedule or voucher.

OP posts:
Please
or

TheDogsMother · 01/04/2020 15:30

@whiteroseredrose I can't see 'my itinerary' on desk top. Can I ask what route you took to find it ? 'Itinerary' is an option on the app but the voucher option isn't there.

Please
or

Aragog · 01/04/2020 15:41

Only way to get a refund is to call their customer service line. But they never answer.

I've been trying for last week. Should have flown yesterday.

It's driving me mad!

Please
or

Aragog · 03/04/2020 18:33

Just had an email. A few days ago I emailed the exec office, as well as the general one and twitter messages.

Please
or

Watchagotcha · 04/04/2020 08:30

Check out the EasyJet twitter account. There are many many tweets about refunds, including alternative numbers to call. Sometimes they even answer the tweets directly.

Please
or

Watchagotcha · 04/04/2020 08:35

0161 774 9879.

This number seems to work better than the official customer service number. But no promises!

Please
or

SpanishLady · 04/04/2020 08:59

Am sure you are not going to like my reply.

I am curious why you don't seem to understand these are extraordinary times. You write as if you fully intended to go on a trip in the middle of all this and have been inconvenienced by them cancelling your flight. Then the poor customer service which you don't imagine could be because of the sheer volume of passengers all impacted at once they have to deal with.Then you want to rebook? For when?
I don't have a crystal ball I totally admit but if I may help you plan with perspective - you won't be going anywhere this year and you might never go anyway again with this airline - it needs to survive this and plenty of businesses are not going to.
I know I am being harsh but it's like your post is pre-covid - I don't understand!

Please
or

Boomboomboomboom · 04/04/2020 09:11

Spanishlady must have read a different post.

My flight out for Sunday was naturally cancelled about a month ago and I asked for a refund for both legs (when that was still available) online nearly 3 weeks ago.
I still haven't had a refund and worse still that have sent me another email suggesting my return flight (for which I'd already requested a refund) is now cancelled and I can have another flight or voucher instead. I have no idea if they ste actually processing my refund.
Airbnb refunded me within days.
Car parking refunded me within days.
Easyjet still haven't.
I may try and call next week before asking my credit card company to investigate.

Please
or

DeeCeeCherry · 04/04/2020 09:28

SpanishLady passengers aren't company shareholders nor are they there to give airlines interest free loans to tide company over so, airlines should not in fact be holding onto passenger money.

We are in unprecedented times yes but to me the above still stands. Whatever backup plans the airlines now have via government and shareholders then thats what needs to be pursued.

Please
or

Aragog · 04/04/2020 10:05

Spanishlady - I didn't want to rebook for later in the year. That was the point. I wanted a refund as I didn't know when or where we'd be okay to rebook for. For a while before my flights I knew I wouldn't be going anyway. It was EasyJet who didn't cancel the flights until the last minute, thereby making it harder to get money back etc.

All I wanted was the money back, or at the very least the knowledge that though it may take time I would indeed be refunded.

But EasyJet made that impossible and were pushing rebooking and vouchers. Vouchers that needed to be used within six months.

Fortunately my persistence paid off. I had an email last night to say it was being processed and the refund is back in my CC today.

Please
or

helpfulperson · 04/04/2020 10:48

@SpanishLady I agree with you. If everyone insists on refunds then when we come out of this the airlines aren't going to exsist at all.

Please
or

Aragog · 04/04/2020 12:23

So what is the answer then?

Book for a flight you have no idea if you'll be able to use?
Book a flight without knowing if you can get the holidays off for?
Take a credit voucher and risk them going bust?
Accept you are going to lose your money instead?

Please
or

LIZS · 04/04/2020 12:44

@Aragog agree with you. Well done. What email address did you succeed with in the end?

@SpanishLady We had a miserable check in experience at Christmas with EJ then late cancellation of our flight last weekend with no refund offered despite it being a legal entitlement. Why should we be held to ransom for future flights that may or may not happen? Even had we cancelled our trip first we would have got the taxes refunded regardless. EJ has been in trouble before this and trying to sell package holidays and additional routes to fill the TC/FlyBe void has been a step too far.

Please
or

Aragog · 04/04/2020 13:42

I sent to these two the other day.
Also sent lots on Twitter messages to the EasyJet account.
And we also emailed the CC company 2-3 days ago.

Please
or

YukoandHiro · 04/04/2020 13:52

Ask to speak to a manager. This happened to my friend with BA and she got an immediate refund when she escalated it

Please
or

LIZS · 04/04/2020 14:05

That is assuming you can get through to speak to anyone!

Please
or

halfgirlhalfturnip · 04/04/2020 14:12

I work for an airline and we are asking customers to put their bookings on hold too. We are desperate to survive this and I guess are asking for a bit of support and faith. I have paid for easyJet flights too and expect to take a voucher. I would prefer a refund but will take the voucher as hopefully I will travel again with them - we will be a poorer nation with no easyJet (I don't work for them). Airlines make a tiny margin compared to hotels, with very high fixed costs. I don't think they are trying to be "fly" but are doing everything in their power to survive. If you can, take the voucher and remove the stress of fighting for a refund from your mind. I appreciate not everyone can afford this but realistically it was already spent..

Please
or

Aragog · 04/04/2020 14:40

Ask to speak to a manager.

Trouble is you can't get through to speak to anyone.

I appreciate not everyone can afford this but realistically it was already spent..

I could have afforded to forget about I guess,, but would rather not waste £300 if I don't have to. Whilst is was money spent it was part of DD's birthday celebrations. I'd rather have that cash returned to use the money on alternative gifts. Her 18th birthday is already different enough in this new environment without having part of her present nor an alternative either.

And as she will off to university soon we have no idea when we could take a similar trips don't have her term dates - and every single possible date we could think of was a lot dearer than what we had paid out.

Please
or

reasonswhyimdifferent · 04/04/2020 14:41

According to Martin Lewis you’re entitled to a cash refund. It was in one of his emails this week.

Please
or

TheDogsMother · 04/04/2020 14:54

There was an article about this on the BBC website this morning. Lo and behold an email arrived within a couple of hours reassuring customers that they were working through the bookings, we would all be contacted with the offer of rebooking, voucher or refund

Please
or

LIZS · 04/04/2020 14:58

Bbc news were gathering info about this on fb a few days ago.

Please
or

Celeriacacaca · 17/04/2020 15:47

Easyjet have just responded to my Tweet re a refund and asked me to fill in this form to claim a refund //bit.ly/34otD53

Here's hoping.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?